Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$ 50 Off
Expiry:
June 15, 2017
Retailer:
Best Buy Canada
Garmin DriveSmart 5" GPS with HD traffic which delivers traffic updates every 30 seconds and this is LMT model so free lifetime map updates with no ads or subscription fees.
I picked one yesterday and they had 16 in stock ( Best Buy - Eglinton/Warden)

Costco is selling similar 50 LMT for $269.99 and Amazon for $319.99
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2687 posts
163 upvotes
This is unit I was looking at .
Dec 29, 2013
351 posts
128 upvotes
Montr
What are the differences between this unit and the ones sometime on sale at Costco for 100$-120$ (also with lifetime map) ? Sorry the the vague question; I don't remember what models were on sale at Costco but I remember reading threads about them.
Apr 14, 2015
18 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Desperadude wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 10:50 am
What are the differences between this unit and the ones sometime on sale at Costco for 100$-120$ (also with lifetime map) ? Sorry the the vague question; I don't remember what models were on sale at Costco but I remember reading threads about them.
Most likely has to do with the traffic update feature. Last time I check they use radio updated for traffic.
Feb 26, 2011
148 posts
72 upvotes
Calgary
Seems like this one also has bluetooth for phone calls.
  • Customizable smartphone notifications allows you to display calls, texts, and other app alerts on the navigation screen
  • Fatigue Warning activates on long drives, suggesting break times and potential rest areas
Dec 29, 2013
351 posts
128 upvotes
Montr
I think the "big" feature that makes this unit more expensive is dash cam - related

As I don't really care about dash cam (or fatigue warning, etc), I will wait for the next sale in the range 100-120$
Sep 29, 2013
113 posts
55 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Desperadude wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 2:38 pm
I think the "big" feature that makes this unit more expensive is dash cam - related

As I don't really care about dash cam (or fatigue warning, etc), I will wait for the next sale in the range 100-120$
I thought it was the HD traffic which is supposedly much better than the old FM style traffic which was honestly crap in Canada. Anyone with experience? The Bluetooth sounds useful but not a deal maker, however the HD traffic could be.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2010
52 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
only used it couple times and its smart enough to detect a railway crossing or red light cameras. sometimes it says " take right at Scotia bank or esso gas station "which is cool
I'm planning a big road trip to DC and NY next month so hopefully will provide some feedback on HD traffic after
Oct 25, 2005
237 posts
90 upvotes
BestBuy has this unit on sale again

Anyone else figure out the differences?

Costco is selling the Drive 50LMT for $199
Bestbuy is selling this unit DriveSmart 50LMTD for $179 on sale (valid to Aug 17th)

The only differences I can see are:
It includes voice activated navigation
It includes Bluetooth functions (calling, smartphone alerts)
It supports BLE (very foggy on what advantage this has based on google searches, only thing it would seem to be advantage to us is lower power consumption as more advanced features seem pointless to a gps)
Weather Alerts

Now here is where it gets tricky
On Garmins site & BestBuy site there is a slight difference in model
So I am not sure if it actually supports the SmartNav features (eg Red Light Camera warnings, School Zone alerts, Fatigue alerts etc)
Anyone else try this model yet?
Jun 19, 2011
194 posts
46 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
I believe there are two 50LMT models: Drive Assist is with dash cam, and Drive Smart is without.

The one with dash cam is about $275+
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
2830 posts
42 upvotes
Home
Anyone know if data is required to use the live traffic feature on this unit ? I am also looking to purchase this unit for live traffic updates on the 401.
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24452 posts
5259 upvotes
GTHA
professionaldude wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:39 am
Anyone know if data is required to use the live traffic feature on this unit ? I am also looking to purchase this unit for live traffic updates on the 401.
This unit supports 'HD Digital Traffic,' this does not need data.
HD Digital Traffic coverage: https://coverage.here.com/hd-coverage.html

Optionally, you can use this unit with the Garmin Smartphone Link App (uses data) for 'live traffic' updates
Smartphone Link Traffic coverage: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en ... Bwp7ohwWN8

Traffic service comparison for North American automotive devices
Garmin offers three different types of traffic services in North America: Garmin Traffic, Smartphone Link Traffic, and HD Digital Traffic. All three traffic services receive traffic data from HERE. https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en ... t7iwvYnz18
Dec 6, 2012
367 posts
79 upvotes
Regina
Likely no HD traffic for Saskatchewan?
Oct 28, 2015
151 posts
20 upvotes
north york, ON
how does this unit compare to 2597? I had the 2597 but it's dead.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)