• May 8th, 2015 12:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2013
624 posts
121 upvotes

Best Buy Canada invites other retailers to its online marketplace

Best Buy reveals today that it is launching in the fall an online “marketplace” in a move that can expand its product offerings into more categories and help it take on digital powerhouses eBay.ca and Amazon.ca. It is preparing to invite other merchants to sell their products on its e-commerce site. Under the new strategy, Best Buy will receive a commission on sales of other retailers’ goods, while giving those merchants broader exposure than they can achieve on their own.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e24268094/
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
So it'll become a flea market like Amazon where you have to search for Amazon as the seller since, often, the main page is sold by a third party.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
NG wrote:
May 6th, 2015 10:54 am
So it'll become a flea market like Amazon where you have to search for Amazon as the seller since, often, the main page is sold by a third party.
Yes and you'll have to sort through all the fine print for shipping fees and have to wade through endless aliexpress/dx type products to find an actual legit one.

Adios bb.ca you greedy pigs, it's been fun.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4122 posts
739 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
fungery wrote:
May 6th, 2015 8:51 am
Best Buy reveals today that it is launching in the fall an online “marketplace” in a move that can expand its product offerings into more categories and help it take on digital powerhouses eBay.ca and Amazon.ca. It is preparing to invite other merchants to sell their products on its e-commerce site. Under the new strategy, Best Buy will receive a commission on sales of other retailers’ goods, while giving those merchants broader exposure than they can achieve on their own.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e24268094/
They've already done that with their US site, so it was only a matter of time until it happened up north. The consolidation of FS and BB only makes it easier as they won't have to replicate it to both, or worry about 1 having it and the other not.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7779 posts
1406 upvotes
The ship from store is not good news for us clearance deal seakers
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Why would other retailers want to give BB a cut of their profits? They may as well go with eBay.ca or Amazon.ca.

I had a feeling that BB stores would be the next to go, and it appears that for the most part I was right. They're even taking an idea I posted here a few months ago and turning them into distribution hubs. Where's my commission BB?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
zoro69 wrote:
May 6th, 2015 12:40 pm
The ship from store is not good news for us clearance deal seakers
No more impulse buys. My wallet has been pretty much safe since Target waved bye-bye.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21617 posts
7520 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
May 7th, 2015 12:59 am
Why would other retailers want to give BB a cut of their profits? They may as well go with eBay.ca or Amazon.ca.
More exposure. For some reason people still shop at Best Buy so there's no reason to NOT list it on Amazon/BB/eBay/Newegg/etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13977 posts
2892 upvotes
BB provides a B&M return option. Something goes wrong on eBay or Amazon, you're playing email tag and sending stuff back and forth.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
855 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
May 7th, 2015 12:59 am

I had a feeling that BB stores would be the next to go, and it appears that for the most part I was right. They're even taking an idea I posted here a few months ago and turning them into distribution hubs. Where's my commission BB?
Why limit yourself to 1 place instead of selling them @ all of the above? Sure BB gets a cut but if their cut isnt going to cut into your profit margins, there is no reason to not work with them. Of course the question then becomes do they actually increase your sales or if its a waste of time. That's why many online store have amazon and ebay stores selling the exact same thing. Prices could be cheaper at one place or the other but bottom line is your products are exposed to customers of both sites.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
death_hawk wrote:
May 7th, 2015 5:10 pm
More exposure. For some reason people still shop at Best Buy so there's no reason to NOT list it on Amazon/BB/eBay/Newegg/etc.
GVRtrader wrote:
May 7th, 2015 10:49 pm
Why limit yourself to 1 place instead of selling them @ all of the above? Sure BB gets a cut but if their cut isnt going to cut into your profit margins, there is no reason to not work with them. Of course the question then becomes do they actually increase your sales or if its a waste of time. That's why many online store have amazon and ebay stores selling the exact same thing. Prices could be cheaper at one place or the other but bottom line is your products are exposed to customers of both sites.
I suppose it does make sense as an added "window". But BB at this point just seem to carry too much negativity to be much help. It would make more sense to stick with the established sites, or perhaps a new Canadian-specific site if that could be an option. Or perhaps get WM to carry them, on the basis of WM next moving to take on Amazon. I really can't see a BB version of Amazon having much success, regardless of their hopes.

Going back to the idea I posted here a few months ago about turning the abandoned Target (and now FS) stores into local distribution hubs for online retailers, (so they can do their own deliveries, rather than using couriers, possibly much faster, and also have a local physical presence), maybe it's time for Amazon to consider it. Apparently it was good enough for BB to try it. I remember at the time wishing I had a few billion in the bank, because I think it's an idea that can be a winner in the current retail market. But not under BB. I just don't associate them with good deals anymore, and I'm sure I'm not alone.