Shopping Discussion

Best Buy charged BC HST on a Playstation Network card..

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2010 3:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1807 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouveresque

Best Buy charged BC HST on a Playstation Network card..

I bought a Playstation Network card a few days ago at Best Buy, and I just checked my receipt and noticed that I was charged HST for the card. When I purchased items from the Playstation Network using the card, tax was deducted again, so either Sony or Best Buy is charging tax in error, I think. If I add funds to my Playstation Network account directly with a credit card, I am not charged taxes at that time.

Since this is a prepaid card similar to a gift card, shouldn't it be HST exempt as Best Buy does not have any service charges for the consumer when buying these sorts of cards?
6 replies
Jan 2, 2007
335 posts
27 upvotes
North Bay
That sounds fishy.

Buying PSN money should be like getting a gift card for a store.

I've never purchased anything on my PS, but i know they charge tax, being charged twice, id call BB and see if its a mistake on their end.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
They charge for Xbox Live too, it's been on-going since the start even before hst
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1290 posts
849 upvotes
St Catharines
Yes, but with XBOX Live, you're buying points, not actual Canadian currency that is used to purchase games, etc. Microsoft can't charge you actual tax when you redeem your points, but PSN uses actual currency, so they can.

You should not have been charged any tax on the PSN card.
Aug 22, 2007
6 posts
Malton
same here buddy. I buy OGP Cards, from time to time. I used to buy them before for just 25$ at bestbuy. But now with the HST, I have to pay tax, which is dumb, b/c they never charged it before.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
It was probably just a computer error. There should be NO tax charged on PSN cards, but tax is charged for xbox cards (as noted above)

At my store (not best buy) I have to manually change the tax field to no tax if I sell a PSN card, so if it's similar at best buy the associate may have just charged it as a mistake. It could also have to do with their computer systems changing around for the tax update to HST, and is accidentally charging HST on things that should not have any tax.

I would just take the receipt in to customer service and explain the situation, they should be able to refund the tax to you.

And to the poster above me, I don't know what OGP cards are, but if it's a cash giftcard and you get charged tax when you used it, you should NOT be getting charged HST for it. It may be the same situation that explained above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1807 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Yeah, I've been meaning to take the receipt in.. especially since they just got a new computer system. It was only two bucks or so though so I haven't made my way down there yet.

I noticed that there were two line items on the receipt, one that was tax exempt but was priced at $0.00 while the $20 item was taxed..

Wasn't entirely sure on the tax situation in this case. :) Thanks everyone.