• Jan 24th, 2019 3:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1453 posts
2504 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[Best Buy] D-Link Av2 1000 Gigabit Powerline $49.99

Pretty good deal on a powerline kit. Most places sell these at $99. Also all time low on Camel x3

Bestbuy - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... 28780.aspx?
Amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DHP-P621AV ... -link&th=1

Bestbuy also has the wireless one on sale for $99
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d- ... 51001.aspx?
Last edited by Mahawka on Jan 2nd, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
88 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3254 posts
1651 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
How clean can these be compared to Wireless in a home?

Can the Power go through the breaker into other switches around the home or only the same line from the breaker?
---
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8272 posts
558 upvotes
kanechart wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 3:57 pm

Can the Power go through the breaker into other switches around the home or only the same line from the breaker?
they tell you no, but i have it working on two separate breakers and i have heard others also getting it to work.
i have a separate breaker for the pool house and all the electrical in the backyard. But yet my TPLINK AV2000 works great.
Jul 5, 2017
169 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I've been using one for the past 5+ years and would highly recommend for households where the wifi can be unreliable. Works great for anyone using desktops on a different floor than the router.

Can't speak to this specific power line, would highly recommend to desktop users that stream, download, or game.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7151 posts
1242 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
kanechart wrote:

You'll have to buy a set and try.
It depends on the electric wiring of your house.
These usually work a bit more consistent than wireless. At least in my own experience.
The signal can go through breakers but the more it has to jump through the worst it'll get on the other end.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2686 posts
1286 upvotes
Montreal
I've tried a few sets and even though I have a fairly new construction (<5 years) some outlets work much better than others. Unfortunately, the one nearest my modem is one that does not like my powerline too much, but I tried with a long ethernet cable on a different outlet in the same room and it works great. Don't give up after the first try if you don't seem to get great speeds.

I've had AV500, AV1000, AV2000.
AV500 was a huge bottleneck though. So far I've only owned D-Link but I hear Netgear and TP-Link have really good offerings too.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1292 posts
344 upvotes
Edmonton
Powerline does work. better than wireless I can tell you that much. I hate wireless when you are looking for reliable connection when gaming.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11975 posts
3892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I like the fact that this model has passthrough, so where you have a powerbar with multiple devices plugged in, you can plug this into the wall outlet and plug the powerbar to it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1453 posts
2504 upvotes
Calgary, AB
kanechart wrote:

Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Aug 3, 2010
314 posts
101 upvotes
I still highly recommend people not use powerlines now that coax moca devices are available for dirt cheap (e.g. i bought mine new for $40 each). The issue i had with powerlines is the advertised speeds were never near reality, and the flakiness of the connection. They don't even support jumbo frames. I had powerlines for about 4 years. But i finally switched to moca devices (think of them as the equivalent of powerlines but they use your coax instead). Speeds are at gigabit speeds (no BS'ing). And connection is rock solid. It's been 6 months and still hasnt gone done. I am using the Actiontec double-bonded (fan vents on top) brands if anyone is interested.

Nov 18, 2006
699 posts
81 upvotes
Montreal
Im in the market to upgrade my older powerline set, i think ill wait for the AV2000 to come on sale.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
Powerline ethernet doesn't have a problem passing between circuits on different breakers as long as they are on the same phase. Homes in North America generally have two-phase power. Half the circuits in your house will be on one phase, and half on the other phase in order to distribute the load for the power company. Generally it follows the two-column layout of your breaker panel. Unfortunately the two phases are not physically connected to each other at the breaker panel, so you will get only weak RF coupling between them, leading to a very poor powerline ethernet connection. Sometimes even plugs on opposite sides of the room are on different phases, so what you want to do is experiment by keeping one powerline ethernet adapter in place and moving the other end between different plugs to find two that are on the same phase. You'll typically see a dramatic difference in speed.
Last edited by Exp315 on Jan 2nd, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2473 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
brand404 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 4:59 pm
I still highly recommend people not use powerlines now that coax moca devices are available for dirt cheap (e.g. i bought mine new for $40 each). The issue i had with powerlines is the advertised speeds were never near reality, and the flakiness of the connection. They don't even support jumbo frames. I had powerlines for about 4 years. But i finally switched to moca devices (think of them as the equivalent of powerlines but they use your coax instead). Speeds are at gigabit speeds (no BS'ing). And connection is rock solid. It's been 6 months and still hasnt gone done. I am using the Actiontec double-bonded (fan vents on top) brands if anyone is interested.

Where'd you get them for $40 each?

Edit - not a pair - These sell for 130 on amazon currently
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11975 posts
3892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brand404 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks for that... didn't know these existed so it's great there is one more option available. Where did you get those devices for $40 each? I just looked it up on Amazon and according to CCC it hasn't dropped below $100. I wouldn't mind trying this out.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3824 posts
601 upvotes
Windsor
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 5:20 pm
Thanks for that... didn't know these existed so it's great there is one more option available. Where did you get those devices for $40 each? I just looked it up on Amazon and according to CCC it hasn't dropped below $100. I wouldn't mind trying this out.
I also moved on from Powerline to MOCA, much more reliable.

Got mine for around $40 ea too on eBay... They are Telus branded Actiontec, so I assume the guy is getting them cheap from Telus somehow. They work great anyway as the previous poster has said....