Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

De Buyer Pans on sale

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2018 1:04 pm
Mar 14, 2016
48 posts
45 upvotes

[Best Buy] De Buyer Pans on sale

There are multiple De Buyer Frying Pans on sale at Best Buy. I tried to compare with amazon current and camel price history, it's hard to match by mode l number (as they different ones), but comparing by size shows this is not the lowest ones, but very very close.
As always do not forget ebates
41 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
2011 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
Bought the 12.5 inch mineral B back in April on amazon.ca for $49.99 as reference.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
here comes 5 pages of "how to season the pan properly" again
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1285 upvotes
manho wrote: here comes 5 pages of "how to season the pan properly" again

So I take it that you have nothing left to learn?

I actually appreciate some of the side commentary about how to use and maintain products. Over the years, I've learned a great deal from fellow RFDers and that goes well beyond learning which store has the lowest price for a particular product.
Sep 6, 2005
966 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
kneevase wrote:
So I take it that you have nothing left to learn?

I actually appreciate some of the side commentary about how to use and maintain products. Over the years, I've learned a great deal from fellow RFDers and that goes well beyond learning which store has the lowest price for a particular product.
I totally agree. I always learn something new with the seasoning, even though I have all my pans seasoned.

Totally recommend these pans though, but got to spend the time and effort to season properly.
MY HEATWARE 8-0-0

100% Ebay Feedback!
Mar 5, 2011
537 posts
246 upvotes
manho wrote: here comes 5 pages of "how to season the pan properly" again
I am actually waiting for those - still need to season my pan from the last sale.

I also got the 12" for 49.99
Mar 13, 2017
390 posts
345 upvotes
I'm considering buying the "country style" pan for use as a stirfry pan/wok. On glass induction - anyone have any thoughts?
I have a couple De Buyer frying pans already.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
lion1116 wrote: I am actually waiting for those - still need to season my pan from the last sale.

I also got the 12" for 49.99
Since you asked, here's the best info I've found:

A blog that explains the science involved: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/

A blog that tests/reviews the above method: http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my- ... ned-224612#_

A video demonstrating essentially the same thing:
Banned
Jun 2, 2018
117 posts
192 upvotes
kneevase wrote: So I take it that you have nothing left to learn?

True, everyone's an expert at something.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
I bought 3 pans years ago and my seasoning never really worked well. Did various methods from lard to olive oil to flaxseed oil, still subpar results. Now they sit in a drawer and never get used.

I should probably get my act together and try it one more time or just sell em. Amazing pans if you get em done right, just seemed to elude me despite me thinking I had a modicum of culinary/technical ability lol.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Apr 17, 2006
241 posts
268 upvotes
Does anyone have the 12" crepe pan? I don't want to make crepes at all.... looks pretty versatile for other needs.... any owners comments?
May 11, 2008
201 posts
71 upvotes
[quote="caddie" post_id=29533361 time=1530931970 user_id=44385]Does anyone have the 12" crepe pan? I don't want to make crepes at all.... looks pretty versatile for other needs.... any owners comments?[/quote]

I bought the 9" crepe pan and an 11" fry pan about 2-3 years ago from Costco. The crepe pan is very versatile and it has become my favourite pan for eggs, pancakes, french toast, even fried steaks and fish. We use it way more than the fry pan and I am thinking about buying the 12" crepe pan now....

As for seasoning, I used the thin flaxseed oil + bake at high temp several times method but found that didn't work very well. In another thread on these pans, someone suggested a potato skins + oil method (link below). So I sanded my pans down to the bare iron using 60 grit sandpaper and restarted. The potato skins method worked much better - the only suggestion I have is to use a steel or high heat silicone spatula during the seasoning because of the very high heat. I first used a cheap plastic one and the plastic melted into the seasoning (I started over by sanding it down again).

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... -steel-pan

Once it is seasoned, don't wash it with soap and water after cooking. Just wipe it down with a paper towel and it's good to go for the next use.
Sep 6, 2005
966 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Jimmydeals wrote: I'm considering buying the "country style" pan for use as a stirfry pan/wok. On glass induction - anyone have any thoughts?
I have a couple De Buyer frying pans already.
That was my first debuyer product and its also the most used (I stir fry a lot). I love the depth, but definitely also heavier.
MY HEATWARE 8-0-0

100% Ebay Feedback!
Jan 12, 2017
200 posts
204 upvotes
vancouver
Is De Buyer a higher quality brand? I am in need of a new frying pan... all non-stick pan I tried failed after a few months (med heat, no metal utensils). Been resorting to use my heavy cast iron lodge skillet for simple fried eggs.

...too bad specs online doesnt display the weight of these pans
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Love this pan. I did 12 iterations of flax seed oil baking in the oven, to season the pan before I cooked with it.
There is no comparison when making bacon and eggs!
Jan 30, 2017
39 posts
28 upvotes
Ordered a 8.5 inch one for $29. See how it goes. I quite like my cast iron pan after getting used to the seasoning process. My method is much simpler. I use any handy oil (having tried all kinds) that works on high temps. Used canola last time. Rub it into washed pan by hand. Rub it off by paper or cloth. Bake it in bbq at high temp. 500+. Repeat 3-4 times. Check it after it cools down. Does it have a uniform sheen? Does it feel slippery? Use it to fry or cook. It may stick at the first go, but give it a few tries. After a few tries, the surface should feel slippery. It should feel non stick when you touch it.
Aug 16, 2009
716 posts
587 upvotes
Richfields wrote: I bought 3 pans years ago and my seasoning never really worked well. Did various methods from lard to olive oil to flaxseed oil, still subpar results. Now they sit in a drawer and never get used.

I should probably get my act together and try it one more time or just sell em. Amazing pans if you get em done right, just seemed to elude me despite me thinking I had a modicum of culinary/technical ability lol.
I had issues as well but this method seems to work for me and has gotten much better over time.
https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/doc ... -pan_1.pdf
It might be worth a try before you sell them.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2933 posts
1523 upvotes
North York
Any of these okay on the glass top induction stoves? I think we already scratched ours with a lodge cast iron.
Oct 15, 2009
955 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Highly recommend the rock pans from Costco. You get two 9" and 12" I believe for like $40 and it's the best pans I've ever owned. Every other pan says non stick but you always have to be careful otherwise they still stick (think eggs with little oil). I've never ever had anything stick to the rock pans from Costco. Amazing pans, highly recommend. Truly non stick.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
bulletdodger wrote: I bought the 9" crepe pan and an 11" fry pan about 2-3 years ago from Costco. The crepe pan is very versatile and it has become my favourite pan for eggs, pancakes, french toast, even fried steaks and fish. We use it way more than the fry pan and I am thinking about buying the 12" crepe pan now....

As for seasoning, I used the thin flaxseed oil + bake at high temp several times method but found that didn't work very well. In another thread on these pans, someone suggested a potato skins + oil method (link below). So I sanded my pans down to the bare iron using 60 grit sandpaper and restarted. The potato skins method worked much better - the only suggestion I have is to use a steel or high heat silicone spatula during the seasoning because of the very high heat. I first used a cheap plastic one and the plastic melted into the seasoning (I started over by sanding it down again).

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... -steel-pan

Once it is seasoned, don't wash it with soap and water after cooking. Just wipe it down with a paper towel and it's good to go for the next use.
What problem did you have with the flax oil & high heat method? If you get that sorted, you'll get a real seasoning layer that can be washed with soap.
If it was flaking off, the most likely solution is to make sure the steel is absolutely clean first (use oven cleaner or your oven's self-clean cycle to be sure); then heat the pan to 450F for an hour (I'd even suggest 500F) to get a bit of black rust (magnetite) before seasoning - see this page:
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... seasoning/