Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Denon AVR-S720W - Bestbuy - 399$ - Boxing Day

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 6:53 pm
Jul 23, 2009
108 posts
27 upvotes
You're right, RCA is correct - you do hear composite all the time for 'em, even Denon calls them composite audio.

And yeah, I haven't seen an actual Phono input on a receiver in over a decade. Most of the time they weren't very good anyway, you'd be better off just making your own.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
2011 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
AstonM wrote: You can't price match a Boxing Day sale item.
Guess I'll just have to buy a second one and return the first then.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
surrealillusion wrote: Guess I'll just have to buy a second one and return the first then.
Keep in mind the serial number is usually on the receipt for items like this as it's usually scanned on a barcode that appears on the outside of the box (not the UPC, a separate one). You can do what you plan but will probably have to make sure the correct units stay with the correct receipts.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
2011 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: Keep in mind the serial number is usually on the receipt for items like this as it's usually scanned on a barcode that appears on the outside of the box (not the UPC, a separate one). You can do what you plan but will probably have to make sure the correct units stay with the correct receipts.
Of course I fully expect to pack the old one up and bring it back. A bit of a hassle but given there's a BB 10 mins from me it's worth it.
Nov 5, 2006
101 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
anwbear wrote: Polk Audio R50 on sale for $250 for the pair
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/pol ... 85189.aspx

london drugs has Pioneer SPFS52 for $300
https://www.londondrugs.com/pioneer-and ... 38775.html

these are the 2 I am looking at right now, if an expert can tell me which one is better, that would help me out. Thanks!
you can read review or owners impressions at avsforums or many other forums but that will just give you opinion of others. In my opinion speaker is a very subjective choice. If I were you I will buy both and keep the one you like the most.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1219 posts
884 upvotes
sirisak wrote: some one mentioned this receiver as overkill for polk $99 speakers. Is it still worthy ?
https://www.amazon.ca/Pioneer-SP-BS22-L ... oneer+bs22
https://www.amazon.ca/Debut-Bookshelf-S ... c+debut+b6

Either of those 2 are considered very good value for the money.

I have heard neither of them though personally. I don't know anything about the Polk deal, and I have never done research on Polk speakers. Mostly because my impression is that Polk is like Bose - friends don't let friends buy Bose/Polk/Beats, etc. But maybe I'm not being fair. Usually I wouldn't think too fondly of Pioneer either, and I probably wouldn't have known anything about Elac, except for the fact that at this point everything Andrew Jones touches seems to turn to gold, he is legendary.
Nov 3, 2008
3 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
Bear in mind if you are interested in 4K (future-proofing), 720 is the way to go as it does upscaling to 'near' 4K.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2006
1227 posts
1414 upvotes
farisk wrote: Bear in mind if you are interested in 4K (future-proofing), 720 is the way to go as it does upscaling to 'near' 4K.
A 4K TV can do upscaling, isn't it? A receiver just supports passing the 4k signal, even an entry level receiver can do that.
Feb 27, 2003
506 posts
105 upvotes
I've have 2 Denon receivers (one is 2 years old, other is 4 years old). One seems to work great, other has been a huge pain. I've had many issues with sound not working on speakers and have been back and forth with service / warranty work many times. I think I had to send it in 3 times before they said they could replicate the problem, the most recent service job they kept it 2-3 months before getting it back, that time they did say that they found the issue and fixed it - got it back and had the exact same problem immediately.

I've heard others have experienced the same issue - I won't buy Denon again.
May 7, 2013
160 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
This for $399 or the Onkyo 353 (5.1 channel) for $270? I know it's like comparing apples to oranges but is the $130 difference for the additional features worth it?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2006
1227 posts
1414 upvotes
DrKalikot wrote: This for $399 or the Onkyo 353 (5.1 channel) for $270? I know it's like comparing apples to oranges but is the $130 difference for the additional features worth it?
Always comes down to if you need those features or not. If not planning to go for 7.2 and Network is not your type of things, those features are just dust collectors, and then a new version comes up next year...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1122 posts
720 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There are deals on receivers very often but one this doesn't seem boxing day worthy.
2 months ago I got a b-stock Marantz SR6010 form Gibby's (through newegg) for $600.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1219 posts
884 upvotes
After really trying to convince myself to settle on this or a B-stock Marantz NR1606, I'm not sure I can do it. Tons of negative reviews on this unit floating around amazon.

Yamaha's all seem to review really well, but opting for the Yamaha RX-V481 over this Denon seems like such a shame, prices are comparable, but the Denon seems so much better except for the bad reviews..
Oct 15, 2016
66 posts
8 upvotes
I'm interested in this deal. But I've already purchased the ONKYO TX-SR353 six days ago and I've already opened it. What's BestBuy return policy on opened item? Does anyone have any experience with returning opened item at BestBuy?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
2011 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
Electronics like laptops and PC's get 14 days, but I did not find home theatre equipment on their list so it may fall under the regular 30 day policy. I will be going in-store on the 26th to get this receiver and check to make sure I can return the other without issue. Another $60 back in my pocket will go towards my next RFD purchase lol
May 7, 2013
160 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Dmunkeh wrote: I'm interested in this deal. But I've already purchased the ONKYO TX-SR353 six days ago and I've already opened it. What's BestBuy return policy on opened item? Does anyone have any experience with returning opened item at BestBuy?
As long as you have the receipt, you'll have no problem. I'm also planning to return the same Onkyo 353 without the box. I've just asked a BB employee and he told me there shouldn't be any problem as long as the receiver is still in good condition.
Dec 21, 2014
280 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
kcn88 wrote: We bought it during BF and have been very happy with it. Wish I could get my $50 back though!
you can rebuy it and return the other one, that's what I do when I'm in your situation
Sep 9, 2014
627 posts
594 upvotes
Vancouver
Dmunkeh wrote: I'm interested in this deal. But I've already purchased the ONKYO TX-SR353 six days ago and I've already opened it. What's BestBuy return policy on opened item? Does anyone have any experience with returning opened item at BestBuy?
You'll have zero problem. I returned one receiver 2 years ago after using it for 3-4 days.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1398 posts
863 upvotes
MoreDealsPlease wrote: There are deals on receivers very often but one this doesn't seem boxing day worthy.
2 months ago I got a b-stock Marantz SR6010 form Gibby's (through newegg) for $600.
That was a great price for the Marantz SR6010.
I don't think you'll see it even B stock for this price very often.
Dec 2, 2007
511 posts
284 upvotes
I snagged two of these to replace existing receivers I have. A friend runs a small business doing mid-to-high end theater installs and he primarily sells Denon and Marantz (some Integra too). He said this is an exceptional deal. This model is BestBuy Canada exclusive and he can't get the 920 at this price even at his cost, so this is a terrific price if the features on the 720 suit you.

I am replacing a Yamaha and a Sony (the Sony is actually new) and his comment was that Denon will have a much more powerful amp in the bottom end than the Yamaha or the Sony.
I didn't like the sound of the Sony too much either. The Yamaha sounds okay, but he's right it isn't a powerhouse.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)