• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 10:09 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
Sydney, NS

[Best Buy] Ecobee @ Best Buy - $269.98 + 10% off = $242.98

Tried to see if this was posted previously, if it has been my apologizes.

The Ecobee is on sale at Best Buy for $30 off and there's a promo right now (http://www.bestbuy.ca/Marketing/Promoti ... x?Id=21643) for 10% off when checking out.

I've been looking at getting one of these for a while and this is the cheapest I can recall it going. They had plenty of deals with added sensors but I just wanted the one sensor and unit to be discounted itself.

Might be able to PM at Home Depot as well.
Last edited by bcameron3 on Aug 11th, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Jun 3, 2007
144 posts
66 upvotes
If you live in Alberta- get for free including installation- check out the website- Energy Efficient Alberta
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17436 posts
170 upvotes
YVR
bcameron3 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:23 pm
Tried to see if this was posted previously, if it has been my apologizes.

The Ecobee is on sale at Best Buy for $30 off and there's a promo right now (http://www.bestbuy.ca/Marketing/Promoti ... x?Id=21643) for 10% off when checking out.

I've been looking at getting one of these for a while and this is the cheapest I can recall it going. They had plenty of deals with added sensors but I just wanted the one sensor and unit to be discounted itself.

Might be able to PM at Home Depot as well.
The 10% link doesn't work for me. Is there a code in that page? I tried adding the item to my cart and check out, but sadly no 10% discount for me. :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7867 posts
1193 upvotes
Highly recommend Ecobee. Very happy with ours.
Nov 17, 2014
15 posts
6 upvotes
marvinandro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:43 pm
BB link is broken for me, too but when I search I only see ecobee3 not the new https://www.ecobee.com/ecobee4/ .... or it's not worth going with the latest?
From what i gather, version 4 is basically the same with Amazon Alexa built it. Also if you have a separate Alexa, it doesn't play well together.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12278 posts
3919 upvotes
Oakville
Not the best recent price, but probably close to the best we'll see before Black Friday.
Public Mobile
Nov 14, 2014
19 posts
kool1 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:52 am
Highly recommend Ecobee. Very happy with ours.
I was too but it didn't work with our central HVAC that controls both heat and AC automatically. So I thought it was just faulty so I got an exchange. Then the new one still doesn't work so I figured it could be bad wiring job after the new AC installation. So I just hook up AC wire during hot/warm seasons and unhook it for heat during cooler seasons. It was fine this way for 2 years and just recently AC doesn't even work at all. Ecobee let it come on for a few minutes and then turns off and stays off. So I switched back to an old digital thermostat and everything works again. Gonna need to call up Ecobee for warranty claim. Other than that, while it worked (to some extent), it was a great experience with sensors in different rooms. *sigh* I miss controlling it wirelessly.
Jan 28, 2014
389 posts
82 upvotes
HachiB901 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:01 pm
I was too but it didn't work with our central HVAC that controls both heat and AC automatically. So I thought it was just faulty so I got an exchange. Then the new one still doesn't work so I figured it could be bad wiring job after the new AC installation. So I just hook up AC wire during hot/warm seasons and unhook it for heat during cooler seasons. It was fine this way for 2 years and just recently AC doesn't even work at all. Ecobee let it come on for a few minutes and then turns off and stays off. So I switched back to an old digital thermostat and everything works again. Gonna need to call up Ecobee for warranty claim. Other than that, while it worked (to some extent), it was a great experience with sensors in different rooms. *sigh* I miss controlling it wirelessly.
Sounds like something is wrong with the wiring. You can trace the colours from your tstat to the inside of your furnace panel all the letters should line up.

If it's still acting up then it sounds like the unit is defective.

I connected mine and the AC didn't know what to do and I connected it for him because the PEK kit confuses them sometimes.
Nov 14, 2014
19 posts
STIGUY wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:07 pm
Sounds like something is wrong with the wiring. You can trace the colours from your tstat to the inside of your furnace panel all the letters should line up.

If it's still acting up then it sounds like the unit is defective.

I connected mine and the AC didn't know what to do and I connected it for him because the PEK kit confuses them sometimes.
I did my best to retrace the wires in the furnace but doesn't look like there is anything wrong. The back of the Ecobee is quite straight forward and I'm pretty confident in that. But the new AC problem is definitely an Ecobee unit issue.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2015
16 posts
4 upvotes
Sydney, NS
UrbanNomad1 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:24 am
Amazon Prime day was a better deal. $236 including tax. It was $90 off at that time.

Of course the one year I don't sign up for the prime days they end up having good stuff on sale.
Sep 16, 2013
70 posts
13 upvotes
SW ON
HachiB901 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:32 pm
I did my best to retrace the wires in the furnace but doesn't look like there is anything wrong. The back of the Ecobee is quite straight forward and I'm pretty confident in that. But the new AC problem is definitely an Ecobee unit issue.
The ecobee does no more than any other smart or dumb thermostat - it shorts wires together: Rh/c+W for heat, Rh/c+Y for AC, Rh/c+G for fan. When those couples of wires connect then the furnace/AC does its own job. The thermostat just "calls" for heat, cool, fan. The major difference from a dumb thermostat is logic of timing of those events based of various sensors. What you described sounds like wrong wiring or bad unit(s).