Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Best Buy/ Future Shop - Roku 1 $39.99 until Jan 29

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2015 6:48 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26211 posts
39769 upvotes
Toronto

Best Buy/ Future Shop - Roku 1 $39.99 until Jan 29

Deal Link:
Expiry:
January 22, 2015
Not a bad deal for a Roku 1. Keep in mind that this player is wi-fi only (no Ethernet jack). Also no USB port for local playback. On the plus side, to quote CNET, " The Roku 1 is now the cheapest box with legacy analog connections, so it will work an older TV that has a composite video input (i.e., the yellow video port.)"

Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/rok ... 7e6a65en02

Future Shop
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 84aaaeen02

you can compare the models here

https://www.roku.com/products/compare
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
47 replies
Dec 13, 2013
491 posts
432 upvotes
Nice find OP... Unfortunately, I will always compare any Roku Deal with the Walmart Deal ($9.99), which I could not get. :(
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
I bought one of these for my Mom yesterday, so she can watch Netflix on her tube TV using the analog outputs. The nice thing is that when I visit in the summer, I can get her a new TV and just connect the Roku 1 with HDMI. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Dealter wrote: Nice find OP... Unfortunately, I will always compare any Roku Deal with the Walmart Deal ($9.99), which I could not get. :(
That was a price error and nobody got it. They canceled the orders.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
JamesA1 wrote: That was a price error and nobody got it. They canceled the orders.
Lots of people got it by price matching first thing in the morning.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Hardly "lots of people". A handful of people posted that they were successful in price matching the error with careless sales reps at other stores who didn't verify it. That was for the Roku Streaming Stick, which is normally the same price as the Roku 1, but the Roku 1 at least has composite output for older TVs.
Nov 26, 2014
90 posts
27 upvotes
Brampton, ON
the walmart deal didnt pan out for me as well but they sent me a $10 gift card as a compensation. cant complain :)
other than provionsing for older tvs on the Roku1 does it have any other advantages over the chromcast? I picked up one on boxing day for 29$ and am super impressed by it...
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4772 posts
1561 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: That was a price error and nobody got it. They canceled the orders.
Got it in store
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines
Not a bad price. Scored one during black friday for $29.99 from Future Shop. Got it for my old man, since he got a brand new LED TV. This blew his effin mind. Great gift for anyone without a smart TV but has WiFi.
Dec 19, 2005
991 posts
60 upvotes
Brampton
JamesA1 wrote: Hardly "lots of people". A handful of people posted that they were successful in price matching the error with careless sales reps at other stores who didn't verify it. That was for the Roku Streaming Stick, which is normally the same price as the Roku 1, but the Roku 1 at least has composite output for older TVs.
+1! My order was cancelled too. And I had gone first thing next day to get it price matched and was denied as well.
I think very few people really lucked out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
I need this to get Netflix to our bedroom TV. Its a cheaper solution vs buying a new BR player since my LG BD570 does not offer Netflix. The model following does :(

Is there a chromecast deal currently cheaper or is this a better solution for the price it is since I have a $50 gc
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Cisco KId wrote: I need this to get Netflix to our bedroom TV. Its a cheaper solution vs buying a new BR player since my LG BD570 does not offer Netflix. The model following does :(

Is there a chromecast deal currently cheaper or is this a better solution for the price it is since I have a $50 gc
Both the Chromecast and the Roku 1 will play Netflix. The Roku 1 has a remote control and HDMI+composite output. The Chromecast needs another device as the remote control, and it's HDMI-only. You would have to look at additional requirements to see if there are other factors that would favour one over the other for your puposes.
Oct 26, 2008
439 posts
407 upvotes
Dealter wrote: Nice find OP... Unfortunately, I will always compare any Roku Deal with the Walmart Deal ($9.99), which I could not get. :(
I snagged that deal, stil gloating. Then paired it up with the $25 free from Cineplex, and when I used the free $25 to buy Frozen they then sent me a free movie pass. One of the best deals in recent memory.
LIVING IS EASY WITH EYES CLOSED
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
JamesA1 wrote: Both the Chromecast and the Roku 1 will play Netflix. The Roku 1 has a remote control and HDMI+composite output. The Chromecast needs another device as the remote control, and it's HDMI-only. You would have to look at additional requirements to see if there are other factors that would favour one over the other for your puposes.
I went Roku route . main purpose if for wife to have Netflix on this TV in bedroom as its not smart. Chromecast would be fine for me but a hassle for her. Roku is much simpler w HDMI and app as part of it. No fuss no muss and a remote.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
+1
Canceled mine as well
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2846 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
Will pick one up to add ESPN to another TV. thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
IF you're a Netflix user you don't get profiles with the Roku 1. Roku just rebranded the old XD and XS and named them the Roku 1 and 2. Honestly the only Roku devices worth considering are the Roku 3 and the streaming stick. This should be regular price considering how much it's missing compared to the Roku 3.
Mar 7, 2010
368 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
walker2238 wrote: IF you're a Netflix user you don't get profiles with the Roku 1. Roku just rebranded the old XD and XS and named them the Roku 1 and 2. Honestly the only Roku devices worth considering are the Roku 3 and the streaming stick. This should be regular price considering how much it's missing compared to the Roku 3.
Real good to know. Thanks
Just got a Wii U and was flabbergasted at the fact that it does not yet support Netflix profiles and yet our old Wii does.
Roku 3 has been an awesome device for us. Just getting tired of running it up and down the stairs to bring Plex along for the ride
Oct 9, 2010
38 posts
8 upvotes
Lethbridge
walker2238 wrote: IF you're a Netflix user you don't get profiles with the Roku 1. Roku just rebranded the old XD and XS and named them the Roku 1 and 2. Honestly the only Roku devices worth considering are the Roku 3 and the streaming stick. This should be regular price considering how much it's missing compared to the Roku 3.

No quite true about the XD and XS.
XS has a usb, lan/wifi, which is now only included with the roku3. The roku3 also removed a few features that the XS had like the rca plug for a second av output.

The relaunch simplified the product line for those new to the product,

These are the specs of the current roku1, roku2, roku3
https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Here are the specs of the older roku boxes, for comparison before the roku1, roku2, roku3 relaunch
http://support.roku.com/entries/2034591 ... yer-Models

Either way though $40 for a roku is a good deal.