Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Garmin Fenix 5s Sapphire - $150 off (still $900, so warm)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2018 12:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3566 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa

[Best Buy] Garmin Fenix 5s Sapphire - $150 off (still $900, so warm)

Okay, so this is an expensive watch but it's also the very latest and about as top-of-the-line as you can get in a smart sports watch. This model still retails at over $1000 pretty well everywhere so this is a pretty good deal if you have to have this model of the Fenix 5. Since most of us can haggle 10% at a decent local independent running/cycling shop for this sort of thing, this deal is just warm - I personally would prefer to give one of them my business but to each their own.

For those of you who are interested in this watch, here is probably the most indepth review you could ever ask for: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/gar ... eview.html. Here's how much he liked the Fenix 5/5s:

I think it’s fair to say that the Fenix 5 is the best watch Garmin has ever made. While it may not be revolutionary in terms of features, it’s more of a polished evolutionary update. After nearly three months of usage, there are very few items I can quibble about in terms of oddities or quirks. And the early feedback from all of you after you’ve had nearly two weeks of usage since Garmin has started shipping seems largely the same.

Certainly, there are little things I’d like to see changed – but those are actually mostly on the platform side. For example, the mobile app supporting route creation, or the ability to see better web/app trending on the new training load and recovery metrics. Similarly, if you come from something like an Apple Watch you’ll also miss the ability to get pictures from text messages on the watch. But that type of display/capability of course comes at a heavy price on battery life. Certainly not a tradeoff I’m willing to make yet.

And that’s a key thing to understand: Sure, the Apple Watch has a brilliant display that looks stunning. And it has many apps. But…it also lasts one hole whopping day of battery. Maybe two if you’re lucky. Watches like those from Garmin, Suunto and Polar are instead designed to last weeks and have battery for GPS activities over 50 hours. It’s just a different market. More importantly, they’ve got easy to use tactile buttons for numerous functions that the Apple Watch lacks (as do some Android Wear watches). Which isn’t to say there isn’t a place for an Apple Watch, there absolutely is. It’s just not on the wrist of a triathlete in an Ironman, nor on the wrist of someone on a multiday hike through the Alps.

In any event, I suspect that either the 5 or the 5S will become my daily watch going forward (I tend to like smaller watches over the larger 5X). The Fenix 5 has quick responsiveness, accuracy, and is easy to use. Simple as that
13 replies
Dec 16, 2012
17 posts
2 upvotes
SAULT STE MARIE
Probably worth mentioning, CES starts tomorrow and runs all next week. Garmin may be announcing a replacement for the Fenix 5 there and you might see prices drop lower after that
Jul 7, 2009
516 posts
199 upvotes
It is the Holy grail of the serious multi-sports tracking watches and you have to pay for it.

OTOH if you don't mind the bulkiness the fenix 3 HR is available for much cheaper and is similar in functionality
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3566 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
grevian wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 7:38 am
Probably worth mentioning, CES starts tomorrow and runs all next week. Garmin may be announcing a replacement for the Fenix 5 there and you might see prices drop lower after that
Good point. They could announce an upgrade to the 5 to improve performance or add features like Garmin Pay or support for music. I think any improvement in the screen resolution would be reserved for a Fenix 6. Regardless of whether an upgraded 5 or a new 6 gets announced, we should expect bigger discounts than this sometime next summer.
Oct 1, 2008
126 posts
61 upvotes
Still waiting for a smart watch that charges itself, and can handle 200m :rolleyes:
Dec 15, 2016
93 posts
109 upvotes
I'm waiting for two things: The Fenix watch to store and play music and have a touch screen with mapping capability.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3376 posts
973 upvotes
Montreal
forexnut wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 8:40 am
Still waiting for a smart watch that charges itself, and can handle 200m :rolleyes:
Garmin Descent is a modified fenix 5 for scuba diving (In addition to fenix 5 features). Sorry, it won't charge itself but battery life is excellent.
Jun 6, 2005
477 posts
11 upvotes
LewisLongshanks wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:54 am
I'm waiting for two things: The Fenix watch to store and play music and have a touch screen with mapping capability.
They announced the Forerunner 645 with music option yesterday. Available near end of January.
Nov 14, 2006
573 posts
68 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
number17 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 8:03 am
It is the Holy grail of the serious multi-sports tracking watches and you have to pay for it.

OTOH if you don't mind the bulkiness the fenix 3 HR is available for much cheaper and is similar in functionality
Saw the 3 HR at Costco yesterday for $500. Tempted.
Jul 7, 2009
516 posts
199 upvotes
OTOH, I question if the Fenix is for everyone ... it's great for triathletes, but I also think a lot of the new sports watches from Garmin (like Vivoactive 3, or the new running watches coming out with music capability) are also great for most multi-sports athletes.

Fenix's are SO expensive
Nov 14, 2006
573 posts
68 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
number17 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:31 am
OTOH, I question if the Fenix is for everyone ... it's great for triathletes, but I also think a lot of the new sports watches from Garmin (like Vivoactive 3, or the new running watches coming out with music capability) are also great for most multi-sports athletes.

Fenix's are SO expensive
I'm looking for a model that has a baro altimeter, plus I like Garmin products so that helps narrow things down. Might wait to see what CES brings though.
Oct 7, 2015
285 posts
234 upvotes
Vanier, ON
The new model Garmin Forerunner 645 Music released at CES is pricing at 450 USD.
How much difference between the product line fenix and forerunner ?
Dec 5, 2016
108 posts
60 upvotes
x8ssJoe wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:47 am
The new model Garmin Forerunner 645 Music released at CES is pricing at 450 USD.
How much difference between the product line fenix and forerunner ?
The Fenix is the top-of-the-line with all of the features at the time of release. Since the 645 is newer, it has new features such as Garmin Pay (I think currently useless in Canada) and Music. It loses out on Triathlon support, Cycling Power-meter support, open-water swim tracking that the Fenix has.
Jul 7, 2009
516 posts
199 upvotes
Yes and i believe Fenix 5 has the 'undestructable' sapphire screen option which the Forerunner lacks. I suppose Garmin pays and music will make it to Fenix 6 later in the year but then again its price will go even higher.