[Best Buy] Honeywell Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Thermostat - $99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:53 am
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1293 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Given how long it's taking for GreenON program to contact those who signed up for a free thermostat, this Honeywell might be the best way to go.
Jun 2, 2009
106 posts
16 upvotes
reyoasian wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:43 am
I got this from Lowe's
Found out during install that I didn't have a common wire
Returned it

Waiting for the ecobee3 to go on sale as it doesn't require a common wire
You can still use the Honeywell with only 4 wires but it requires you to use a jumper wire and make some adjustments at both the thermostat AND the furnace.
The ecobee3 DOES requires a common wire. However they do provide a PEK (Power Extender Kit) with the thermostat for those that only have 4 wires instead of the recommended 5. It still requires you to do some rewiring.
The NEST is the only one that doesn't require a common wire as it uses a battery to power the thermostat. There are potential drawbacks to this design as it only charges the battery during a heating/cooling cycle.

I'm also waiting for a sale on the ecobee3. I have a feeling local retailers are not going to drop it much more than it already is considering there is a $100 rebate from Enbridge.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2010
1279 posts
184 upvotes
Isaac Clarke wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:04 am
You can still use the Honeywell with only 4 wires but it requires you to use a jumper wire and make some adjustments at both the thermostat AND the furnace.
The ecobee3 DOES requires a common wire. However they do provide a PEK (Power Extender Kit) with the thermostat for those that only have 4 wires instead of the recommended 5. It still requires you to do some rewiring.
The NEST is the only one that doesn't require a common wire as it uses a battery to power the thermostat. There are potential drawbacks to this design as it only charges the battery during a heating/cooling cycle.

I'm also waiting for a sale on the ecobee3. I have a feeling local retailers are not going to drop it much more than it already is considering there is a $100 rebate from Enbridge.
Right, the T5 was too much work and the ecobee3 is much more straight forward so I will wait
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15755 posts
4660 upvotes
Ottawa
Isaac Clarke wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:04 am

Correction: The NEST will pulse your furnace (temporarily turn on your furnace, regardless if it's on a heat or a/c cycle) to recharge the batteries as required.
Apr 22, 2017
36 posts
33 upvotes
Thanks OP!
I'm planning on price matching this one to HomeDepot and use the $10 coupon they send you for signing up for their mailing list.
I may have to buy a filler if they won't let me stack both -- but I will report back either way!
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17644 posts
187 upvotes
YVR
How do I know if my current thermostat uses a common wire or not?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11455 posts
1101 upvotes
Kanata
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:53 pm
How do I know if my current thermostat uses a common wire or not?
Take it off the wall and look
or open the furnace panel and see if there is a wire going to the C on the board, and if that wire is part of a 4/5 wire bunch.
You could also look up your existing thermostat and see if there are instructions/manuals that would indicate if it needs one or not.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17644 posts
187 upvotes
YVR
I don't know anything about HVACs at all so I got some questions for you guys. So most rooms in the house have its own thermostat. I'm assuming if I want to control each room's thermostat, then I'll have to replace them with something like the Lyric T5? How does the Lyric T5 compare to Nest and Ecobee? They're substantially more expensive and I'm wondering what do I get for paying more? $99 is pretty cheap and I wouldn't mind getting a few and control them with my iPhone.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1856 posts
678 upvotes
bubuski wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:06 am
So pretty much free from some Ontario Enbridge customers. It is qualifies for the $100 rebate till the end of the year(December 31, 2017)

https://enbridgesmartsavings.com/smart- ... hermostats
What are the fine-prints ? Do you have to let enbridge control your thermostat?
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2692 posts
166 upvotes
bogolisk wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 8:26 am
What are the fine-prints ? Do you have to let enbridge control your thermostat?
No, they just need to verify that it was installed (they do this through your app registration
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2692 posts
166 upvotes
Can anyone confirm that I am eligible for a rebate if I paid via gift card
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11455 posts
1101 upvotes
Kanata
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:20 am
Can anyone confirm that I am eligible for a rebate if I paid via gift card
They never asked for receipt or where it was purchased when I applied for the rebate.
Nov 22, 2007
124 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone wants it I still have it in the box from last time...ping me up..was planning to return anyways