Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

*Hot* ASUS Wireless Router (RT-AC1900P) - $150

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 10:39 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2014
1781 posts
2401 upvotes
GPS - error
Render5 wrote: Care to elaborate?
It's been a while since I've played with this stuff on my RT-N66U but here it is:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... rms.50234/
https://github.com/laggardkernel/vlmcsd-magisk

You can also get binary files to start automatically from a USB stick on boot:
http://irq5.io/2012/12/10/hacking-funct ... t-routers/
Sep 5, 2009
94 posts
20 upvotes
Performance wise, would this router be a noticable upgrade from my current Asus RT-AC66U ?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2483 posts
284 upvotes
matrix75 wrote: OpenVPN i believe can only use a single cpu for now ...

Here’s the speeds in theory:

600 Mhz = 8-10 Mpbs
800 Mhz = 15-25 Mbps
1.0 Ghz = 20-35 Mbps
1.4 Ghz = 25-50 Mbps
1.6 Ghz = 30-55 Mbps
Kewl thanks..

Any idea if the antenna is removable from this unit? Though not even sure if an upgrade of antennas would be needed here.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
lonematrix wrote: Performance wise, would this router be a noticable upgrade from my current Asus RT-AC66U ?
Chances are if you have to ask, the answer is no.

Generally there's no real need to upgrade routers unless you notice something's wrong or doing some really intense tasks (ie. lots of file transfers/VPN, dropped connections, not getting maximum internet speeds over wifi, etc.). The AC66U is more than enough router for the average person.
Jan 21, 2014
296 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver
The free router I got with my Shaw Internet 150 lets me download files up to 15 megabytes per second and has deccent range... Do I need this? What does this do better than the freebie I got with Shaw.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4021 posts
2373 upvotes
Ottawa
cellnerd wrote: Thanks for the detailed review. I don't use any features on my router apart from the actual 2.4Ghz/5Ghz signals themselves... no QoS, VPN, adblocking or anything. I'd love a barebones router with the latest WiFi specs like MU-MIMO, but it's hard to find one. I always see TP-Link routers for less with seemingly great specs so I figured they'd be a better bargain for me.

I'm surprised you had such a bad time with the C3200. I didn't know its range was so bad. But if you need range, isn't it better to just use a mesh network system?

Good thing I keep my router in my room now. Since I keep my router in my room and don't need the extra features these routers come with, IDK what to pick. I'm looking for the cheapest router with the best specs since software and range don't matter to me. I spend most of my time upstairs, near my router anyway.
This whole MU-MIMO thing has got me wondering because many of the TP-Link and Asus ones going on sale do not have MU-MIMO. But then I read a review/test here at smallnetbuilder that effectively said that Qualcomm and Broadcom haven't even ironed out the kinks in the MU-MIMO hardware and client devices often don't even connect properly to make sure of the feature.

so I'm very confused on it at the moment. Doesn't help that I want to jump on these router deals asap and that I plan on using the routers for a good couple of years.
Sep 7, 2016
94 posts
37 upvotes
so I picked one up. Been using the standard Rogers router that came with my Gigabit internet. Spotty Wi-Fi through the house since day 1 but speeds are decent. Hopefully this will remedy this issue and can stream in the upstairs bedroom now!
Nov 30, 2002
559 posts
66 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
matrix75 wrote: OpenVPN i believe can only use a single cpu for now ...

Here’s the speeds in theory:

600 Mhz = 8-10 Mpbs
800 Mhz = 15-25 Mbps
1.0 Ghz = 20-35 Mbps
1.4 Ghz = 25-50 Mbps
1.6 Ghz = 30-55 Mbps
I get 40+ mbit/s on the 800MHz CPU (EA6400 or RT-AC68U).
Jun 8, 2008
724 posts
182 upvotes
I flashed a similar router, when Tmobile had the sale / clearout. It's been rock solid with Merlin, the patch for Krackel (sp?) WPA2 flaw was quick and painless. I can do VPN, ad blocking, Samba shares, QOS etc, and I know how to but, I do it mostly client side. I let the router run at max performance and I look for reliability. This thing is a few years old now and more than sufficient for most people. But, I highly recommend switching to Merlin and follow the process slowly. If you have more than 6 people and pumping HD / 4K streams than look for a more robust option. Heck, even if you have 2 people pumping two 4k streams umm look for a better router. If you have the highest Rogers Ignite or Bell Fiber 150, then doing bridge mode to a separate router is a good idea, if you are lower tier than the combo from the service provider is sufficient... Let the modem be a modem and router be a router, traditionally a lot of people did this as the modem/router combo was flakey. But, things have improved mostly.
Sep 7, 2016
94 posts
37 upvotes
neostylez3 wrote: I flashed a similar router, when Tmobile had the sale / clearout. It's been rock solid with Merlin, the patch for Krackel (sp?) WPA2 flaw was quick and painless. I can do VPN, ad blocking, Samba shares, QOS etc, and I know how to but, I do it mostly client side. I let the router run at max performance and I look for reliability. This thing is a few years old now and more than sufficient for most people. But, I highly recommend switching to Merlin and follow the process slowly. If you have more than 6 people and pumping HD / 4K streams than look for a more robust option. Heck, even if you have 2 people pumping two 4k streams umm look for a better router. If you have the highest Rogers Ignite or Bell Fiber 150, then doing bridge mode to a separate router is a good idea, if you are lower tier than the combo from the service provider is sufficient... Let the modem be a modem and router be a router, traditionally a lot of people did this as the modem/router combo was flakey. But, things have improved mostly.
I don't have an issue with downloading or streaming at 4k since I have no 4k devices, however I have a number of wireless devices and planning on adding a lot more (google home minis, chromecast etc) and my main gripe with the hitron router that comes with the Rogers gigabit internet is that I have dead spots and have heard that repeaters aren't really a fix. I also have the router on the main floor office which is exactly on one corner of the house and the opposite corners on the same level and upper level bedrooms have almost no connection. Not a huge house either so I'm hoping this fixes it rather than looking into a mesh network which someone just mentioned to me not long ago
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Is this router compatible with all VPN protocols and services or just OpenVPN?