Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Insignia Wi-Fi in Wall Light Switch for $29.99 and wall plug for $24.99(Supports Homekit, Google & Alexa)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 7:24 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1854 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph
cheystar wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:54 pm
Just saw the wall plug w/ power meter is on sale too and supports homekit as well. Added info in original post
Anyone use the plugs? Only two reviews on their site and not good....
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2165 posts
926 upvotes
Muskoka
byron4fun wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:55 am
Would this switch require a neutral wire for installation?
All of these types of switches will require a neutral switch. There is actually something going on even when 'turned off'. WiFi is happening and probably other electronics.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1486 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
Mostly all these smarts switches require a neutral wire. The only one that I know that doesn't is the Lutron caseta switches.
spotts01 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:18 pm
All of these types of switches will require a neutral switch. There is actually something going on even when 'turned off'. WiFi is happening and probably other electronics.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1486 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
On bestbuy usa you have more reviews and are a bit better. Btw their christmas return policy is up to Jan 7, so you have close to a month to test it out.
dtm252535 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:14 pm
Anyone use the plugs? Only two reviews on their site and not good....
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
1845 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't believe that the Insignia stuff work with IFTTT or Samsung's SmartThings Hub so no hope for possible integration with a sequenced event. I purchased the energy monitoring wallplug last week which works fine on it's own but will be returning because it is doubtful that it will be flexible enough for my anticipated whole house system.
A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2829 posts
511 upvotes
Mississauga
cheystar wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:56 pm
Nope the insignia don't. I got these zooz dimmable switches, which does work with regular 3 way switches. They are much more expensive and needs a hub like wink or smartthings
Just curious, how does your zooz dimming function actually work. The picture shows one of those old style on off flickers.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
1764 posts
214 upvotes
Burnaby
should be a nice deal. but the discount is not very attractive.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Please Note: External links in a signature are not allowed.
Oct 2, 2013
779 posts
179 upvotes
Tig wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:52 pm

Just curious, how does your zooz dimming function actually work. The picture shows one of those old style on off flickers.
It's done via mobile device or hub control I guess. I am more interested in the zooz one here https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B074CJ1ZR ... 1SDyrZ9NYL as I can integrate it with my ST, so more complicated tasks can be achieved

I have 3 wemo already they work fine for turning lights on and off. I favour the dimmable function when I got some IKEA smart bulbs , it's nicer during night time when you need to get up for water or bathroom, there won't be 1000 lumens light dazzle your eyes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1486 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
They have 2 version the toggle one the one in the link and the decora one which is the rectangular button. For both you press and hold for the dimming function to kick in. So for example if I want to increase the brightness I push and hold the toggle switch up to increase the brightness or in the case of the decora style switch press and hold the top of the button. Decrease is the opposite direction. This function can be controlled in the wink or smartthings app as well (forgot you need a smart hub thats connects to z-wave). Also when turned on the zooz switch remember the last brightness setting. To turn on or off you press (not hold the switch) in the on or off direction like a normal switch.
Tig wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:52 pm
Last edited by cheystar on Dec 6th, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1486 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
See above comment. The zooz will integrate with smartthings also a bonus all their switches are 3-way compatible without the need for a companion or addon switch. You can reuse your regular traveller switch, but needs to be rewired. Do note if you get the dimmer switch your traveller switch can't control the dimming function only on or off.
CarsonKT wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:07 pm
It's done via mobile device or hub control I guess. I am more interested in the zooz one here https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B074CJ1ZR ... 1SDyrZ9NYL as I can integrate it with my ST, so more complicated tasks can be achieved

I have 3 wemo already they work fine for turning lights on and off. I favour the dimmable function when I got some IKEA smart bulbs , it's nicer during night time when you need to get up for water or bathroom, there won't be 1000 lumens light dazzle your eyes
Oct 2, 2013
779 posts
179 upvotes
cheystar wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:19 pm
See above comment. The zooz will integrate with smartthings also a bonus all their switches are 3-way compatible without the need for a companion or addon switch. You can reuse your regular traveller switch, but needs to be rewired. Do note if you get the dimmer switch your traveller switch can't control the dimming function only on or off.
Thanks for the clarification, I am so getting the zooz one for my 3 way setup
May 29, 2017
118 posts
35 upvotes
what does native homekit support mean? and how is it different than the tp link one?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1486 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
HomeKit is apples protocol for home automation. If a device is HomeKit compatible that means the manufacture has implemented Apple’s home automation protocol into their device natively and therefore should be able to be added to apples home app. This enables the device to be controlled directly by an iOS device and also allow Siri to control it as well. Tp-link doesn’t have HomeKit support as the manufacturer hasn’t implemented this. Therefore can’t be officially added to the home app. There is an unofficial way for tp-link to get HomeKit support by using homebridge. This is not native as a computer is needed to run homebridge, which as the name implies acts as a bridge between the tp-link and the iOS device. Therefore you need homebridge to be running all the time for the iOS device to be able to communicate with the tp-link device. Hope this helps.
codex119 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:35 pm
what does native homekit support mean? and how is it different than the tp link one?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
1845 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
CarsonKT wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:07 pm

The one you prefer does not not do dimming though, simply on/off function. The Zooz switch mentioned by cheystar is a dimmable model.

For anyone considering Zooz light switches, they are much cheaper on amazon.com if you have access to border shopping drops or forwarders. It should also be noted the ones shown on amazon.ca don't appear to be version 2.0
A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.