Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Insignia Wi-Fi in Wall Light Switch for $29.99 and wall plug for $24.99(Supports Homekit, Google & Alexa)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 7:24 pm
May 18, 2010
436 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Can this switch be installed in a 3 panel switch?
Nov 20, 2005
139 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Bought one over Black Friday weekend and it didn't work with Google Home. Worked with tech support who came to the conclusion that it was a defective unit. Exchanged it for another one and the same thing happened. The Google Home app would say the device was added successfully but when I went to add it to a room, the switch was not there for me to add. Tech support then says that it may be a known issue between the switch and Google Home. So I returned it and got the TP-Link switch and plug and both worked flawlessly with Google Home. I'd stay away from Insignia but that's just me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1476 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Acutally its even cheaper to get the zooz directly from their us distributor than from amazon.com. Thats if you have access to an amerifriend. The ones that are sold on amazon.ca are version 2.0 I just my toggle switches they are all version 2.0
pauldryan wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:28 am
The one you prefer does not not do dimming though, simply on/off function. The Zooz switch mentioned by cheystar is a dimmable model.

For anyone considering Zooz light switches, they are much cheaper on amazon.com if you have access to border shopping drops or forwarders. It should also be noted the ones shown on amazon.ca don't appear to be version 2.0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1476 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Do you mean a 3 way switch or you mean a 3 switches in a 3 gang box? If its 3 way switch then no. If its the later based on how deep your gang box is.
Chancy21 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:46 am
Can this switch be installed in a 3 panel switch?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1476 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
I didn't run into that, so can't confirm. My opinion is if you don't need homekit definitely get the tp-link because the app is more polished and the hardware feels well built. Insignia quality is abit cheap and their app is not as polished but on the homekit side of things they work well and are the cheapest for homekit. Google for me is fine as well. Alexa can't confirm since I don't have an echo device.
m_disonglo wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:56 am
Bought one over Black Friday weekend and it didn't work with Google Home. Worked with tech support who came to the conclusion that it was a defective unit. Exchanged it for another one and the same thing happened. The Google Home app would say the device was added successfully but when I went to add it to a room, the switch was not there for me to add. Tech support then says that it may be a known issue between the switch and Google Home. So I returned it and got the TP-Link switch and plug and both worked flawlessly with Google Home. I'd stay away from Insignia but that's just me.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1145 posts
57 upvotes
I bought 12 of these and installed one to test it. Working perfectly with HomeKit. Needs a neutral wire. Not a 3 way switch. It does fit in 2/3 gang box; though it’s a little snug fit.
Oct 2, 2013
757 posts
176 upvotes
pauldryan wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:28 am
The one you prefer does not not do dimming though, simply on/off function. The Zooz switch mentioned by cheystar is a dimmable model.

For anyone considering Zooz light switches, they are much cheaper on amazon.com if you have access to border shopping drops or forwarders. It should also be noted the ones shown on amazon.ca don't appear to be version 2.0
I am fully aware that the original Wemo is not dimmable, the dimmable new Womo costs about CAD 70.

Amazon.ca has the toggle v 2.0 for CAD 44.95 and .com has that for USD 29.95,
the paddle switch version is CAD 43.95 vs USD 32.95
don't feel any of them have enough price difference to justify a cross border travel.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
1841 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
CarsonKT wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:41 am
I am fully aware that the original Wemo is not dimmable, the dimmable new Womo costs about CAD 70.
I was referencing your comment about preferring the Zooz model 21 which is not dimmable. I happen to live close to the border and a $6.00 (cdn) saving per unit is a good enough deal when ordering half a dozen.
A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.
Oct 2, 2013
757 posts
176 upvotes
pauldryan wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:53 am
I was referencing your comment about preferring the Zooz model 21 which is not dimmable. I happen to live close to the border and a $6.00 (cdn) saving per unit is a good enough deal when ordering half a dozen.
OMG, thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize they have a switch only model, :(
you must live really close to the border, $ 6 of gasoline really don't travel that far.....
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
1841 posts
454 upvotes
Ottawa
CarsonKT wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 5:42 pm
OMG, thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize they have a switch only model, :(
you must live really close to the border, $ 6 of gasoline really don't travel that far.....
When I started to order on amazon.com, I ran into the same confusion and inadvertently loaded up with the non dimming switches. I'm only 45 mins from my home to my US mail drop and since I always fill up on the cheap gas while I'm over there, that savings covers my return trip costs.
A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
1967 posts
327 upvotes
m_disonglo wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:56 am
That’s a bit of a bummer to hear. Maybe hopefully mine will work when I get them.

I’m hoping to replace my WeMo that controls my front lights because although it works great with Google home, it doesn’t work with my Siri, so it’s not practical. What I want to be able to do when I come home late is just say “hey Siri, turn on the front lights” as I’m almost home.

I had an IFTTT set up to turn on my switch with a geofence before as well, and it worked okay, but I prefer not to keep my Bluetooth on my phone on so my battery lasts longer. Hopefully I can get the insignia switches to work with both google and Apple.