Careers

Best Buy Interview | What to expect?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2009 12:32 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Apr 9, 2006
367 posts
1 upvote

Best Buy Interview | What to expect?

Hello, I have an interview for Computer Technician position with Best Buy. What should I expect in the interview? What kind of work would I be doing in this position? (The geek squad was different than this position).
Thank you for your time :)
Piratheep
18 replies
Banned
User avatar
Mar 11, 2005
1767 posts
Toronto, Ontario
There is another thread in reards to this, might want to try the search button, although it was in regards i believe to a general CSR position, the general work enviroment should give you an idea
CARTOONIST NEEDED!
Must be able to draw characters from Mr. Men and Little Miss. story line on Adobe Photoshop!
$50 honorarium provided for finished unflattened .psd file
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 8, 2002
4988 posts
418 upvotes
For me, I had an interview with a supervisor and I got an interview with the store manager after I "passed" that interview.

They pretty much asked me standard questions like "when was a time you showed initiative?", "when was a time you showed leadership?", etc. I think these can be considered textbook interview questions. There were no surprise questions.

This was for a sales associate job. I got the job. Geek Squad at my store basically just helped people with computer problems, provided their packaged services (IE. installing anti-virus software or installing peripherals, etc), computer setup... and when things weren't busy in their area they would help the computer sales staff with sales.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 24, 2004
4476 posts
40 upvotes
well the test isn't usually done by a technically savvy person, so expect a nice generic A+ based questionnaire.

"what does the PS/2 port do"
"What is IRQ7"
etc

and then obvious answer CS questions like
"You are a manager and you see a worker stealing $10, what do you do?"

A) yell at him in front of everyone
B) Fire him
C) Give him a warning and write him up

(its C people..)
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
I placed 3rd in 2011 National I.T. Hero Competition http://bit.ly/ebKrHC
Have IT Questions/Problems? PM me, I'll be happy to help!
You can visit my LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jeremyhowell

Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15131 posts
1579 upvotes
CodecX81 wrote:"You are a manager and you see a worker stealing $10, what do you do?"

A) yell at him in front of everyone
B) Fire him
C) Give him a warning and write him up

(its C people..)
Wow, Best Buy actually keep theives around?
Banned
Jan 25, 2006
163 posts
2 upvotes
When I went for my Best Buy interview I stuffed a sock in my underwear because they look for people with big balls. Seriously, it's part of their secret checklist of things they look for. They equate big balls to being more agressive.
Sr. Member
Aug 11, 2005
564 posts
1 upvote
CodecX81 wrote:well the test isn't usually done by a technically savvy person, so expect a nice generic A+ based questionnaire.

"what does the PS/2 port do"
"What is IRQ7"
etc

and then obvious answer CS questions like
"You are a manager and you see a worker stealing $10, what do you do?"

A) yell at him in front of everyone
B) Fire him
C) Give him a warning and write him up

(its C people..)
Are you sure. The best buy I worked at, had a very stringent policy on stealing and they would immediately terminate you.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 7, 2006
6045 posts
1 upvote
g5cubed wrote:Are you sure. The best buy I worked at, had a very stringent policy on stealing and they would immediately terminate you.

agreed, bestbuy and stealing = termination immediately

actually any store + stealing = termination immediately if the manager has any sense.
Member
User avatar
Apr 10, 2006
281 posts
Job Interview Question

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect man (or) woman you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car.

Think before you continue reading. This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble
coming up with his answer.








He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams."

Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2004
2127 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
LuckyChef wrote:Job Interview Question

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect man (or) woman you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car.

Think before you continue reading. This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble
coming up with his answer.








He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams."

Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."
LOL.
Sr. Member
Aug 11, 2005
564 posts
1 upvote
LuckyChef wrote:Job Interview Question

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect man (or) woman you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car.

Think before you continue reading. This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble
coming up with his answer.








He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams."

Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."
Lol. That was good.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2003
4491 posts
179 upvotes
Burnaby
LuckyChef wrote:He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams."

Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."
Ya I've heard this one before, it's actually pretty old.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...


References: eBay Feedback
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 5, 2001
10514 posts
1111 upvotes
Yup, the answers the guys above gave are pretty accurate. However, there is absolutely NO tolerance for theft, so make sure you say you would turn in your coworker/supervisor/manager/mom/dad/dog if they ever stole.

I hope this is part time because full time is only good for stepping stone, don't expect a career at best buy. I did 3 years for the beast as a technician, tech department senior, tech department supervisor, double agent. Your responsibilities will increase as you go up the ladder, but so will the crap, and your paycheck will only go up by 10 or 20 cents a year, if at all.

Plus, with the layoffs and the short staffing they started doing this spring to increase profitability, expect to get thrown in computers to read price tags and sell like a robot during back to school and xmas season. Forget about training and preparation, you will be thrown right into the mix with little or no guidance, it will be sink or swim for you.

And don't forget the social atmosphere is a lot like high school over again. Bitchy girls, affairs and gossip, social groups and favortism, and all that fun stuff...

Also, don't let the 'employee discount' fool you either. After 3 years of being brainwashed by the low prices, I realize almost everything can be bought locally or thru [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] for less money...

Have a look around at www.bestbuysux.org and think hard about working there!

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I ended up being the classic case of someone who stayed under their thumb too long before wising up and getting out of there...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 8, 2002
4988 posts
418 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote:I realize almost everything can be bought locally or thru [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] for less money...
So true. I never bought anything while I was working at Best Buy. You could always find sales at other stores with the same products that were cheaper than BB employee prices, even regular priced items a lot too. The only thing that's good is if you normally buy service plans, then it's quite a bit cheaper. I dont remember the exact discount though, but I think it's 50% off.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 22, 2005
4647 posts
6 upvotes
argh i had a interview i almost had the position. Until i stated i was going back to school full time. Dont mention school lol. And one more thing they usually hire a lot of unintelligent people in the wrong departments, unless you get lucky..
× < >

Top