Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Lexar 480GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $70 + Free Shipping

[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3676 posts
4781 upvotes
Montreal

[Best Buy] Lexar 480GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $70 + Free Shipping

It has DRAM.

Review Review

For a comparable, the Crucial MX500 500 GB costs $90 at amazon.ca

Three-year limited warranty.

Use Macrium Reflect software (Free) for cloning.
54 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3676 posts
4781 upvotes
Montreal
Still available.

It might be useful to those who are still on Windows 7 with no more security updates and plan to upgrade for Free to Windows 10 but are not sure if their computer is fast enough to make it worth it.

Going from a regular spinning Hard Disk Drive to a SSD is the best bang for the buck you can do to rejuvenate an old computer.

Of course, you don't have to buy a 500 GB SSD to do that.
This 250 GB Samsung 860 evo at $60 at staples.ca is one of the best SSD on the market and will do fine.

Or amazon.ca
Jul 16, 2002
255 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Johnsk1 wrote: speed wise, is there a difference between the Lexar and this one? https://www.amazon.ca/Silicon-Power-512 ... B07LG1PJMH
You won't notice any difference in normal day to day computer use from one SSD to another since it's mostly random small chunks of data. If you start doing things like large file video editing and/or other ways of pushing things to the edge then things like sequential read/write will begin to matter more, or in multi user environments accessing the same computer/server, queue depth begins to matter more, for example.
Autobots, Transform and Roll Out!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2242 posts
1139 upvotes
Winnipeg
Best Buy(no pun intended) for the buck at the moment.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2974 posts
917 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Temporel wrote: Still available.

It might be useful to those who are still on Windows 7 with no more security updates and plan to upgrade for Free to Windows 10 but are not sure if their computer is fast enough to make it worth it.

Going from a regular spinning Hard Disk Drive to a SSD is the best bang for the buck you can do to rejuvenate an old computer.

This 250 GB Samsung 860 evo at $60 at staples.ca is one of the best SSD on the market and will do fine.

Or amazon.ca
Just ordered from Amazon Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD - CT240BX500SSD1 for $44.96 to resurrect a 8 y-o Win 7 machine. Crucial have good instructions for doing the swap and the cloning software. You do need a USB to SATA adapter though.
Sep 30, 2012
4 posts
5 upvotes
canada
Is the price of SSDs on the decline right now?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2335 posts
785 upvotes
Ottawa

Or amazon.ca
I put an SSD in my Core 2 Solo and it makes a huge difference. it boots into win7 before the windows logo even finishes forming!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1125 posts
435 upvotes
Montreal, QC
No time machine, but SSD prices have gone up quite a bit since months ago.

I got this Silicon Power 512GB for $55.
Dec 9, 2017
90 posts
107 upvotes

Or amazon.ca
Thanks ! Can’t beat the evo for performances and reliability. Only one per order :( So I ordered the 500gb instead for an older Mac.
Jul 24, 2019
31 posts
24 upvotes
I realize M2 is faster than SATA for SSD's .
my question was SATA specifically between those 2 items.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3676 posts
4781 upvotes
Montreal
Johnsk1 wrote: I realize M2 is faster than SATA for SSD's .
my question was SATA specifically between those 2 items.
The Lexar should be faster than the Silicon Power simply because the Lexar has DRAM and the Silicon Power doesn't.
The Silicon Power is $79 anyway, why would you buy that?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3092 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP

480GB?

Why can't these vendors just round up to 500GB so it's all consistent?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12175 posts
1684 upvotes
Kanata
chadw01 wrote: Thanks OP

480GB?

Why can't these vendors just round up to 500GB so it's all consistent?
Some do this to keep extra blocks, for wear levelling and maintaining performance.