Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

LG 27" 4K UHD Monitor (27UL550-W) - $349.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 10:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6076 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] LG 27" 4K UHD Monitor (27UL550-W) - $349.99

This is a pretty good monitor that Best Buy seems to drop to $400 frequently and $350 less frequently every so often.
I've been waiting for a decent 4K monitor to go on sale so I bit. I considered spending a bit more for USB-C connectivity and more accurate colour... but this is probably more than good enough for my mainly-coding and web browsing needs.

Any feedback from owners of this monitor is appreciated :)
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
coolwasabi wrote: Image

This is a pretty good monitor that Best Buy seems to drop to $400 frequently and $350 less frequently every so often.
I've been waiting for a decent 4K monitor to go on sale so I bit. I considered spending a bit more for USB-C connectivity and more accurate colour... but this is probably more than good enough for my mainly-coding and web browsing needs.

Any feedback from owners of this monitor is appreciated :)
Look at this:
If their claims H E R E for this to be a true True 10-bit monitor, than this "Shell shocker" is awesome deal actually....

EDIT: ... but, it's "only" 2K, and no USB-C tho...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Jul 26, 2016
184 posts
344 upvotes
Canada
max011 wrote: Look at this:
If their claims H E R E for this to be a true True 10-bit monitor, than this "Shell shocker" is awesome deal actually....

EDIT: ... but, it's "only" 2K, and no USB-C tho...
I bought this from Amazon and it's on the way.
https://www.amazon.ca/ViewSonic-VX3211- ... way&sr=8-1

thinking if I should return it and go for the BenQ.

USE: Photo / Video Editing. I have a secondary monitor for gaming.
❐ ‿ ❑
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
This is the one with the terrible stand right?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
left2van wrote: I bought this from Amazon and it's on the way.

One more BIG thing: THIS BenQ monitor is also covered by NewEggs 3 year warranty [while the most of new monitors get only 1y from manufacurers...

... but I'm diverting from OPs product, sorry....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
G77 wrote: This is the one with the terrible stand right?
Yup.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
G77 wrote: This is the one with the terrible stand right?
You talking LG 550?? No, that's LG UL5OO-W with poor stand... I have it, excellent monitor for a money, but I also got one of the Desk stands for less than $20 from Prime cables [was like this], so no issues...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
Fantastic specs for the price. LG has a similar model in black that often goes on sale for the same price with a much sturdier stand.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1020 posts
267 upvotes
looking for a decent size (27 inches) for web browsing and daily office work monitor(not photo /video intensive editing at all just plain word and outlook useage)

what would you recommend to buy?

i have only one m-hdmi port on an older mother board.

Thank you in advance guys
Jun 9, 2013
480 posts
372 upvotes
Surrey
ovovov wrote: looking for a decent size (27 inches) for web browsing and daily office work monitor(not photo /video intensive editing at all just plain word and outlook useage)

4k makes reading sharper and easier to read. but u would have to change the font size in windows to 1.25 or 1.5x
Feb 24, 2012
284 posts
83 upvotes
TORONTO
ovovov wrote: looking for a decent size (27 inches) for web browsing and daily office work monitor(not photo /video intensive editing at all just plain word and outlook useage)

A few months ago BestBuy had a sale on LG 27UD59BP monitors. I got two for office and one for home, only for coding, reading, and occasionally watching videos. So far I have been very happy with them. The only problem I have found so far is that it is a bit slow to turn on, which is not a big deal to me. Also some Apple computers have problems connecting to it when waking up, but it seems it is an Apple issue with external monitors. All in all, for work and reading, as someone with sensitive eyes who stares at the screen for many hours each day, I highly recommend this series of monitors. I think you can easily find LG 27UD58 for 300-350 bucks online, and honestly, I still do’t get its difference with LG 27UD59 models.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
left2van wrote: I bought this from Amazon and it's on the way.

max011 wrote: One more BIG thing: THIS BenQ monitor is also covered by NewEggs 3 year warranty [while the most of new monitors get only 1y from manufacurers...

... but I'm diverting from OPs product, sorry....
sanam79er wrote: A few months ago BestBuy had a sale on LG 27UD59BP monitors. I got two for office and one for home, only for coding, reading, and occasionally watching videos. So far I have been very happy with them. The only problem I have found so far is that it is a bit slow to turn on, which is not a big deal to me. Also some Apple computers have problems connecting to it when waking up, but it seems it is an Apple issue with external monitors. All in all, for work and reading, as someone with sensitive eyes who stares at the screen for many hours each day, I highly recommend this series of monitors. I think you can easily find LG 27UD58 for 300-350 bucks online, and honestly, I still do’t get its difference with LG 27UD59 models.
I Just bought this TV during Prime day to use as a secondary monitor

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DXT8XDQ/ref ... 00_TE_dp_1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
john.canad wrote: I Just bought this TV during Prime day to use as a secondary monitor

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DXT8XDQ/ref ... 00_TE_dp_1

43"... If it's not for gaming [and shouldn't be!] it would make it very very awkward and hard to do any work on it... I mean, I can attach my bedroom TV to my comp for free, but have no idea what would I use it for... Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
sanam79er wrote: <snip>I highly recommend this series of monitors. I think you can easily find LG 27UD58 for 300-350 bucks online, and honestly, I still do’t get its difference with LG 27UD59 models.

THIS THREAD expired, but might give you some ideas what are the differences between these LG models, and what prices one could expect...
Nov 13, 2018
116 posts
82 upvotes
sanam79er wrote: A few months ago BestBuy had a sale on LG 27UD59BP monitors. I got two for office and one for home, only for coding, reading, and occasionally watching videos. So far I have been very happy with them. The only problem I have found so far is that it is a bit slow to turn on, which is not a big deal to me. Also some Apple computers have problems connecting to it when waking up, but it seems it is an Apple issue with external monitors. All in all, for work and reading, as someone with sensitive eyes who stares at the screen for many hours each day, I highly recommend this series of monitors. I think you can easily find LG 27UD58 for 300-350 bucks online, and honestly, I still do’t get its difference with LG 27UD59 models.
58 doesn't get a nice rotating stand and speakers. I have one 58 and two 59s, but going to sell them soon. Both me and my wife found Apple Cinema Display 27 (2011) much more pleasing for eyes (I've got one as a replacement for 59, then she asked to replace hers too). No eye strain, nice speakers, so-so webcam, but the image is just right. The resolution is a bit worse, but I find 1400p to be in the perfect spot.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6076 upvotes
Vancouver
I just plugged in my new 27UL550-W and am really happy with it. The picture quality is very good: bright, sharp, nice colours. The design and build quality is good: slim-ish bezels, clean design. The stand is solid, but the base takes up a bit of room. Few connectivity options (no USB-C, no USB hub), but that's okay. I already have a USB-C dongle for my Macbook that combines power+HDMI.

Would recommend for anyone looking for a good 4K monitor.
Nov 13, 2018
116 posts
82 upvotes
wirelessg wrote: Does anyone know if there is any benefits for coding/design work if I use an LG 34" curved monitor? I'm currently eyeing on LG 34WL85C-B 34"
https://www.newegg.ca/p/0JC-000D-006N6? ... -_-Product
I have a curved ultrawide Alienware 34' 120HZ 1440p for gaming, but I also tried coding on it. The form-factor itself is really nice and it's really convenient to open two windows side by side. It's definitely better than two 16:9 monitors (I used 4K 27''), because these feel a bit too narrow. I'm not sure that it's better than two 16:10 24'' monitors (I have this setup at work, but they don't make these in 1440p/4K). My grief with Alienware is that it's good only for gaming, image quality is not as good as I imagined a modern $1K+ IPS monitor would give me. It has poor blacks, average contrast, backlight issues. It's not bad, really, but I would not enjoy watching a movie on it, or using it for any design application.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
wirelessg wrote: Does anyone know if there is any benefits for coding/design work if I use an LG 34" curved monitor? I'm currently eyeing on LG 34WL85C-B 34"
https://www.newegg.ca/p/0JC-000D-006N6? ... -_-Product
Note that this monitor is also covered with NewEgg's 3 year warranty promo... That's great!

Curved shape will help you to see the whole screen at once without need to sit 15 feet away...

But also it's a "Ultra-wide" monitor [21:9] [I personally don't like it]

It says it's "Colour Calibrated" - don't know if that means you cannot use Spider or such on this model to do your own calibration...

etc...

Otherwise, looks good on paper, and probably is - like other LG monitors I've seen - very good overall...