[Best Buy] Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen for $261.88 (regularly $329) + $100 rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 2:32 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
3 posts
6 upvotes

[Best Buy] Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen for $261.88 (regularly $329) + $100 rebate

Best Buy currently has the Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen on sale for $290.98 (regular price is $329) until July 16th, 2017.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nes ... 89044.aspx?

However, if you go to Home Depot and get them to price-match, you'll get an additional 10% off, bringing the sub-total down to $261.88 (this is what I did).

***IMPORTANT***
Additionally, if you're in an Enbridge Gas Program Delivery Area (and have an Enbridge account), you may qualify for a $100 credit on your bill just for buying a "smart" thermostat. Check out https://smartthermostats.ca/ for more details on this program.

If you do all the above, you get one of the best smart thermostats on the market for a net cost of $195.92 --- that's calculated as $261.88 + $34.04 Ontario HST - $100 rebate, if you're curious.

Enjoy!

-GeekyCanuck
27 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14114 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting. It just has to be a Smart thermostat but you don't have to give up control to Enbridge to control it? That was the requirement by Toronto Hydro so they could shut off your air conditioning during peak periods for short periods as necessary. Uh, no thanks.

But if it's just a straight rebate, then perhaps it's worth it. I always though the Nest was overpriced for what it does, but if there is a small sale on it, plus you get $100 rebate, then it might be worth it.

I'd use circulate feature that my current programmable thermostat does not have.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1023 posts
580 upvotes
GeekyCanuck wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 12:51 pm
Best Buy currently has the Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen on sale for $290.98 (regular price is $329) until July 16th, 2017.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nes ... 89044.aspx?

However, if you go to Home Depot and get them to price-match, you'll get an additional 10% off, bringing the sub-total down to $261.88 (this is what I did).

***IMPORTANT***
Additionally, if you're in an Enbridge Gas Program Delivery Area (and have an Enbridge account), you may qualify for a $100 credit on your bill just for buying a "smart" thermostat. Check out https://smartthermostats.ca/ for more details on this program.

If you do all the above, you get one of the best smart thermostats on the market for a net cost of $195.92 --- that's calculated as $261.88 + $34.04 Ontario HST - $100 rebate, if you're curious.

Enjoy!

-GeekyCanuck
Price match at lowe's for an additional 10% off :)
But this price isn't that great, since a couple days ago, best buy had it for $229 and with lowes 10% off, the total was: $233.89 TAX IN and with $100 rebate, its only $133.89.
Deals never wait for people, only people wait for deals.
Buy now, think later.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
3 posts
6 upvotes
Hey Zumi,

Thanks for chiming in, but not sure how useful it is to know that it WAS on sale, unless you own a time machine. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

All I know is these don't go on sale very often historically, so I grabbed it when I noticed it, and thought I would share with others.

Cheers
-GeekyCanuck,
Last edited by GeekyCanuck on Jul 16th, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
3 posts
6 upvotes
Hey EugW,

If you go to the website I linked to in my original post - https://smartthermostats.ca/ - it has all the details about what thermostats are covered (Ecobee, Honeywell and Nest) and how the program works. No control is given up so far as I can see, just a straight $100 rebate applied to your Enbridge bill for buying and installing a smart thermostat. But thinking about it, taking control wouldn't really make sense for Enbridge anyway, as there's no shortage of natural gas like there is with electricity (during peak times), and to save gas it would mean turning down/off people's heat in winter, which nobody in their right mind would agree to.

Oh, and since I got my Next 3rd Gen, I am using the fan scheduling feature to equalize the temperatures between 1st and 2nd floors of my house during the day. I also cover some registers on the 1st floor and all the registers in my unfinished basement, to force the cold air up to the top of the house, which seems to help.

Cheers,
-GeekyCanuck.
Oct 12, 2008
306 posts
342 upvotes
Markham
Inb4 "I can get a thermostat that does everything a Nest does for $3.50 tax in".

Nest is a premium product with a nice design (yes people care about how their home looks), good software and arguable useful smart functions. If it's not for you, move on.

The price is good for a Nest.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5760 posts
105 upvotes
Scarborough
So I bought it the other day when it was 229 at bestbuy. Install was super easy. One thing I don't like is I can't turn on the fan unless I turn the thermostat on. So I have to turn the ac temp to 30 (so it won't turn on until it hits 30) and then put the fan on. On my old digital thermostat, I could turn on the fan without the heat or ac being on.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6297 posts
2151 upvotes
Was going to buy these for the parents, but they were missing a C wire in theirs setup (1990 house) and thus I ended up with a Sensi smart thermostat instead.
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Jun 15, 2004
841 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I have a carrier modulating furnace. Does anyone know if any of the current gen thermostats whether ecobee or nest can control the carrier equipment better? I find the carrier smart thermostat is a total waste of garbage and rarely can I ever login and use the app to adjust my temp. Aka the server is never working.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5247 posts
747 upvotes
Mont-Royal
lithiumli wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:59 pm
So I bought it the other day when it was 229 at bestbuy. Install was super easy. One thing I don't like is I can't turn on the fan unless I turn the thermostat on. So I have to turn the ac temp to 30 (so it won't turn on until it hits 30) and then put the fan on. On my old digital thermostat, I could turn on the fan without the heat or ac being on.
you must be an electrician to install it
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5760 posts
105 upvotes
Scarborough
It's extremely straight forward remove the old thermostat and match the same wires to the same label on the nest

L4cky wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:07 pm
you must be an electrician to install it
Sep 6, 2011
145 posts
11 upvotes
Oakville
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:02 pm
Was going to buy these for the parents, but they were missing a C wire in theirs setup (1990 house) and thus I ended up with a Sensi smart thermostat instead.
how is the sensi thermostat working? been looking for a wifi thermostat for a while but living in an old house without c wire
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6297 posts
2151 upvotes
Ethanz wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:42 pm
how is the sensi thermostat working? been looking for a wifi thermostat for a while but living in an old house without c wire
Sensi's working great. It has the app integration expected and works reliably fine. It also has a "normal" digital thermostat screen too on top of the app integration because my parents (and I) find it far easier to walk to the darn thing and press real buttons with all the digital indicators. Don't really care about minimalist interfaces.
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Nov 13, 2009
456 posts
202 upvotes
Ajax
Ethanz wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:42 pm
You don't need the "C" wire for nest to work