Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Open Box Acer 15.6"/FHD/i5-8250U/MX 150/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard $650

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 10:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes

[Best Buy] Open Box Acer 15.6"/FHD/i5-8250U/MX 150/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard $650

$650 is decent for a laptop that has some of the the best features: FHD, dedicated GPU, 8th gen cpu, plenty of DDR4 RAM, large SSD, Backlit Keyboard

Don't forget ebates.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/EN-CA/product/id/12323859.aspx

Warranty:
Parts - 1 Year(s)
Labour - 1 Year(s)
Last edited by Glancealot on Jan 11th, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
Bitcoin will crash hard.
15 replies
Feb 1, 2007
818 posts
158 upvotes
Aurora
Acer is a deal breaker for me.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
It's a warm deal, so I'll +1 this, but it's hard to justify buying this for a few reasons..

- To be used as a low end gaming machine, it sucks (compare far better deals)
- Can't pretend to be a light notebook at nearly 5 pounds
- Battery life is worse, 7 hours on paper (obviously best case scenario)
- Premise of this is either hugging a power outlet or docked

For people who want light notebooks, there are better options. For people who want gaming laptops, there are better options.
Best deals:
Nov 18, 2015
892 posts
709 upvotes
Unionville, ON
hlzhang wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:06 am
Its true... I used it during University years and I vouch to never use another ACER once I am able to make some decent money and I've never looked back ever again...
But if you need a laptop on a super super tight budget then go for it...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes
TaurusJudge wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:36 am
It's a warm deal, so I'll +1 this, but it's hard to justify buying this for a few reasons..

- Can't pretend to be a light notebook at nearly 5 pounds
- Battery life is worse, 7 hours on paper (obviously best case scenario)
- Premise of this is either hugging a power outlet or docked

For people who want light notebooks, there are better options. For people who want gaming laptops, there are better options.
Thanks for the breakdown, but i think your logic falls apart during your first bullet point: the far better deal you linked isn't meant for low end gaming and is far more expensive. actually this machine is meant for, precisely, school AND low end gaming.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:45 pm
Thanks for the breakdown, but i think your logic falls apart during your first bullet point: the far better deal you linked isn't meant for low end gaming and is far more expensive. actually this machine is meant for, precisely, school AND low end gaming.
I had a machine like this a few years ago. It won't survive a day of school, let alone gaming, hence my comment about hugging a power outlet.

There are plenty of deals around here of machines that function similarly but with better specialty. In both links you have a slight graphics tradeoff for much longer battery life. I have a Zenbook for example, in this price range, and it lasts me a full work day plus night school on battery. There is far better than this. Plus I can do light gaming and watch football (Bundesliga, Premier League, etc.) matches. If you're satisfied with the machine in the OP, power to you, but not me.
Best deals:
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1039 posts
329 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:49 am
$650 is decent for a laptop that has some of the the best features: FHD, dedicated GPU, 8th gen cpu, plenty of DDR4 RAM, large SSD, Backlit Keyboard

Don't forget ebates.

I would say this is an excellent deal.

I look through RFD every day and see laptops every day, and in 2018-2019, there are "deals" from manufacturers that don't even include a SSD.

IMO it has been brutal trying to buy a laptop that touches all the bases that is under $800.

This laptop is a powerhouse and the only thing wrong with it is it is not portable!!!

If this laptop will stay on a desk, it is the best speced laptop I have seen on RFD for $650 in a long time.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1039 posts
329 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hlzhang wrote:
Well, my gf is still using the Acer I passed down to her.

It has an i3-2310m:

"CPU First Seen on Charts: Q1 2011"

So, I guess, about 6-7 yrs old and still going strong.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2784 posts
762 upvotes
Vancouver
reggielist wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:26 pm

I look through RFD every day and see laptops every day, and in 2018-2019, there are "deals" from manufacturers that don't even include a SSD.

IMO it has been brutal trying to buy a laptop that touches all the bases that is under $800.

This laptop is a powerhouse and the only thing wrong with it is it is not portable!!!

If this laptop will stay on a desk, it is the best speced laptop I have seen on RFD for $650 in a long time.
I bought this exact laptop from Staples on Black Friday 2017 BNIB for $700 (managed to apply coupons to bring it lower). Interestingly, I don't recall a whole lot of interest for it at the time.

My son uses it exactly as you've described -- school and light gaming. It seems to work fine for him. Spec-wise I agree with you -- I haven't seen any deal of late that ticks the same boxes.

I wouldn't worry about Acer. They seemed to have improved over the last several years. If anything, I've heard more complaints recently about Dell, HP. I've actually had more issues with my ASUS latops than I've had with Acer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes
hlzhang wrote:
this is like "racism" in the laptop world.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1341 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
TaurusJudge wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:36 am

That is Walmart USA and cost $1060 Canadian.
Dec 25, 2018
6 posts
14 upvotes
For the price, and given it has full warranty, this is a very good price. I do not recall seeing another laptop recently at this price with both an ssd & a dedicated video card, even if it is the lowly MX150 and only 2gb ram. At least its not the even lower MX130!

I did a quick search on ebay.com and even in America this notebook is being sold for $620USD + so from bestbuy with warranty this appears to be a great price.

Seriously a lot more computers in this price range should have dedicated gpu, and really now the GTX 1050. The MX 150 is a derivative of the GTX 940MX if my memory is correct, and that card is pretty ancient. We are seeing some real price taking occurring by computer retailers - I think the MX 150 is available in lots of 1000 for a very inexpensive cost per unit (I am told as in $20-30 unit) and yet it is marketed as if it is a high end addition to laptop specs when its the opposite.

Well it beats the native intel gpu which is on almost everything else in this price range so go for it.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
Krispy1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:57 pm
That is Walmart USA and cost $1060 Canadian.
That was one example and I've given two others. One can easily search this subforum and EHD to see for this relative price point there are many better options.
neversoonenough wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:58 pm
For the price, and given it has full warranty, this is a very good price. I do not recall seeing another laptop recently at this price with both an ssd & a dedicated video card, even if it is the lowly MX150 and only 2gb ram. At least its not the even lower MX130!

I did a quick search on ebay.com and even in America this notebook is being sold for $620USD + so from bestbuy with warranty this appears to be a great price.

Seriously a lot more computers in this price range should have dedicated gpu, and really now the GTX 1050. The MX 150 is a derivative of the GTX 940MX if my memory is correct, and that card is pretty ancient. We are seeing some real price taking occurring by computer retailers - I think the MX 150 is available in lots of 1000 for a very inexpensive cost per unit (I am told as in $20-30 unit) and yet it is marketed as if it is a high end addition to laptop specs when its the opposite.

Well it beats the native intel gpu which is on almost everything else in this price range so go for it.
Dedicated GPUs aren't wise to add to every computer, especially when the lower MX GPU's barely outperform Ryzen IGP (if they even outperform this generation at all) which barely outperforms Intel UHD 620 IGP. Adding these cards not only incurs a cost in itself (overhead costs that get forward to consumers), but adds further cost to development and troubleshooting since companies like Acer provide the end product, which means they're on the hook for costs of support and quality control/assurance. The more variability you add via products (that require support and functionality as people logically expect), the more complicated it makes QA/QC, which only serves to increase overhead costs. Furthermore, GPUs add weight to a laptop (bad), create more heat (bad), thus requiring more cooling, requiring more battery capacity, which adds more weight (bad), and overall adds more components, and thus complications to a finished product.

If tossing GPUs in every laptop were so profitable it would've been done already.
Best deals:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1428 posts
1349 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:37 pm
this is like "racism" in the laptop world.
Why? They are all Asian. If I pick this asian over that asian, how it is racist, even in the laptop world? But yeah, what matters these days it's what's under the hood and what the QC history is of the brand. I'm afraid Acer falls somewhere in bottom percentile, hence, their low price. If they could charge more they would.
Oct 20, 2013
179 posts
86 upvotes
reggielist wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:26 pm

If that's the case for anyone, please just get a desktop. It makes technical support easier too if you ever need to replace a part.

My issue with Acer is the amount of bloatware they have built-in. I've owned Lenovo, HP, Asus and Acer laptops. Acer is by far the biggest culprit in bloatware.