• Apr 21st, 2017 5:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3163 posts
792 upvotes
Canada

[Best Buy] Open Box Canon 70D + 18-135 STM Open Box $1080

This is an excellent deal for a Canon 70D kit. Discounted price will be reflected in the cart. Pretty much the same price as a used kit on Kijiji. Yes this same open box was $799 during black Friday price error but you will not get that price again. So we can lay those discussions to rest before they start. Best buy open box have the same warranty and return as new cameras. If the link doesn't work search for 10400983 on bestbuy's website. RFD link system is wonky.

Stills: This 70D with the 18-135 is an excellent camera kit for anyone looking to buy a DSLR. The lens is sharp, and has an amazingly useful focal length and image stabilization. The auto-focus on the 70d is the same at the 7D mk1 (except for tracking). This means that for stills this camera will be fast enough for any amateur/hobbyist/parent.

Video: As for video Canon has the best live view autofocus. The 80D/5DIV are only slightly better than the 70D in video auto-focus. But if video is your target than I would recommend Panasonic GH4 or Sony a6300. Canon doesn't do 4k, and uses inefficient codec which produces huge files. I won't get too far in to the mirrorless vs DSLR debate. I own both and I treat my sony mirrorless as a point and shoot basically because the ergonomics and menu make it too cumbersome to do serious hobby work. I use my DSLR for serious hobby work when I don't care about lugging 20lbs of gear and a backpack just to take 3 photos.

Summary: So buy the 70D if you want DSLR mainly for Stills. Buy Sony if you want stills and video in a small form factor. Buy Panasonic if you want to do mainly video. These are just my opinions, and others will disagree. Read a bunch of opinions, go to the store and feel the cameras and than buy.
Last edited by fatestkid on Apr 21st, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
12 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10390 posts
1311 upvotes
OP, your link doesn't work. This is a lukewarm deal, an OK price if you need it now.

If someone is looking for their first Canon DSLR, I would suggest getting a T2i or T3i on Kijiji for 150-200ish and saving a lot of money. 70D is overkill for most people. The 70D image sensor is not hugely better than the 60D / T2i. The 18-135 STM is a decent newbie all in one kit lens.

As someone using both Canon and Nikon, if someone is new to photography, I have to suggest Nikon at this point. Their image sensor is way ahead of Canon. The D7100 or D7200 is a much better camera than the 70D (unless we're talking video). The image sensor on a $250 Nikon D3200 blows away the 70D.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3163 posts
792 upvotes
Canada
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:21 pm
OP, your link doesn't work. This is a lukewarm deal, an OK price if you need it now.

If someone is looking for their first Canon DSLR, I would suggest getting a T2i or T3i on Kijiji for 150-200ish and saving a lot of money. 70D is overkill for most people. The 70D image sensor is not hugely better than the 60D / T2i.

As someone using both Canon and Nikon, if someone is new to photography, I have to suggest Nikon at this point. Their image sensor is way ahead of Canon. The D7100 or D7200 is a much better camera than the 70D (unless we're talking video).
I agree with you on canon vs Nikon but not on T2i/T3i point. Nikon uses sony sensors and they are just amazing on the crop side of things.

T2i is missing flip screen and no cross type AF. T3i is missing touch screen and no cross type. Neither of those cameras will properly focus on toddlers running around, or any other decently fast object. For static shots t2i/t3i will be fine. In fact my first camera in 2012 was a t2i. Also you will be hard pressed to find a t2i with lens for under $250 and t3i for under $300. They can come as low as $150 but its not the general used market price.

70D has an excellent AF system that will focus on pretty much anything. It also has much better ergonomics and battery life.

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
1244 posts
621 upvotes
the link works on PC

bought 700D 2 years ago, still dont know how to use it with manual mode :facepalm:
Last edited by Millenniunn on Apr 21st, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
Jan 14, 2014
985 posts
183 upvotes
Caledon
fatestkid wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:31 pm
I agree with you on canon vs Nikon but not on T2i/T3i point. Nikon uses sony sensors and they are just amazing on the crop side of things.

T2i is missing flip screen and no cross type AF. T3i is missing touch screen and no cross type. Neither of those cameras will properly focus on toddlers running around, or any other decently fast object. For static shots t2i/t3i will be fine. In fact my first camera in 2012 was a t2i. Also you will be hard pressed to find a t2i with lens for under $250 and t3i for under $300. They can come as low as $150 but its not the general used market price.

70D has an excellent AF system that will focus on pretty much anything. It also has much better ergonomics and battery life.
i was getting 70ds two years ago in guelph for 600 withthe 18-55 from guelphfoto crazy how the price went up so much on this camera because of the vlogging capabilities.
Im Selling Some Cool Stuff.
-Intel x99 Core i7 6800k gtx970 16gb ddr4 240gb ssd-1800$
-Dell e7470 14" ultrabook i5 6300u 8gb ram 256gb ssd-800$
Click here to check my BST post.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10390 posts
1311 upvotes
fatestkid wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:31 pm

They are all good cameras. I own T2i, 60D, D7100... I always use center focus point anyways as I find it's the only thing that's predictable and reliable for me. For low light crop sensor shooting, Nikon is so far ahead of Canon with their better sensors, 6400 ISO is no problem with Nikon.

If you're doing any sort of pro video or using legacy glass, Canon is so much better due to Magic Lantern.

This is a decent price if you want a retail 70D with proper warranty. The STM lens is worth about $300ish on its own.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3163 posts
792 upvotes
Canada
Millenniunn wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:34 pm
the link works on PC

bought 700D 2 years ago, still dont know how to use it with manual mode :facepalm:
If you are happy with your photos in Auto mode than there is nothing wrong with using it in Auto. Even though I never use Auto, I still recommend people use Auto if it means they will go out and use the camera, instead of it sitting in the closet. Also give TV/AV modes a try, a bit more technical than auto but still not too difficult.

Jan 14, 2014
985 posts
183 upvotes
Caledon
fatestkid wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:55 pm
If you are happy with your photos in Auto mode than there is nothing wrong with using it in Auto. Even though I never use Auto, I still recommend people use Auto if it means they will go out and use the camera, instead of it sitting in the closet. Also give TV/AV modes a try, a bit more technical than auto but still not too difficult.
T2i is still great tho, I understand your points about the AF and no touch or flip screen, Also the price being 150 is rare. esp with a kit lens, very rare to find. I have found and purchased them with sometimes both a 18-55 and 55-250 for under 200. But I also got an FS7 for under half price last year too. Deals can be had but not reliably enough to call them the market value of a used item.

That all being said, My t2i is still used as a 2nd camera when im solo shooting weddings with cinestyle and magic lantern that thing wont overheat even for a 1hour + ceremony. it will provide me great color and 1080p image up to 1600 iso. and honestly for the price. Even at that time. the 5d2 was on par with it. And so for 10x the price is a 70d worth it? No not if you dont need the features. Find a 200-250$ t2i/t3i is still my best advice for a absolute noob. T2i was my first cam and i did alto fo rap videos and fast motion events nightclubs ect. never had issues with focus ever.
Im Selling Some Cool Stuff.
-Intel x99 Core i7 6800k gtx970 16gb ddr4 240gb ssd-1800$
-Dell e7470 14" ultrabook i5 6300u 8gb ram 256gb ssd-800$
Click here to check my BST post.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3163 posts
792 upvotes
Canada
westnylefx wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:37 pm
T2i is still great tho, I understand your points about the AF and no touch or flip screen, Also the price being 150 is rare. esp with a kit lens, very rare to find. I have found and purchased them with sometimes both a 18-55 and 55-250 for under 200. But I also got an FS7 for under half price last year too. Deals can be had but not reliably enough to call them the market value of a used item.

That all being said, My t2i is still used as a 2nd camera when im solo shooting weddings with cinestyle and magic lantern that thing wont overheat even for a 1hour + ceremony. it will provide me great color and 1080p image up to 1600 iso. and honestly for the price. Even at that time. the 5d2 was on par with it. And so for 10x the price is a 70d worth it? No not if you dont need the features. Find a 200-250$ t2i/t3i is still my best advice for a absolute noob. T2i was my first cam and i did alto fo rap videos and fast motion events nightclubs ect. never had issues with focus ever.
T2i was a revolutionary camera for video at its time. I will always remember is lovingly because it was my first serious camera. The image quality improvement on the 70D is not big enough to warrant the purchase over a T2i. But 70D in every other respect is a better camera and yes it is worth paying 5x even at your best case $200 used price of t2i (not 10x more). Considering you are getting articulating + touch screen, STM lens, miles better AF, Wi-Fi, better body, warranty, return policy.

Point is that there is a market for $200 cameras, $1000 cameras and $50,000 cameras. In the right hands a phone will take better photos than what I can do with my DSLR. If people want to buy a T2i and spend the extra $800 on a lens that is a fantastic idea but it means they need to learn the limitations of the T2i and work around them. AF being the main one.

Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10390 posts
1311 upvotes
I would tell anyone with enough knowledge to buy from the used market -- you will save a considerable amount of money vs buying at new retail. There is a huge surplus of unwanted DSLR equipment on the resale market, as any casual user has moved to their smartphones. You can score some incredible deals. In the past few years most of my gear has been acquired used on Kijiji etc. The used market heavily favours the buyer.

As for warranty, why worry about warranty on a $200 camera? Most of these DSLRs are quite tough and the abuse they can take is amazing. Almost all my gear is 5 year old or older models and they do all I need them to (for portrait photography).

For professional sports photography and demanding autofocus situations I wouldn't use less than either a 7D (Canon) or D300 (Nikon) anyways. 70D is still amateur level.

It's why a lot of us kinda yawn at deals like the one in the OP. I guess it's a decent deal for new retail, but why pay more than you have to? For $1000 or less you can get a good body (60D, old 7D or better) and a few good lenses (telephotos, primes etc) in the resale market. Plus extra batteries, usually a free bag, etc.

Plus if you're cheap it's really extremely easy to score a T3i, 18-55, 50mm f1.8 and 55-250 IS for $350 to $400 cash. Add another $300 if you really want the 18-135 STM lens.
Feb 20, 2013
16 posts
2 upvotes
Is a good camera, specially for video. I do some sport shots and works very well, at least for skateboard, I would say that is a camera that will be with you for a while, I mean, it does not record in 4K but if you are more into photography there is nothing negative to say about it, is good for beginners and even more experienced people that has restricted budget, I mean, sometimes you see T6 ish for almost same price, so It worth pay few more and get this one.

I got mine to replace my old 5D mk2 that just died and despite the crop factor (if you get EF-S lenses is not a big deal, and to be honest, if you know what you are doing the crop sensor is not a problem at all), I have no complains. I got few months ago for $1024,00 with the 18-55mm lens at BestBuy, brand new. I also price matched using a Amazon deal, so it was pretty good price overall.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
1244 posts
621 upvotes
fatestkid wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:55 pm
Ha good point... I always thought i dont know how to use manual mode = dont know hot to use the camera = wasted...Disappointed But Relieved Face
Thx OP, bought 10! :facepalm:
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel