None
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12853 upvotes
Scarborough

[Best Buy] Best Buy - Pebble Smart Watch pre-order $134.99

Best Buy (and Futureshop) started taking pre-orders for the Pebble Smart Watch today for $149.99. Since this is in Best Buy's VIVA store you can apply the $15 off $50 code for signing up to their email list making it $134.99.

This isn't a huge discount but probably the best we'll see in the immediate future. The app support for this has been growing fast and there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with this. Item ships November 18th and is only available in black right now.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/peb ... 75215.aspx

RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
36 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
17489 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I would rather wear any of my regular watches over this myself. Pretty sure these are doomed as soon as google or one of their partners comes out with something natively running android. It's going to look crazy archaic super fast.
Dec 8, 2001
821 posts
145 upvotes
Ancaster
How does it track pace/distance for running? GPS or Step Counter?
Mar 9, 2009
479 posts
103 upvotes
Good to see this finally coming to our stores.

I've got one from Kickstarter and I prefer it over other smartwatches, mainly because of the 7-8 day battery and the always-on screen. It retains the feel that you're wearing a watch and not just another gadget that you have to plug in every night. I think android-running smartwatches are a little overkill, and it'll be a while before they can match the battery life of the Pebble.
Apr 18, 2010
185 posts
32 upvotes
Busiu wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 9:41 am
How does it track pace/distance for running? GPS or Step Counter?
No step counter, it takes the information from your phone.
That is why I am sticking to the Force. I was considering switching then read this article http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-34900_7-57 ... martwatch/

I'm going to stick to the Force right now. I would definitely stay with the force if it was 100% going to get call notifications for Androids and not only IOs
Apr 7, 2011
393 posts
113 upvotes
Too bad it's only in black.
Jan 2, 2012
260 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
how does this compare with the sony 2nd gen smart watches/
sony had been around longer
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1204 posts
178 upvotes
yea if this device had tracking capabilities like kreyos or fitbit, than i would jump on it, but only phone apps would not help since most of the phones cant track your steps...
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks OP just ordered one. Have till January to try it out...
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1502 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
BinaryJay wrote:
Oct 25th, 2013 9:41 am
I would rather wear any of my regular watches over this myself. Pretty sure these are doomed as soon as google or one of their partners comes out with something natively running android. It's going to look crazy archaic super fast.
Anyone can speculate but everyone except the pebble team has up until now only released mediocre smartwatches at best. And unfortunately the fact is google's track record for hardware isn't exactly impressive (DOA Nexus Q, MIA google glasses and chromecast).

I use the pebble watch on my iPhone and it's pretty great. Notifications, quick replies, calls, messages, emails, fitness apps, weather, calendar and full music control/interface is very useful. They also just recently launched their SDK 2.0 which activated all sorts of new HW/SW goodies and introduced 2 way communication APIs.
I hear Pebble is just as good (or better) with Android but I haven't hooked it up to my Nexus 4 yet (the N4 is not my daily driver).

I recommend reading more on the pebble before making more silly statements... Also, if you didn't already know google's primary Android hardware partner samsung has recently released the galaxy gear and it's a joke compared to the pebble. Other google partners have released equally underwhelming smart watches.

TL/DR - The pebble watch for 135$ is a great deal! Having used it since launch I would easily pay 200$ for this watch.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4692 posts
183 upvotes
Mad.Whack wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2013 12:03 am
Anyone can speculate but everyone except the pebble team has up until now only released mediocre smartwatches at best. And unfortunately the fact is google's track record for hardware isn't exactly impressive (DOA Nexus Q, MIA google glasses and chromecast).

I use the pebble watch on my iPhone and it's pretty great. Notifications, quick replies, calls, messages, emails, fitness apps, weather, calendar and full music control/interface is very useful. They also just recently launched their SDK 2.0 which activated all sorts of new HW/SW goodies and introduced 2 way communication APIs.
I hear Pebble is just as good (or better) with Android but I haven't hooked it up to my Nexus 4 yet (the N4 is not my daily driver).

I recommend reading more on the pebble before making more silly statements... Also, if you didn't already know google's primary Android hardware partner samsung has recently released the galaxy gear and it's a joke compared to the pebble. Other google partners have released equally underwhelming smart watches.

TL/DR - The pebble watch for 135$ is a great deal! Having used it since launch I would easily pay 200$ for this watch.
Interesting info, thanks.

Personally, I hear that Google bought out WIMM which supposedly was way ahead of it's time producing a very nice smartwatch ... i'm inclined to wait for the official Google version.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5041 ... hin-months
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?