Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Philips Hue White A19 Smart LED Light Bulbs - 4 Pack $39.99 (no Quebec)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 12:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2154 posts
990 upvotes
Ottawa

[Best Buy] Philips Hue White A19 Smart LED Light Bulbs - 4 Pack $39.99 (no Quebec)

BestBuy has the Philips Hue White A19 Light Bulb - 4 Pack for $40 with Free shipping (except Québec*) for those looking to add more bulbs to their Home Automation setup.
The BBB deal is over, their price has gone up to $64.99. Link to thread
The web description is incorrect - these are not the Ambiance bulbs, just regular smart dimmable white A19
$39.99
Save: $10
Sale Ends: November 14, 2017

*Note: Manufacturers will sometimes provide products that only contain English. Since this is not in compliance with Quebec language legislation, these English-only products cannot be shipped to the province of Quebec. Customers within Quebec may still purchase this product as long as it is shipped to a province outside of Quebec.

Edit: Updated post with no Quebec since package is English only
Last edited by gumby on Nov 9th, 2017 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
22 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2154 posts
990 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are looking to get the White Ambiance Starter Kit (bridge + 2 white ambiance bulbs + remote), BB has the kit for $89.99 ($40 off), an excellent price but today is the last day for that sale.
The ambiance bulbs can be adjusted from night light 2200K to cool daylight 6500K colour temperature in addition to being dimmable. The remote is neat and can be used to control up to 10 bulbs at a time instead of using the app.
Philips Hue Smart LED White Ambiance Starter Kit $89.99

The TP-Link switches (single pole, non-dimmable) are on sale half price for $24.99 at BB until today from this thread
TP-LINK Wi-Fi HS-200 Smart Light Switch $24.99
or from Amazon.ca for the same price, currently OOS but will ship when available
TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch (HS200)

Pair all of this with the Smartthings hub on sale at half price from Smartthings.com from this thread and you have a good starting setup
Samsung SmartThings Hub, 50% off, $49.50 USD + $15 S+H
Last edited by gumby on Nov 9th, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 19, 2008
904 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder if BB will do anything about the wrong item description? Name & Description all point to it being white ambiance instead of pure white..
Jul 23, 2005
938 posts
171 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Does not ship to Quebec :(
Aug 2, 2008
430 posts
34 upvotes
Just reserved for in store pickup, hopefully I can get the ambiance. Worth a try. I'll update how it goes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2154 posts
990 upvotes
Ottawa
atscaper wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:23 am
Just reserved for in store pickup, hopefully I can get the ambiance. Worth a try. I'll update how it goes.
I have not seen an ambiance kit with 4 bulbs so GL Winking Face
Sep 12, 2017
137 posts
15 upvotes
gumby wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:01 am
If you are looking to get the White Ambiance Starter Kit (bridge + 2 white ambiance bulbs + remote), BB has the kit for $89.99 ($40 off), an excellent price but today is the last day for that sale.
The ambiance bulbs can be adjusted from night light 2200K to cool daylight 6500K colour temperature in addition to being dimmable. The remote is neat and can be used to control up to 10 bulbs at a time instead of using the app.

Any idea what version of bulb/hub these Philips bulbs are?

Where do you keep the remote? Do you mount it as a light switch?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2154 posts
990 upvotes
Ottawa
Clee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:22 am
Does not ship to Quebec :(
OP updated. The 4-pack white kit looks like the only one with English-only package. The other Philips Hue packages seem to be shippable to Quebec.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2154 posts
990 upvotes
Ottawa
reggyDeal wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:26 am
Any idea what version of bulb/hub these Philips bulbs are?

Where do you keep the remote? Do you mount it as a light switch?
The bridge is 2nd gen and I think the bulbs are also 2nd gen since the luminance is 800 lumens vs 600 lumens for 1st gen. I think 3rd gen bulbs are the colour ambiance, not the white ambiance.
Philips Specs

The remote can be mounted anywhere, there's a plate with magnets to hold the remote. It can even be mounted beside your bed. I just leave the remote lying next to the most used location.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1567 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
Product number 472027 is for soft white, not the ambience. They don't have a 4 pack yet for daylight.

I think putting actual wireless dimming switches is cheaper than changing all the bulbs. If you have a neutral wire, there is no reason why you shouldn't change the switch.
May 29, 2005
558 posts
82 upvotes
Nepean
FYI, BB has the best price for Hue products. You can save 10% on most Hue products if you PM with HD. Sometime in the last month or so everyone except BB has been raising their prices (maybe for Black Friday discounts?).
Jan 17, 2012
108 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
gumby wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:01 am

The TP-Link switches (single pole, non-dimmable) are on sale half price for $24.99 at BB until today from this thread
TP-LINK Wi-Fi HS-200 Smart Light Switch $24.99
or from Amazon.ca for the same price, currently OOS but will ship when available
TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch (HS200)

Pair all of this with the Smartthings hub on sale at half price from Smartthings.com from this thread and you have a good starting setup
Samsung SmartThings Hub, 50% off, $49.50 USD + $15 S+H

Do you know if the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch (HS200) works directly with Google Assistant without a TP Link app? or is the app required?
Mar 10, 2008
377 posts
13 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
The TP-Link Kasa app is required, you just install it and and set it up normally and then link the app within Google Assistant, it works well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2154 posts
990 upvotes
Ottawa
pkphilip wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:50 am
I think putting actual wireless dimming switches is cheaper than changing all the bulbs. If you have a neutral wire, there is no reason why you shouldn't change the switch.
These bulbs are convenient when the light fixture contains a single bulb since it costs just $10/15 to have remote on/off/dimming capability. For fixtures with 2 bulbs, it's still easier with 2 of these. For fixtures with 3 bulbs or more then it becomes progressively cheaper to change the switch - TP-Link non-dimmable switch is $25 and dimmable/3-way switches cost more. For exterior lighting, it's better to use switches because the bulbs might not work reliably in the cold Canadian winter.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1567 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
gumby wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:26 pm
These bulbs are convenient when the light fixture contains a single bulb since it costs just $10/15 to have remote on/off/dimming capability. For fixtures with 2 bulbs, it's still easier with 2 of these. For fixtures with 3 bulbs or more then it becomes progressively cheaper to change the switch - TP-Link non-dimmable switch is $25 and dimmable/3-way switches cost more. For exterior lighting, it's better to use switches because the bulbs might not work reliably in the cold Canadian winter.
It depends on what kind of fixtures you have, some bulbs are more expensive than others, like flood or GU30.

Part of planing and doing smart home and automation is all about convenience and long term sustainability (unless you are planning to sell or rent). If you plan it right, it should be just set and forget; you shouldn't even need to babysit it. I think it will also increase your place's value because it is smarter.

I prefer switches is simply of elegance, cleanliness and consistency. If you have Philips Hue for example, you are stuck with Philips otherwise you will not get the same look. What happen if the model is discontinued and you need just 1 bulb out of 3? By using switches you can use any off the shelf bulbs that costs less than $5 ea.

I would avoid wifi as much as possible. Wifi devices uses more energy even at off state, they are unreliable (why Hue runs on Zigbee) and individual apps are required. Imagine you need to have one app for each manufacturers, and you have to pull the app each time, wait for it to connect to another server... how "convenient" is that? Also, you rely on third party server to run your stuff, and like I said earlier, not sustainable if someone decided to pull the plug (I am looking at your Harmony Link - Logitech!!).

My "smart and rich" friend has these apps on his phone to control his smart home - Wink, August, MyQ, Nest, Kasa, Lutron Caséta, Philips Hue, Logitech Harmony. It takes him 30 sec to pull the right app to do anything. This is not integration nor automation, this is merely just hooking up devices online. I showed him IFTTT and SmartThings and he was like OMFG, automation heaven!!

Wouldn't things be better if they can be integrated into 1 system that all you need is one app or voice control?

Unless Apple can streamline all the devices out there into one system, if you are planning about getting wifi devices, look at the sustainability. You don't want to get stuck with a device that doesn't work in the future. TP-Link has been selling these switches and one thing I dislike about this product is that I can't run them local. It has to go through the cloud - what if you internet is not working??