Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Philips Hue White A19 Smart LED Light Bulbs - 4 Pack $39.99 (no Quebec)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 12:37 pm
Jul 6, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
It looks like these are also on sale on Amazon.ca, but the model number is an older one

https://www.amazon.ca/White-Compatible- ... hue+4+pack

You can find that older model number for the same price on the bestbuy.ca website too, so I wonder if they're older bulbs or something.

I've seen people mention price matching this at Home Depot but it doesn't look like Home Depot even carries this 4 pack
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4792 posts
597 upvotes
GVR
"use 9.5W of power to illuminate."

Trying to interpret what it's trying to say here. The 9.5W, is that for power consumption rate for the bulb to stay lit up, or, is it saying that's the power consumption to 'initiate' the illumination (e.g. including the wifi/radio component's power consumption)? Also, this 9.5W, is measured at what kelvin white point?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1394 upvotes
Richmond
chatbox wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:58 pm
"use 9.5W of power to illuminate."

Trying to interpret what it's trying to say here. The 9.5W, is that for power consumption rate for the bulb to stay lit up, or, is it saying that's the power consumption to 'initiate' the illumination (e.g. including the wifi/radio component's power consumption)? Also, this 9.5W, is measured at what kelvin white point?
It's not WiFi, it's Zigbee, which is a lower-power protocol. In any case even the WiFi switches don't consume a measurable amount of power (i.e., more than 0.5 watts so that they would register on a power meter).
Sep 12, 2017
137 posts
15 upvotes
jamzbe wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:58 am
FYI, BB has the best price for Hue products. You can save 10% on most Hue products if you PM with HD. Sometime in the last month or so everyone except BB has been raising their prices (maybe for Black Friday discounts?).
Buy now think later? Guess one can always return / price adjust after buying?
Sep 12, 2017
137 posts
15 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:55 pm
It's not WiFi, it's Zigbee, which is a lower-power protocol. In any case even the WiFi switches don't consume a measurable amount of power (i.e., more than 0.5 watts so that they would register on a power meter).
So home router is only to connect to the bridge which then controls the bulbs via Zigbee protocol?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1394 upvotes
Richmond
reggyDeal wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:32 pm
So home router is only to connect to the bridge which then controls the bulbs via Zigbee protocol?
Correct.

The advantage of WiFi bulbs is that you don't need a bridge. They connect to your home WiFi network directly.

But WiFi is a high-speed/high-power protocol that needs a more complicated and expensive processor, and your network may start to get cluttered with too many WiFi devices.

Zigbee is an open-source low-speed/low-power protocol with built-in mesh support to extend the range via the whole network of devices. It makes the devices cheaper and keeps the clutter off your WiFi network, at the cost of needing a bridge.

Z-wave is the same thing except that the technology is proprietary, all licensed from one company, so it's a bit more expensive. But Z-wave operates outside the 2.4 GHz band, while Zigbee overlaps with 2.4 GHz WiFi, allowing some degree of mutual radio interference.
Jan 3, 2007
638 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Do I need the Philips Bridge to use the Philips Hue Ambiance lights if I already have the Samsung Smartthings?
Apr 7, 2007
114 posts
45 upvotes
mawzi wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:39 am
Do I need the Philips Bridge to use the Philips Hue Ambiance lights if I already have the Samsung Smartthings?
No you don't need the Philips Bridge to use the Philips Bulb if you already have the SmartThings Hub. The only problem arises is if you want to unpair the bulbs from the ST Hub and pair them to the Philips Bridge or another Hub as they are locked to the Zigbee channel (usually Channel 14). You will need to get the Lutron Connected Remote to unpair the bulbs from the ST Hub in order to repair them to another hub.