• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 7:10 am
May 13, 2009
143 posts
192 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
juniorkid wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:17 pm
I'll verify again tonight. I'm 99% sure it does as I had started shooting some 4K H265 on my Sony phone until I realized only my phone and this player actually played the files! But I will double check tonight. And yes, the 4K Planet Earth video is H265. The list of codecs this player can do is:

HEVC
VP9 Profile 0
H.264
MPEG4 (AVC)
MPEG2
AVCHD
I was *wrong*. It would not play H265 either from USB or DLNA!!
Dec 8, 2006
363 posts
81 upvotes
Scarborough
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 1:53 pm
Stop progress already! We need to still have PSX with horrible polygon graphics, PCs based on original Pentium CPUs w/Compuserve & AOL for "internet", cellphones that took up a place in your car trunk w/texting not even heard of or imagined, and cars with 5L V8 engines with 180hp! Join the RFD Luddite Squad today and say no to all this pesky technology! :lol:

While it was in some ways nice that NTSC lasted like 50 years and TVs used to be good for decades and there were basically no must-have new things about them, today's not like that and we're definitely not going back to that. Now $$$ are made by making things that break easily and need replacing in a few years, along with never really giving all the tech you have at the moment but instead giving it in small doses to "keep it interesting" and in turn keep people buying more and more and more. First EDTV, then HDTV which started as HD (720p) and moved to FHD (1080p), then to LCDs basically taking over, then to "moar hertz", then 3D, then UHD (4k), then HDR, true HDR, Dolby Vision, then OLED, then...well there's more coming--8k, probably more 3D...who knows. Every year there's gonna be something new for you to keep buying and "upgrading to" unfortunately.

Honestly you just have to draw the line yourself. I drew it at 1080p and 3D so far and really haven't had any desire to start upgrading the five HDTVs and few monitors I have to 4K...just to have something to spend money on :rolleyes: The only things I see happening are having to replace a display due to failure, or simply deciding to upgrade to a larger set in my living room (which will probably happen in another two years and will probably be a 4K OLED set I imagine), but if you think about it 1080p did last a good while. BDs the better part of the last decade, which again is not as long as CRT/SD/VHS did, but it's not like it was over in 2 years. I don't see the need myself to upgrade my BD collection any time soon. Well mainly because I only have 1080p displays anyway but otherwise because I'm really perfectly fine with 1080p. I don't see anything wrong with it and don't fine I need "moar resolution" just because FHD has gotten bad or anything. This is in contrast to upgrading from SD which, all things considered, was sorely needed by that time.

I suspect your mom doesn't need/care about a UHD BD player either, despite having a new 4K TV. For the vast majority of folks Netflix, AIV, etc. are perfectly fine. I suggest you opt out of buying a player altogether.

As for how this dedicated player differs from an XboneS/X...well it doesn't play Xbone games, for starters :P

I also stopped at 1080P for my collections. Although I do have the 4K Sony I'm happy with Netflix at the moment. My next focus will be audio I think and let the format wars settle down a bit. I just picked up the PsPro at Shoppers 20x Points, 20% off Today ..

I'd get the Xbox X but I havent seen one at Shoppers yet. But this little HDVDVD player seems like a deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2518 posts
794 upvotes
juniorkid wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 5:55 pm
I was *wrong*. It would not play H265 either from USB or DLNA!!
thanks for checking! It is a major disappointment. I wont buy another player until hevc/h265 is supported for movie files. The player certainly has the capability of doing that right now but not sure why it wont play it.
Aug 5, 2015
921 posts
406 upvotes
Montreal, QC
badOne wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 8:43 pm
thanks for checking! It is a major disappointment. I wont buy another player until hevc/h265 is supported for movie files. The player certainly has the capability of doing that right now but not sure why it wont play it.
Just get an Nvidia Shield and you'll be able to play what you want through something like Kodi which would be a much better experience than any BD player would offer.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Jul 5, 2003
221 posts
19 upvotes
Regina
I purchased one of these players this morning, and will be returning it tomorrow. It won't play MKV. It won't play XVID. It is supposed to support MP4 files, and it actually does play them, but only off of USB drives. It won't play MP4 files that are burned on BD-R discs! This makes the machine totally useless to me, as I have a large collection of TV episodes on BD-R. My old Philips Blu-Ray player has no problem playing these discs.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3248 posts
501 upvotes
pennypincher wrote: I purchased one of these players this morning, and will be returning it tomorrow. It won't play MKV. It won't play XVID. It is supposed to support MP4 files, and it actually does play them, but only off of USB drives. It won't play MP4 files that are burned on BD-R discs! This makes the machine totally useless to me, as I have a large collection of TV episodes on BD-R. My old Philips Blu-Ray player has no problem playing these discs.
I would have bought it too if it played mkv and xvid files... Don't really need the 4k bray functionality
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4638 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
pennypincher wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 11:19 pm
I purchased one of these players this morning, and will be returning it tomorrow. It won't play MKV. It won't play XVID. It is supposed to support MP4 files, and it actually does play them, but only off of USB drives. It won't play MP4 files that are burned on BD-R discs! This makes the machine totally useless to me, as I have a large collection of TV episodes on BD-R. My old Philips Blu-Ray player has no problem playing these discs.
So basically it won't play any marginally illegal files that you may or may not have the backups for on your PC.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Aug 5, 2015
921 posts
406 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You folks crack me up. You expect a $100 device, which is meant to play 4K HEVC disks, to act like an HTPC. I'm surprised no one asked if it ran Kodi and could play 4K games.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2518 posts
794 upvotes
pennypincher wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 11:19 pm
It looks like Philips deliberately nerfed these formats. It is not even Philips that makes the chipset that allows the player to play these file formats - Philips deliberately disabled them. I wont be touching this one for sure.
Nov 14, 2013
752 posts
212 upvotes
Moncton
Viper98 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 12:56 pm
Ok... There are no legitimate 4k HDR movie streams with compressed audio either.

And HDR is far and away the most important aspect of UHD blurays
yes there are, you could argue they are inferior to whats on a disk but they do exist. Apple, Google, Microsoft etc... all have them up. Apple even went so far as to support dolby vision and upgrade existing purchases for free (if you bought 1080p movies you get the hdr 4k version). For now support for 4k hdr is limited to specific devices, but a chromecast ultra is already less than $100. Heres a list you can play on the apple tv, its from September so im sure theres much more now. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/app ... -on-itunes For 4k hdr content it seems apple tv is the way to go, dolby vision support and the pricing is actually good!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3248 posts
501 upvotes
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 11:40 pm
You folks crack me up. You expect a $100 device, which is meant to play 4K HEVC disks, to act like an HTPC. I'm surprised no one asked if it ran Kodi and could play 4K games.
im not expecting lol...its just a bonus addon if if it did play .mkv, then imo this would be a HOT deal!
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Aug 5, 2015
921 posts
406 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mikka2017 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:27 am
im not expecting lol...its just a bonus addon if if it did play .mkv, then imo this would be a HOT deal!
It's just the people who are returning it because it doesn't play their 4K MP4 content from some external source... come on, what a waste of resources and time.
Nov 14, 2013
752 posts
212 upvotes
Moncton
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:32 am
It's just the people who are returning it because it doesn't play their 4K MP4 content from some external source... come on, what a waste of resources and time.
Its expected that it can play videos from external sources, most of the other players do.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2518 posts
794 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:34 am
Its expected that it can play videos from external sources, most of the other players do.
As far as I can remember, all players can play mkv, divx, and mp4 files. This is the only one that doesn't. Even my sony that came with speakers selling for less, as refurb, played all 3. This player is a joke.