Hot Deals

[Best Buy] PHILLIPS 4K HDR BLURAY PLAYER BEST BUY $100

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2018 7:10 am
Oct 19, 2008
35 posts
7 upvotes
Fall River, Nova Sco…
Picked one up last night as I think it will be perfect for my purposes. I want a dedicated physical media player to sit in my dedicated theater room doing nothing but outputting through my receiver to my projector.
May 13, 2009
114 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
badOne wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:41 am
As far as I can remember, all players can play mkv, divx, and mp4 files. This is the only one that doesn't. Even my sony that came with speakers selling for less, as refurb, played all 3. This player is a joke.
It can play mp4 files from DLNA or USB, just not H265 encoded files. So if you have a 4K H264 file, it will play it just fine. It did not like .MKV files from DLNA or USB. Never tested divX.

Either way, it's a losing battle if you want to play all these formats on a BluRay player. It's just not what it was designed for. You can get a Raspberry Pi and put OSMC (a Kodi variant) and then you can play all your files, except H265 due to the limitation of the GPU of the Raspberry Pi. Or, you can get a cheap computer and install Kodi. There really is no silver bullet here. Unless you build an HTPC, but as far I am aware, getting a bluRay drive in a computer that can play 4K really well is the other problem you will run into.

All the best.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1923 posts
579 upvotes
ok thanks for the update

I'm not even going to ask about subtitling support for these media files heh. A whole new Pandora's box with subtitling support.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1235 posts
198 upvotes
Mississauga
mikka2017 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 10:27 am
im not expecting lol...its just a bonus addon if if it did play .mkv, then imo this would be a HOT deal!
But are there any other BD UHD players that will play physical media for 100 ? if not then this is still a HOT deal if thats all your looking for.
I already have a HTPC and a MiBox and a PS3.. Yes I bought it just to watch Planet Earth 2.. but any new media I buy from now is UHD so no brainer for $100
I'll see if anything else comes up on BoxingDay that is better.
Aug 5, 2015
615 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal, QC
juniorkid wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:46 pm
It can play mp4 files from DLNA or USB, just not H265 encoded files. So if you have a 4K H264 file, it will play it just fine. It did not like .MKV files from DLNA or USB. Never tested divX.

Either way, it's a losing battle if you want to play all these formats on a BluRay player. It's just not what it was designed for. You can get a Raspberry Pi and put OSMC (a Kodi variant) and then you can play all your files, except H265 due to the limitation of the GPU of the Raspberry Pi. Or, you can get a cheap computer and install Kodi. There really is no silver bullet here. Unless you build an HTPC, but as far I am aware, getting a bluRay drive in a computer that can play 4K really well is the other problem you will run into.

All the best.
Vero 4K and Nvidia Shield would be your cheapest choices for an HTPC that can hardware decode HEVC 10bit HDR files.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Jan 14, 2010
212 posts
77 upvotes
I just want to great something that will play Netflix and Youtube, as my boyfriend's Youtube app stopped being supported and it's just starting to crap the bed all together. Would this be overkill? I just want something that will (hopefully) have supported software for a while.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3053 posts
460 upvotes
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 4:43 pm
Vero 4K and Nvidia Shield would be your cheapest choices for an HTPC that can hardware decode HEVC 10bit HDR files.
Neither of those are HTPC’s
Aug 5, 2015
615 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal, QC
rinse wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 8:33 pm
Neither of those are HTPC’s
Well, media box if you want, but same idea.
Nov 14, 2013
656 posts
160 upvotes
Moncton
QTsmum wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 8:22 pm
I just want to great something that will play Netflix and Youtube, as my boyfriend's Youtube app stopped being supported and it's just starting to crap the bed all together. Would this be overkill? I just want something that will (hopefully) have supported software for a while.
Get a chromecast for $20 on sale. If you need 4k, the chromecast ultra is still cheaper than this.
Aug 5, 2015
615 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal, QC
KevinC268 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 9:31 am
Get a chromecast for $20 on sale. If you need 4k, the chromecast ultra is still cheaper than this.
The Chromecast Ultra won't transcode 4K HEVC/H.265 directly, without using something like Plex, so be careful with your expectations when trying to save a few bucks.
Jan 14, 2010
212 posts
77 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 9:31 am
I'll check it out. I'm so out of touch with technology, holy crap. Thank you!
Nov 14, 2013
656 posts
160 upvotes
Moncton
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:15 am
The Chromecast Ultra won't transcode 4K HEVC/H.265 directly, without using something like Plex, so be careful with your expectations when trying to save a few bucks.
This is true, the chromecast is somewhat limited for local (pirated ) content. However for legit content its actually pretty good. It seems that its possible to get 4k hevc working on the chromecast ultra through plex https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... hromecast/ but this is the sort of thing that could one day stop working.
Aug 5, 2015
615 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal, QC
KevinC268 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:45 am
This is true, the chromecast is somewhat limited for local (pirated ) content. However for legit content its actually pretty good. It seems that its possible to get 4k hevc working on the chromecast ultra through plex https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... hromecast/ but this is the sort of thing that could one day stop working.
I know a lot of people who are transcoding their 4K Blu-ray disks as HEVC files, so it's not because you've got high quality video files that they're pirated, but I'll grant you that most of this type of content is.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2005
9501 posts
1696 upvotes
So, I was lucky enough to snag one of these... I only have one input that is capable of HDR, it is also my ARC input, so wondering has anyone found a good and reasonable priced HDMI 2.0 switch capable of HDR? Saw one on Amazon, that is 3 in, 1 out, reviews say it works well, but want to make sure, or at least find a better switching receiver since my Pioneer won't do 2.0 or HDCP 2.2.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.