Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Playstation Classic - $29.99 (starts April 18)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2019 3:06 pm
Newbie
Aug 25, 2017
91 posts
167 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 5:12 pm
The Playstation Classic is proving itself a proper monster when it comes to classic and semi-modern console games.
It's fantastic for that purpose and why a lot of us are excited to snap them up for $20.

To explain the conflicting opinions, fresh out of the box without any modifications it *IS* a hunk of junk. It doesn't work right, it's a defective product. Framerates are choppy, gameplay is screwed up (many older consoles tied gameplay to frame rates assuming they'd be static), it's a hot mess.

Fortunately there's an easy fix! As has been posted a bunch of times in the thread, you can jailbreak it extremely easily. Once jailbroken, that defective hunk of junk is transformed into a fantastic device. As RFDG said above, it runs a number of emulators flawlessly. But even if you don't want to mess around with emulators and installing other games, simply flipping the switch from PAL to NTSC fixes the framerate and gameplay issues. Why on earth Sony made that switch inaccessible in the base UI is baffling beyond words.

It's entirely reasonable to say it's a broken hunk of junk to anyone not inclined to tinker with it for 5 minutes and install the hack. It's similarly reasonable to say it's a fantastic deal for anyone inclined to copy a piece of software off the internet to a USB drive and plug it in. Different potential consumers.

No one should think for a second it's a reasonable buy at any price without the hack though. You *will* be disappointed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6730 posts
7060 upvotes
zott23 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 5:44 pm
It's fantastic for that purpose and why a lot of us are excited to snap them up for $20.

To explain the conflicting opinions, fresh out of the box without any modifications it *IS* a hunk of junk. It doesn't work right, it's a defective product. Framerates are choppy, gameplay is screwed up (many older consoles tied gameplay to frame rates assuming they'd be static), it's a hot mess.

Fortunately there's an easy fix! As has been posted a bunch of times in the thread, you can jailbreak it extremely easily. Once jailbroken, that defective hunk of junk is transformed into a fantastic device. As RFDG said above, it runs a number of emulators flawlessly. But even if you don't want to mess around with emulators and installing other games, simply flipping the switch from PAL to NTSC fixes the framerate and gameplay issues. Why on earth Sony made that switch inaccessible in the base UI is baffling beyond words.

It's entirely reasonable to say it's a broken hunk of junk to anyone not inclined to tinker with it for 5 minutes and install the hack. It's similarly reasonable to say it's a fantastic deal for anyone inclined to copy a piece of software off the internet to a USB drive and plug it in. Different potential consumers.

No one should think for a second it's a reasonable buy at any price without the hack though. You *will* be disappointed.
You're articulate, and correct.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6730 posts
7060 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 5:33 pm
Only reason I bought this was for an emulator machine. So it does a good job at emulating SNES, N64 and NES games?
SNES, NES, and MAME among others... are solid.

N64 is pretty solid.

Dreamcast is slower and occasionally choppy.
Member
Sep 4, 2009
431 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary
xristophoros wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 12:05 pm
let me get this straight... people were calling this product junk and worthless only a few weeks/months ago. ok, fair enough, you are entitled to your opinions (as much as i disagree). why then, when it drops to this price point, it suddenly becomes desirable for those folks? if it is still considered worthless junk by those same individuals, why would they be excited to pay $30 for it? i am trying to comprehend the spite and hate i have seen towards this product. after the mods were released and the price dropped to $60, this product was more than worth its price point. the hating should have stopped there.
Let me get this straight... Sony PlayStation Classic was like McDonald’s selling you a Big Mac with out the bun and the sauce and for $12. The Classic didn’t come with a power adapter and the games were crippled. Well, you can mod it and add your own games. Sure, you can also take the Big Mac home and then use your own buns and your own sauce and make it super awesome.

However, if McD’s started to sell its gimped Big Mac at a $0.25 instead of $12; then people will be okay with buying their own bun and supplying there own sauce. At $12 it was junk.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2008
760 posts
142 upvotes
Still wondering: Autobleem vs Bleemsync ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6730 posts
7060 upvotes
while[1];do;done wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 6:08 pm
Let me get this straight... Sony PlayStation Classic was like McDonald’s selling you a Big Mac with out the bun and the sauce and for $12. The Classic didn’t come with a power adapter and the games were crippled. Well, you can mod it and add your own games. Sure, you can also take the Big Mac home and then use your own buns and your own sauce and make it super awesome.

However, if McD’s started to sell its gimped Big Mac at a $0.25 instead of $12; then people will be okay with buying their own bun and supplying there own sauce. At $12 it was junk.
First of all... I'm on keto, so that's how I eat my fast food. Cheap shot, bro.

Modding is free and kind of fun, but your point is made.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 1, 2005
1228 posts
502 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
For anyone looking for a cheap USB memory stick for the PS Classic, WM has the "blackweb" 32GB USB 3.0 memory stick for $7.98. I have seen it at 2 WM's in my area and it is currently also available online. In-store, it was located in the usual cell phone memory card/stick area of the store.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blackweb-u ... 0199245354

Cheers and Happy Easter!
Last edited by montward on Apr 20th, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6730 posts
7060 upvotes
montward wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 6:32 pm
For anyone looking for a cheap USB memory stick for the PS Classic, WM has the "blackweb" 32GB USB 3.0 memory stick for $7.98. I have seen it at 2 WM's in my area and it is currently also available online. In-store, it was located in the cell phone memory card/stick area of the store.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blackweb-u ... 0199245354

Cheers and Happy Easter!
USB 3.0 support is spotty on the PSC without a hardware mod or powered USB 3.0 hub
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 1, 2005
765 posts
374 upvotes
Montreal
montward wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 6:32 pm
For anyone looking for a cheap USB memory stick for the PS Classic, WM has the "blackweb" 32GB USB 3.0 memory stick for $7.98. I have seen it at 2 WM's in my area and it is currently also available online. In-store, it was located in the usual cell phone memory card/stick area of the store.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blackweb-u ... 0199245354

Cheers and Happy Easter!
Did you try it with the PSC?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 29, 2007
1976 posts
1287 upvotes
No Bum Deals
FWIW I just priced matched at my local WM. Thanks OP. Looking forward to tinkering.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 [both FREE] | 1x Koodo 40/6 [paying $15] | 1x Fido Data 15/3 [FREE - Free GPad] 🢀
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 27, 2012
184 posts
240 upvotes
while[1];do;done wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 6:08 pm
Let me get this straight... Sony PlayStation Classic was like McDonald’s selling you a Big Mac with out the bun and the sauce and for $12. The Classic didn’t come with a power adapter and the games were crippled. Well, you can mod it and add your own games. Sure, you can also take the Big Mac home and then use your own buns and your own sauce and make it super awesome.

However, if McD’s started to sell its gimped Big Mac at a $0.25 instead of $12; then people will be okay with buying their own bun and supplying there own sauce. At $12 it was junk.
wrong. junk is junk, no matter the price. if it were strictly the price people had issue with, they would have said so. no, in this case, people couldn't shit on the product more if they tried... whether the price was $130 or $60 or even $40. many people wanted nothing to do with this product. PERIOD. now, it's as if they have done a 360 degree turn and suddenly like the product just because it is cheaper. you have failed to understand my point. if it was outright junk, no discount of any kind would be good enough to make it an item worth purchasing. get it?
bunch of hypocrites on here lol...

at the end of the day, most people were going to mod this machine anyways... it sucks that it was released in a very poor state and the community had to save it... but that does not change the fact that the hardware was solid out of the box and a good value from that perspective. now with the mods, it is great.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 26, 2006
1571 posts
1079 upvotes
Alberta
xristophoros wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 7:30 pm
wrong. junk is junk, no matter the price. if it were strictly the price people had issue with, they would have said so. no, in this case, people couldn't shit on the product more if they tried... whether the price was $130 or $60 or even $40. many people wanted nothing to do with this product. PERIOD. now, it's as if they have done a 360 degree turn and suddenly like the product just because it is cheaper. you have failed to understand my point. if it was outright junk, no discount of any kind would be good enough to make it an item worth purchasing. get it?
bunch of hypocrites on here lol...

at the end of the day, most people were going to mod this machine anyways... it sucks that it was released in a very poor state and the community had to save it... but that does not change the fact that the hardware was solid out of the box and a good value from that perspective. now with the mods, it is great.
It's always about value, at $20 this has great value.
Newbie
Aug 25, 2017
91 posts
167 upvotes
xristophoros wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 7:30 pm
it sucks that it was released in a very poor state and the community had to save it... but that does not change the fact that the hardware was solid out of the box and a good value from that perspective. now with the mods, it is great.
You’re overestimating the likelihood of your average consumer investigating, discovering the hack, following through and doing it just to get base functionality out of the PSC.

Out of the box it’s broken and games range from shoddy to disastrous. That it can be fixed after the fact doesn’t impact the overwhelming majority of customers. It deserves every bit of negative press it got. There’s zero excuse for shipping a broken product, especially one so easily fixed by flipping one switch from PAL to NTSC.

I’m thrilled with mine, but I’m also not the average consumer of electronics like this. I’m aware of the online discussion surrounding the device, how to fix it, and tech inclined enough to do so. It was designed to be a plug and play piece of consumer electronics and utterly failed at that, thus the excellent clearance deal to be had for tinkerers and tech enthusiasts.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
913 posts
813 upvotes
xristophoros wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 7:30 pm
wrong. junk is junk, no matter the price. if it were strictly the price people had issue with, they would have said so. no, in this case, people couldn't shit on the product more if they tried... whether the price was $130 or $60 or even $40. many people wanted nothing to do with this product. PERIOD. now, it's as if they have done a 360 degree turn and suddenly like the product just because it is cheaper. you have failed to understand my point. if it was outright junk, no discount of any kind would be good enough to make it an item worth purchasing. get it?
bunch of hypocrites on here lol...

at the end of the day, most people were going to mod this machine anyways... it sucks that it was released in a very poor state and the community had to save it... but that does not change the fact that the hardware was solid out of the box and a good value from that perspective. now with the mods, it is great.
Show the posts where these words were said. Name names, show quotes. Until then, all Hyperbole.

I don't know that 'everyone' was going to mod this automatically. If it wasn't possible, then obviously not. If its too difficult, many won't attempt. In contrast, the NES/SNES are both very easy to mod, but even then some people still won't do it. I will attempt eventually, but I can already see its not as easy as the Nintendo Classics.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri

Top