• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2016 11:41 am
Tags:
None
Oct 13, 2007
94 posts
28 upvotes

Best Buy PriceCheat Policy

Really disappointed with the shady practices of this supposedly reputed big box retailer.

I called Best Buy on the phone for a price beat with a big screen TV at a competitor store (Canada Computers) and a soundbar. The price beat was APPROVED on the phone by the associate after verifying the price, model, availability etc at the competitor store. This was on June 19th. While I was on the phone, I was asked to place the order on the website, give the order # to the associate and told that the price beat discount would be applied to my order 3-4 days after the entire amount is charged to my card. I assumed I can trust what I'm told by their customer service agent. Apparently, that's not the case.

8 days after the order is placed, just the day before scheduled delivery of the TV and when the soundbar has already been delivered, I am informed by "head office" that the price beat is not approved. How can that be? They got me to place the order on their website at full price under false pretenses that the price beat was approved. After half the order has been delivered, and their home delivery team is at my doorstep for the remaining items, they tell me that the price they agreed to sell the product at is not valid. Multiple emails back to the "head office" have received no response. I refused delivery for the TV when the person showed up at my door. Phone calls to customer service result in no satisfactory outcomes - apparently they are "helpless" and cannot do anything against head office. But they will happily "approve" price beats for customers to lead them on. I went into the Mississauga store and the manager there told me he is helpless too. For my troubles, he offered to sell me the TV at a discount from full price - a whole $600 more than what I would've paid at Canada Computers.

I disputed the charges with my credit card company and there is no resolution yet. I put in my complaint on their Facebook and Twitter. Their social media team said they would investigate, but I got an email again from their "head office" saying the same thing. That all price beats are reviewed and mine was declined. There was no mention of the review when I went through the process on the phone. They agreed to sell me a product at a certain price and then after getting me to place the order, changed the price on me. Not only did I waste my time, but I've lost the opportunity to buy this product from the competitor store. Apparently as a "goodwill gesture", they agreed to the price match on the soundbar but not on the TV. And they tell me that because the delivery was declined, they will reverse the charges when the TV returns to their depot. Scheduled delivery was on the 28th of June. Today is the 14th of July. And the charges on my card have not been reversed. Emails to their customer service haven't received a response. I don't care what happened to the TV after I declined delivery (due to their lack of coordination - if they were declining the price beat, they should've coordinated with their delivery team to hold off on delivering the order until the dispute is resolved). Its not my problem whether it goes to the depot or the delivery guy sells it in the black market. The money should've been credited back to my credit card.

Any recommendations on how I can pursue this? It was a huge price beat ($1100 + taxes) that they approved first and then declined. I don't want to keep the soundbar either - its a matter of principle now. But I don't believe I should have to make the effort to go to their store to return it. They changed the price of the order on me - so it should be them fixing the situation.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
[QUOTE]While I was on the phone, I was asked to place the order on the website, give the order # to the associate and told that the price beat discount would be applied to my order 3-4 days after the entire amount is charged to my card. I assumed I can trust what I'm told by their customer service agent.Apparently, that's not the case. [/QUOTE]

:lol: is this for real? Seems like trolling.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Oct 13, 2007
94 posts
28 upvotes
That's what they told me on the phone. And each customer service rep I spoke to later was able to see the notes in the system to apply the discount per price beat. I even asked to speak to their supervisor, but they were no help - said they cannot reverse anything that the "head office" decides.
May 29, 2016
498 posts
284 upvotes
Just curious, what, in your view, is the ideal resolution to this situation?

Either way, you should contact a lawyer. IMO your situation is ripe for analysis by contract theorists - they need to find out what exactly was said by the CS rep, what he/she promised, and what he/she had the authority to promise as a representative of the company, and to what extent the company can be held liable for said promises.
Oct 13, 2007
94 posts
28 upvotes
LarissaC wrote: Just curious, what, in your view, is the ideal resolution to this situation?

Either way, you should contact a lawyer. IMO your situation is ripe for analysis by contract theorists - they need to find out what exactly was said by the CS rep, what he/she promised, and what he/she had the authority to promise as a representative of the company, and to what extent the company can be held liable for said promises.
If you had asked me a few days ago, I would've said they should fulfill the order at the agreed discounted price. But now, honestly, after this entire experience, lack of responsiveness, pathetic customer service, and lack of trust - I would prefer to take my business elsewhere - all I want is a swift cleanup - the money back on my card, the soundbar be picked up from my place and a formal apology from the company. I sincerely do hope, for the sake of other customers, that they look into their policy, process and coordination between departments etc.
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
993 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
Next time, get their price beat promise in writing by email and try to record the phone conversation. Now it's your word against theirs.

I tried to price match at Canada Computers once (DDO location) and was refused. The manager said my price was below their cost, so, too bad. Of course I could never know what their cost prices are so they can use this excuse every time.
Oct 13, 2007
94 posts
28 upvotes
RSole wrote: Next time, get their price beat promise in writing by email and try to record the phone conversation. Now it's your word against theirs.

I tried to price match at Canada Computers once (DDO location) and was refused. The manager said my price was below their cost, so, too bad. Of course I could never know what their cost prices are so they can use this excuse every time.
I asked them for an email confirmation and they had said I would get it once the price was adjusted. That I would see two charges on the card. One for the full price. And then the discount credited after 3-4 days. They should have this recorded and should be able to play it back.

I would've been OK if they had declined the price beat when I called them initially. It's their policy (however ambiguous it may be - there are people on RFD that got exactly the same price match without a hitch)

But I have a problem if they tell me it's approved and then renege several days later.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Nobody's word is good anymore. You cannot trust anyone including representatives of businesses.

This is why I like Visions. If they approve a price beat online, they give you a code which drops your price right away.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
neverhaveiever wrote: that is how they do it for online orders
Ok then. TIL. Thanks
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I had a similar issue with BB recently when I priced matched a BT keyboard. I was told on the phone that the price match was approved and then placed the order online and gave the rep the order number. The invoice showed the discount amount pre tax and was told the credit would be applied to my credit card within a few days. That never happened as I checked my statement online and the charge was never posted the the card issuer also confirmed this. I called in several times to find out and here is what happened and what was told me by the CSR:

call 1 - oh yes sir, the discount is approved and it should be there within 3 to 5 business days
call 2 (6 days later) - oh yes sir, the discount is approved and it should be by now. please wait a few more days
call 3 (4 days later) - hmm.. thats weird.. it looks like the discount was not approved! We will approve it. call back in 4 days.
call 4 (5 days later) - it is approved and the issue is escalated - please wait a few days and we will apply it to the card
call 5 (5 days later) - it still needs to be approved. WTF!

All this BS to save $20 on a keyboard. I ended up just returning the bloody thing and even the store credit took 5 business days to appear on my card. I ended up getting a better keyboard during Amazon Prime day from another retailer for 1/2 the price and no BS.

F Best Buy and this BS policies.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
starchoice wrote: Nobody's word is good anymore. You cannot trust anyone including representatives of businesses.

This is why I like Visions. If they approve a price beat online, they give you a code which drops your price right away.
+1 for visions. I have bought many items over the years with no issues. Great retailer!
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2319 posts
1192 upvotes
BC
Not at all surprising, worst buy is the worst company to do business with and will very rarely ever actually do a price match. The way it's worded, its almost impossible to meet the criteria. I have never had a price match approved, even on small stuff. I won't shop there again.