Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 18, 2006
271 posts
3 upvotes

Best Buy Refund for Non-Delivery Item Taking Forever

Hello,

Let me know if BB is being unreasonable or not.

Here's the timeline

May 11- Purchased $350 worth at BestBuy.ca and paid by VISA

May 14- Best Buy showed that they shipped the item out this day via Canada Post with tracking #.

May 18- Supposed Delivery Date. (No Delivery)

May 22- Still no delivery. Called Canada Post. They told me to call BB as they are insured. Called BB. Told me to wait 7 business days after the supposed delivery date (May 18) before they can file an investigation for lost item.

May 29- Still no delivery. Called BB to file an investigation. They told me it will take another 10-12 business days for the investigation. Money cannot be refunded until after the investigation is over.

Sometime between last week of may and first week of June. I paid my VISA card with the BB purchase on it.

May 13- Still nothing happened. Called BB. They said investigation is not over (even tho it's been more than 10 business days. Told me to call back on May 15.

May 13 evening- Received a voicemail from BB saying that the investigation was over and told me to keep an eye out on my VISA account for a credit over the next week.

May 23- Paid my June VISA statement (- the $350 something that BB owed me because I expected this to be credited back soon).

May 25- Checked VISA, nothing. Called BB. They claimed that the investigation was never over, and that it was filed on June 1 (lie). They claimed that they don't know why I kept on saying the investigation was over. They said that the phone call only said that the money will show up on my JULY VISA statement (LIE). I told them I can call VISA everyday to see if they credited back my money. They said that won't work and that it will ONLY show up on my JULY VISA PAPER STATEMENT (bullcrap).

Now, according to the last BB rep I talked to. I will only see the credit on my July VISA paper statement, which I won't be getting until end of July.

So this means that they took my money since May 11 and have been holding on to it without any product delivery and it looks like they will be keeping that money until end of July.

That is more than 2 months!!! They kept on saying it's company policy blah blah blah, but I don't buy it. Is there anything on the Sale of Goods Act, or anything I can say to make them pay me back earlier? Also, am I entitled to interests that I lost and interest from VISA that I have to pay? I use ING Direct, and now they have a promotion for 4.25%. That's like what? $3 for 2 months? I know it's not much and I shouldn't calculate it using 4.25%. But I feel like I deserve something better than this. They better credit back the shipping (or lack there of) fee too.

I'm just very frustrated about this. Especially since the item I purchased was for my brother's birthday a month ago. They also lost a customer permanently (not like they care anyways).

Any advice on what I can do? Are they allowed to hold my money for this long? Or is 2 month not a big deal and that I am over reacting.

Thanks a bunch
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
3994 posts
670 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
watodo wrote:
Jun 25th, 2007 9:01 pm
May 13 evening- Received a voicemail from BB saying that the investigation was over and told me to keep an eye out on my VISA account for a credit over the next week.
I hope you didn't delete that. You can play it back in their face the next time you call.

Does tracking show the item as delivered, or at what stage is it? I know how usually it's their word against yours, but now you have voicemail (proof of what they said), and tracking (proof of shipping) that they cannot find your item. They have your money, they won't issue a refund, and it looks like they're delaying the decision to return your money. I say do a charge back through your credit card and let VISA decide.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1167 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Call Visa, let them know the situation they will most likely do the chargeback.
OVERCLOCK OR DIE!!!!!!!!
Aug 13, 2006
441 posts
4 upvotes
you can call them and say you will file a charge back through visa if they do not refund ASAP
[OP]
Nov 18, 2006
271 posts
3 upvotes
so looks like it's common for them to take their time huh..

as for the chargeback? Can I still claim that even though I already paid my visa bill?

And as for the tracking, it still says that it is at the designation city's sortation plant. So I am assuming someone stole it or something..

sigh...
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38966 posts
1261 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Let VISA know right away.

If I were you, I would've told them as soon as the May statement. By the time you received that, you already knew they were a little hesitant in giving you the refund, so I would've told VISA here. VISA would've given you the refund instead - that's the beauty of credit cards.
**BRAND NEW** BEAUTYREST Black Memory Foam Pillow - $55ea or $100/pair <<PRICE DROP>>
**Reg $200 each!**

Silver Coins | BeautyRest Black Memory Foam Pillow
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3589 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
What is it about Best Buy and Futureshop that seems to attract the spineless guys who'll sit and wait weeks for something to get done? This guy has waited over a month already, and in that other thread, JimmyHo has waited over 6 months for some action.

If they said that estimated delivery day was May 18, then I would have given then until May 25 to deliver the item. If it wasn't delivered within one week of the estimated delivery date, I would have commenced chargeback procedures with VISA immediately.

If I were you, I'd really push for that $3 in compensation...and then use that money to buy a spine. :lol:
[OP]
Nov 18, 2006
271 posts
3 upvotes
thank you everyone for the suggestions!!

I just called VISA and did a charge back. They will be putting $350 in suspense (can someone care tell me what that means?...like I just don't incurr interest and doens't count towards my credit limit....but it doesn't mean that money is mine yet right?)...but the claim will take another 40days :(

oh well...at least I don't have to deal with BB again...I'll let VISA deal with them

now I know you can do charge back on stuff you didn't receive (I always thought it's for fraud...). Learning something new everyday :)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38966 posts
1261 upvotes
Richmond Hill
watodo wrote:
Jun 26th, 2007 3:26 pm

I just called VISA and did a charge back. They will be putting $350 in suspense (can someone care tell me what that means?...like I just don't incurr interest and doens't count towards my credit limit....but it doesn't mean that money is mine yet right?)...but the claim will take another 40days :(

oh well...at least I don't have to deal with BB again...I'll let VISA deal with them

now I know you can do charge back on stuff you didn't receive (I always thought it's for fraud...). Learning something new everyday :)
I guess it's a limitation so that they know you're not scamming Best Buy.

Yea, better to let Visa deal with it. They've got pros working for them.
**BRAND NEW** BEAUTYREST Black Memory Foam Pillow - $55ea or $100/pair <<PRICE DROP>>
**Reg $200 each!**

Silver Coins | BeautyRest Black Memory Foam Pillow
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jun 27, 2004
849 posts
34 upvotes
Kitchener
watodo wrote:

I've done 2 charge backs in the last few years, both for products that were listed as "in stock" then never shipped (because the merchant didn't actually have the product). I've also had charges reversed for a fraudulent airline ticket; in each case I received the money back on my card within 3 weeks or so. As I was speaking with various reps and faxing & emailing documents (proof of purchase, correspondence) to them I asked about the process from their end. Basically it works like this:

1) Customer requests chargeback
2) VISA contacts merchant to verify customer's story
3) Merchant has "X" days (10 I think???) to confirm/deny/explain

If the merchant doesn't respond I believe this is treated the same as accepting the customer's story. The VISA rep can come back to you for additional info (never happened to me) but generally you'll just receive documentation about what happened in the mail.

As an aside, there is actually a law in the US (not Canada) that allows a merchant to sell an item online without actually having the item in their possesion - they have 30 days to come up with the goods and get the shipment off (not delivered) so it could actually be close to 2 months before you saw a "legit" purchase... In Canada there is no such law - a merchant can technically stall forever claiming that they will be getting a shipment - this happened with one of my purchases, and having waited 2 months, the merchant claimed they would return my money -15% restocking fee (for an item they didn't have). I elected to go with a chargeback!

Best of luck,

Brendon
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
crazdefool wrote:
Jun 25th, 2007 10:27 pm
Call Visa, let them know the situation they will most likely do the chargeback.
I hope you also called Visa to file for non delivery.

I had the same thing happen to me with Future shop and I had to wait about 1 month at least to get my credit.
It was for a free after rebate item I wanted, it was for a USB key and then the salesperson tells me I can order the item again.....without realizing the free rebate was only for 1 week (dumass,lol).

But I did call Visa and told them my item was not received and what happened and I eventually did get my credit.

I would also send something in writing or by fax to Future shop as stores seem to take more action when something is written.
I probably have a log with all the store and government faxes I have ever sent with my computer and print out the important ones every week or 2...
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
watodo wrote:

You can also do a chargeback if you are charged the wrong ammount for an item and the store will not refund your money.
I bought a camera at Shoppers and had to exchange it for another model (did this the same day), the store somehow charged me the wrong tax and would not refund me the difference.
I had proof of my purchases as they were all done on my Visa.
So I had to call Visa and do a chargeback as Shoppers drug mart was refusing to give me money they owed me.
Visa was surprized to hear about this :lol:

Now I only use my Visa card to buy stuff at Shoppers as I do not trust them at all. Esp at the location I was at.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|