Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Refurbished HP Elitebook 840 G2 14" $399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 7:37 pm
May 12, 2012
695 posts
804 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

[Best Buy] Refurbished HP Elitebook 840 G2 14" $399.99

For those of you who aren't power users, this isn't too bad of a deal. The older Broadwell cpu is still quite capable for checking email, surfing the web as well as some multitasking. In the past, these units had the option of coming with a 1 x 8GB stick of RAM. This meant you would have one DIMM slot available to bump it to 16GB of RAM. In addition, they also came with an empty m.2 SATA connector. Lastly, there was always the option for a second battery. The back/bottom is easily removable, and the aforementioned are quite accessible. It also comes with Windows 10 Pro installed. It is sold by the Best Buy for Business who, although not Best Buy itself, is affiliated with the company. The unit comes with a 1 year parts and labor warranty.

- Intel Core i5-5200U
- 8GB of RAM
- 240GB Solid State Drive
- Integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500
- 1600 x 900 Native Resolution
- 3 x USB 2.0, 1xUSB 3.0, DisplayPort, VGA
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
- 1 Year Warranty
Last edited by TomRFD on Dec 14th, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1565 posts
1530 upvotes
Used, 3-year old model, you could end up with a nearly worn-out notebook. The price is pretty high for a refund with those specs, and I don't like this model, there are better options (I bought one for a similar price 2 years ago, this is more than it's worth).
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5185 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Definitely a nice laptop. It is not too heavy, it is pretty capable for the average user. Respectable battery life (at least when new) [no mention if it is the 50WHr or 60WHr battery included]. I had one for the past 3 or 4 years at the office, and this past week, they just upgraded me to the G5 version with a core-i7 and 4k screen this time (overkill for my needs at the office - and need 200% magnification just to see anything on that screen) :)

Even at 8GB, it is plenty for most users. But that fact that is refurbished however, and the configuration is not mentioned, nothing guarantees that it is on 1x8GB stick in the laptop. You may get one that has a 2x4GB. There were 4 factory configuration available on the G2 (1x4GB, 2x4GB, 1x8GB and 2x8GB).

Many will complain about the fact that it is not an HD screen, but it is still decent. With the ultraslim Dock port replicator, you can have up to 3 active displays including the laptop screen. At the office, I have it in an HP Dock, and connected to 2x24" HP FHD screens with the laptop on one side for a total of 3 screens.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5185 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Flunk wrote: Used, 3-year old model, you could end up with a nearly worn-out notebook. The price is pretty high for a refund with those specs, and I don't like this model, there are better options (I bought one for a similar price 2 years ago, this is more than it's worth).
If they do actually offer the 1 yr warranty they claim, they it is not bad. Price is about right. You are not going to find an HP Elitebook for much lower. The Elitebook G1 is going for about $300, and that is typically with no warranty. Or you can get a Probook if you want for a little less. Many second hand resellers, sell the units with OS license, but typically with no OS installed. Not a problem for many of us, but huge issue for others.

But bottom line is, that not all refurbs and refurbishers are the same. This says Certified Refurb, so I'd hope that is is on the higher end, and they have filtered out the beat up lease returns.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16698 posts
12474 upvotes
Markham
For refurbished laptop in general, what’s their battery health look like? Thanks
Nov 30, 2013
956 posts
1318 upvotes
Not bad. Good for creating a hackintosh. This model is highly compatible with OSX.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1076 posts
1290 upvotes
NB
I would stay away from HP notebooks with TN displays: viewing angles are plain atrocious. May be ok only if it was free.

IPS all the way.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Nov 8, 2007
666 posts
387 upvotes
Even worse this model was prone to battery bubbling so buy at own risk.
May 12, 2012
695 posts
804 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Flunk wrote: Used, 3-year old model, you could end up with a nearly worn-out notebook. The price is pretty high for a refund with those specs, and I don't like this model, there are better options (I bought one for a similar price 2 years ago, this is more than it's worth).
States it is certified refurbished and grade A condition. Very likely you'll get a good quality model. And it comes with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor, which would be backed by Best Buy for Business. This would also include the battery if it has degraded too much.
Jul 4, 2013
252 posts
165 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this a good deal ? Looking to buy a laptop for less than $500 within this month. Should I wait for the boxing day ?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2896 posts
1578 upvotes
Real talk, I bought one of these brand new from HP ~3 years ago for ~$600 all in. Personally think its not worth $400 today.
Jan 17, 2019
1 posts
Would it still be good for working on access and excel ? Just minor accounting work for school. Other than the old cpu, the specs looked allright to me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)