Shopping Discussion

Best Buy return, Canada Post : item stuck at local delivery facility

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2012 6:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau

Best Buy return, Canada Post : item stuck at local delivery facility

Hello
I have a question. I recently returned a defective tablet to Best Buy. They gave me a pre-paid shipping label, and I sent the package back and have been tracking it. The track status shows
Track Status

Product Type: Expedited Parcels
Expected Delivery : 2012/03/23
Updated Delivery : 2012/03/26
Delivery date changed : Item was received by Canada Post after cut-off time.
Date Time Location Description Retail Location Signatory Name
2012/03/26 06:53 BRAMPTON Item processed at local delivery facility

I opened a ticket, as Canada Post website recommends it, because we are past delivery date.
Even if I'm not overly worried yet, I still wonder what would my options be if the package was "mysteriously" not delivered. For this case or to educate myself for future times.

No, I did not buy additional insurance, never thought I would need some.

Item value was 340$... Do I risk losing my money? It was bought using the Aspire Travel World M/C... Purchase insurance for lost/stolen items applies to Internet orders only after having been delivered and accepted by me... It does not say what happens if I ship it back....

Thanks for your input
12 replies
Banned
User avatar
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
202 upvotes
"Item received after cut off time" on the 23rd, which means it probably didn't get shipped to the sortation plant until at the earliest Saturday, and if that's the case not processed until Monday. Realistically it was probably shipped back to Canada Post on the Monday, processed yesterday or today, and on the way the next day. Wouldn't worry about it too much.
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Member
Dec 13, 2010
204 posts
24 upvotes
I do not understand why would you assume the entire risk of shipping the 340$ tablet via Canada Post where you can simply return it in person at your local BB store.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2004
7412 posts
860 upvotes
Mississauga
If they sent you a prepaid label, how would you propose on getting insurance? The cost and coverage is up to Best Buy if they provided the label. No problem for you, just do your ticket and keep BB in the loop.
Come chat live, #redflagdeals on EFNet!
My Heatware | RFD Feedback |
Check out my Deals on RFD! | Email me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau
chedo009 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 5:49 am
I do not understand why would you assume the entire risk of shipping the 340$ tablet via Canada Post where you can simply return it in person at your local BB store.

Because not everybody lives in the GTA, GVR or MTL area buddy. I would have to do 3½ hrs of drive to go to the nearest Best Buy. Yes, big news, not everybody lives in a city!!! ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau
Avenger wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 10:56 am
If they sent you a prepaid label, how would you propose on getting insurance? The cost and coverage is up to Best Buy if they provided the label. No problem for you, just do your ticket and keep BB in the loop.

That's what I think too. But here's a line from their email :
2. Affix the return label* securely to the outside of your package and drop the item off at your local Post Office. We will pay for the return ground shipping only (but not additional insurance).

Which I wonder will leave me on the hook...

What's Canada post policy? If it is lost, I get basic 100$ and that's it?

EDIT : still no news as of 28 PM... Wonder if it got delivered but not scanned.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
ck01 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 11:17 am
That's what I think too. But here's a line from their email :
2. Affix the return label* securely to the outside of your package and drop the item off at your local Post Office. We will pay for the return ground shipping only (but not additional insurance).

Which I wonder will leave me on the hook...

What's Canada post policy? If it is lost, I get basic 100$ and that's it?

EDIT : still no news as of 28 PM... Wonder if it got delivered but not scanned.
BB probably receives dozens if not hundreds of returns every day, delivered in rolling bin-carts off the back of a large truck onto the BB loading dock. It would be time-consuming for the CPC driver to pull every parcel out of those carts to individually scan them as "delivered." Since BB is paying for that return shipping it's probably within their discretion to tell CPC that a delivery scan won't be required.

Still, I have to agree it's unsettling for you and every other consumer who wonders if he/she is actually going to get that refund or if BB will simply claim they never received the return!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau
Wingding wrote:
Mar 29th, 2012 2:29 pm
BB probably receives dozens if not hundreds of returns every day, delivered in rolling bin-carts off the back of a large truck onto the BB loading dock. It would be time-consuming for the CPC driver to pull every parcel out of those carts to individually scan them as "delivered." Since BB is paying for that return shipping it's probably within their discretion to tell CPC that a delivery scan won't be required.

Still, I have to agree it's unsettling for you and every other consumer who wonders if he/she is actually going to get that refund or if BB will simply claim they never received the return!

That would make sense. Hope that is the case. I will let everyone posted.

I still wonder if I should have bought insurance or not. I won't knot what to do next time...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
9964 posts
1835 upvotes
Oakville
ck01 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2012 11:15 am
Because not everybody lives in the GTA, GVR or MTL area buddy. I would have to do 3½ hrs of drive to go to the nearest Best Buy. Yes, big news, not everybody lives in a city!!! ;)

You have your location listed at Quebec City. What's he supposed to think?
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 1:09 am
You have your location listed at Quebec City. What's he supposed to think?

Good point. :facepalm:
However, weird thing, I had changed the location. Maybe I did not save it properly.

chedo009, accept my apologies. ;)


Meanwhile, still no news of my package damnit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau
Well, here's an update...
BestBuy sure can't communicate properly. I got contradictory info, generic answers.. A lot of stuff, never really telling me directly I would not be held responsible. I was not pissed about the fact I was waiting for my money (I wasn't in a hurry), but I'm disappointed in their communication.

1. I initiated on 26 march a inquiry with canada post. 1 week later, Canada Post called back, telling my spouse it was BB's responsibility to do that.
2. I had already some email and voice exchange with BB ,telling them to start looking for the package.
3. During the whole duration, which came to a conclusion today, even if I asked for information, I never received any about what they were up to (were they looking for the package, have they received it, did they open an inquiry with Canada Post). I was totally left out of the loop, not knowing what was going on.
4. Only reassuring part was that I got more or less confirmed the fact that I would be reimbursed no matter what their "inquiry" would be... And that I did not need to buy insurance. But they did not want to write it to me in an email...
5. Anyway, I stayed polite and cooperative all the way, especially after the info I got (point 4), but I did write an email saying I was reallly really disappointed to not know at all what they were doing (no ETA, nothing).
6. Meanwhile, I asked info to my credit card company about chargeback.. They would initiate only if I could provide in writing the information of point 4... Which I could not get. But I felt somewhat confident it would not get there.

Finally, out of nowhere, earlier than expected, I got an email confirming I would get credited for the full amount, with no explanation. Don't know if they found the package or not...

Anyway I'm happy, but they never explained to me why they state in their initial return email that they *do not pay for additional insurance* .,,
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
11444 posts
788 upvotes
Mississauga
I once had an HP laptop sent back for repair which never got scanned at their warehouse. After 2 months of constant follow up and them refusing to acknowledge lost shipment, I finally connected with someone at Ups who proved that item was received/scanned by their warehouse.

At the end, HP sent me a new replacement, albeit one inch bigger 15 incher.

Never again
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
1101 posts
218 upvotes
Gatineau
What I know I will do for every return is to get info prior to shipment regarding insurance, from the store. Also, for example, I just returned a pair of glasses to Clearly Contacts. Just like with Amazon, this type of return does not provide tracking or even a receipt. I had a "home made" receipt done by the nice lady at Canada Post, so I have a proof they were in Canada Post's hand.

Every time the value will be above 100$, I will get a confirmation email from the store regarding what happens if lost.

Never again, as you say!
× < >

Top