• Dec 21st, 2011 1:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 29, 2006
380 posts
23 upvotes

Best Buy return policy

I bought a TV 2 weeks ago and am really not happy with the quality of it. I still have the box and styrofoam boxes for the TV, but not the original wrapping or stickers on it. Am I able to return it or will I be charged a restocking fee? Also, will I just get store credit or full refund?
13 replies
[OP]
Nov 29, 2006
380 posts
23 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 11:31 pm
Bestbuy.ca

Why waste your time posting the website? You're not clever nor funny.

"All products (both defective and non-defective) must be returned in their original purchase condition, with the original packing material, blank warranty cards, manuals and any other item or accessory provided by the manufacturer. IMPORTANT: In the event that a returned order has items missing, the order may be refused, or the value of the missing materials may be deducted from the total credit amount."

So, as I mentioned, the stickers and packaging is missing. Do they charge 10%? 20%? Can you fight to just have them return it? Full refund or store credit?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1281 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
Converged wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 11:40 pm
Why waste your time posting the website? You're not clever nor funny.

"All products (both defective and non-defective) must be returned in their original purchase condition, with the original packing material, blank warranty cards, manuals and any other item or accessory provided by the manufacturer. IMPORTANT: In the event that a returned order has items missing, the order may be refused, or the value of the missing materials may be deducted from the total credit amount."

So, as I mentioned, the stickers and packaging is missing. Do they charge 10%? 20%? Can you fight to just have them return it? Full refund or store credit?

Providing your description of the condition of your product is correct, you will most likely receive a full refund back to your original method of payment. Just ensure everything are packed properly and neatly. It's not the first time Best Buy took a TV back from customers.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2006
380 posts
23 upvotes
bst wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 11:44 pm
Providing your description of the condition of your product is correct, you will most likely receive a full refund back to your original method of payment. Just ensure everything are packed properly and neatly. It's not the first time Best Buy took a TV back from customers.

Thanks for your helpful reply :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5154 posts
1209 upvotes
Kanata
They'll offer you full refund, for now they have no restocking fee. Though I think it's 2 weeks return period for TVs? Not sure, check up on that.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Banned
Dec 14, 2011
15 posts
TORONTO
I believe they will prefer offering you a new one or fixing it , instead of refund .
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1224 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
TV's are 30 days. I returned a tv recently without any hassle there - though I did have all original packaging (I never throw that stuff out until after refund window, just in case). I don't think they'd make a big deal about the wrapping.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16157 posts
3257 upvotes
Toronto
I have a similar question so I won't start a new thread

Purchased a camera this week. I've already changed my mind and I want to purchase a different camera instead. Can I actually open the box of this camera, use it for a bit and return it (cameras - 14 day return policy)?
The site says, "All products (both defective and non-defective) must be returned in their original purchase condition, with the original packing material, blank warranty cards, manuals and any other item or accessory provided by the manufacturer. IMPORTANT: In the event that a returned order has items missing, the order may be refused, or the value of the missing materials may be deducted from the total credit amount."

I'm getting hung up on "Original Purchase Condition", since opening it is not part of the original condition. I'm not one to return items to BestBuy, so even though it's obvious, can I just confirm that I can actually OPEN, USE and RETURN this camera?
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16157 posts
3257 upvotes
Toronto
I just called Best Buy Customer Service.
In plain words, yes, you can open and use the item and as long as all the items are there (in my case), you can return it.

Ok good, I feel much better. I hope this is the general consensus around here :)
RedFlagDeals addict
Apr 10, 2008
23 posts
3 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 21st, 2011 1:13 pm
I have a similar question so I won't start a new thread
unt."

I'm getting hung up on "Original Purchase Condition", since opening it is not part of the original condition. I'm not one to return items to BestBuy, so even though it's obvious, can I just confirm that I can actually OPEN, USE and RETURN this camera?

Yes they will accept the return, the only exception is software/games which they will not accept. As long as the product is undamaged you should be fine.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16157 posts
3257 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome, thanks for the good news :D
I hope the OP returned his TV without any issues.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 21st, 2011 1:13 pm
Purchased a camera this week. I've already changed my mind and I want to purchase a different camera instead. Can I actually open the box of this camera, use it for a bit and return it (cameras - 14 day return policy)?
So, in other words, you want a free rental of the camera?

Strictly speaking, yes, you can return the camera within the return timeframe.

Morally speaking though....don't be a dick. You've already decided the camera isn't good enough to be your own and expect to get your money back, yet it's good enough to use because you need some photos? Please. If you use and then return the camera, the retailer loses some of the resale value. It's situations like this that cause companies to become less flexible in their return policies (thereby having a negative impact on shoppers such as yourself in future) or implement restocking fees.

If you want to use a camera to take some 'glamour' shots of yourself for posting on your blog, borrow one from a friend or family member, pay to rent one...or, or simply get the actual camera you've said you want.

"Buying" a camera from a retailer, using it, then returning it is not a legitimate option. Of course, if you did contact the retailer, explained what you intended to do (using the she words you used here) and they still said "sure...go ahead , use and then return the camera", then go nuts...you have the retailer's blessing. However, if you contacted them and said something different or didn't provide as much detail (i.e. failed to mention you haven't yet opened the camera and already plan on returning it) then I stand behind what I have already written.

Merry Christmas.