Shopping Discussion

Best Buy return policy changes in affect starting tomorrow Fri July 19, 2013.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2013 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3208 posts
1741 upvotes
Markham

Best Buy return policy changes in affect starting tomorrow Fri July 19, 2013.

There are a few changes to Best Buy's return policy that starts tomorrow. The main 2 are that headphones and internal computer components are no longer returnable once opened. The return policy is now 30 days unopened or straight exchange to a new one if defective for those items. There were some other changes listed, but those 2 were the only ones that stood out to me.

This changes should apply to Futureshop too, just not 100% sure right now.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/return ... c1075.aspx
(note: Everything starting from Air Conditioners is supposed to be in the 14 days column)
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
cloakster wrote: The main 2 are that headphones and internal computer components are no longer returnable once opened.
They better have a good explanation for that.
What if a client found out a pc component is not compatible after he tried it out at home?
virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
bgallagher wrote: They better have a good explanation for that.
What if a client found out a pc component is not compatible after he tried it out at home?
Then it's his own fault and the store shouldn't subsidize stupidity (or in rare cases honest mistakes).
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
What happened to the personal accountability of the customer? If a sales associate tells the customer that a product is what they need then I can see a problem but if someone just picks something up of the shelf then the onus is on them to know what they need.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
UnCeo wrote: Then it's his own fault and the store shouldn't subsidize stupidity (or in rare cases honest mistakes).
x2.

PC components are a different beast. I could imagine lots of returns by people not having any clue what they are doing. People ought to do their research before messing with PC components.
Jan 5, 2009
573 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No refund, exchange defective only on internal computer parts. Perhaps this was due to return policy abuse?
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Source?? Are we to believe you by just taking your word for it??

Best Buy Canada's website still the same.
Dec 20, 2012
123 posts
11 upvotes
Saint Catharines
If they're smart enough to build a computer then they should be smart enough to know if its compatible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Nowadays, I think anyone who knows how to open up a computer case should know what they are doing. Way back when, I would help friends and family upgrade their computer components. Nowadays, instead of upgrading their internal hard drive, I'll just tell them to buy an external drive and plug it into a free USB port. With almost all motherboards having built-in sound and video sufficient for non-gamers who just do email and watch whatever-Internet-meme-is-current on YouTube, there's really not much left to upgrade. Even upgrading RAM isn't that necessary. When I look at friends' computers when they complain that it's running "slow", it's not the lack of RAM (they have the same amount of RAM and running the same O/S as before), it's all the crapware, Yahoo-bar, Google-bar, whatever-bar, etc that's installed.

Being behind the computer component counter at Best Buy or Futureshop must be a tough gig. If a customer (most of whom know very little about their computers), comes and wants to "increase the computer's memory, because my nephew says it'll make it faster", good luck trying to figure out what kind of RAM chips will work without knowing the motherboard model. I guess that's where they upsell their installation services.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1457 posts
889 upvotes
jm1 wrote: Being behind the computer component counter at Best Buy or Futureshop must be a tough gig. If a customer (most of whom know very little about their computers), comes and wants to "increase the computer's memory, because my nephew says it'll make it faster", good luck trying to figure out what kind of RAM chips will work without knowing the motherboard model. I guess that's where they upsell their installation services.
Seems easy enough, ask how old their computer is and if they know what the processor/motherboard is.

Unless there computer is something like 5+ years old they would probably use ddr3. I actually hope BB/FS isn't selling ddr2 anymore so if they don't sell that it makes it even easier (just not for the consumer since they wouldn't know).
Aug 18, 2006
76 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Headphones and computer components are both high fraudulent return items, they're probably trying to curb their losses on illegitimate returns.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)