• Nov 13th, 2018 11:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2608 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Ring Alarm Wireless Security System [$243] - PRE-ORDER

A year after the Ring Alarm Wireless Security Kit was announced, the security system now arrives in Canada. I haven't seen any news on the monitoring like they have in the States but the price seems decent for the two kits available. They also have the add-ons for extra sensors.

EDIT: The description says with Ring Protect it does have 24/7 professional monitoring.

Save 10% when you pre-order with code: SHPREORDER

Bigger Kit:
Ring Alarm Starter Wireless Security Kit [$399]:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ri ... 18841.aspx

See original Ring Alarm discussion here from exactly one year ago: ring-launches-own-security-system-new-products-2131098/

Thanks to @Linktothepast for sharing the deal in the above thread.
148 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4056 posts
553 upvotes
Edmonton
Overview
Make sure your living space is safe and sound, even when you're not there, with the Ring Alarm wireless security kit. Use your smartphone and tablet from any location to monitor your property or control the system. It installs quickly and easily without additional tools or professional help and can be expanded to customize protection for any home.
More Information
Monitor your property from your iOS or Android phone and tablet with this home security kit
Receive instant alerts on your device when your home's doors or windows open, as well as when motion is detected
Includes 1 base station, keypad control panel, motion detector, contact sensor, and range extender
Wireless starter system uses Z-Wave connectivity with a range of 250m
Control your entire alarm system, Ring video doorbells, and security cameras from anywhere using the free Ring app
Quick and simple installation doesn't require tools or professional assistance
Customize and expand the system to fit any house or apartment
Ring Protect Plus (sold separately) offers optional 24/7 professional monitoring with cellular backup, unlimited video recording of all Ring doorbells and cameras, as well as extended warranties, exclusive discounts, and more
With 24-hour backup battery power, the system continues to function even when the power goes out at home
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Apr 2, 2007
253 posts
69 upvotes
Sucks that Ring products don’t have HomeKit, Google Home, etc support. By buying their alarm system, you are locked into using their own sensors.

And you can’t use these Ring sensors with other smart home devices. For example, you can’t use the Ring alarm motion sensor to turn on Hue lightbulbs. I want an alarm system that can talk to my other devices.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11466 posts
3604 upvotes
Toronto, ON
incidents wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 12:57 am
Sucks that Ring products don’t have HomeKit, Google Home, etc support. By buying their alarm system, you are locked into using their own sensors.
I thought at one point they were planning to support Homekit. I guess when Amazon bought them, that pretty much killed that plan...?
Apr 2, 2007
253 posts
69 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:12 am
I thought at one point they were planning to support Homekit. I guess when Amazon bought them, that pretty much killed that plan...?
They’ve been saying it’s coming for 3 years. Someone made a Twitter to track their failure to release the promised addition.

https://twitter.com/RingHomeKit
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
1895 posts
722 upvotes
Markham
it is kinda ridiculous that the base kit only has 1 sensor.. maybe for a condo or something...
most house has two doors and windows etc... basically forcing you to buy 2 extra 2pack sensors($59 for 2 pack)
Last edited by andyyuen on Oct 3rd, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 17, 2013
998 posts
427 upvotes
CALGARY
Can we integrate these with smart things?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23305 posts
9736 upvotes
Ottawa
cec4111 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:49 am
Can we integrate these with smart things?
Should be, as it has the z-wave protocol.
Dec 10, 2006
48 posts
3 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks. I think I will pick one up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2608 posts
1299 upvotes
Toronto
incidents wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 12:57 am

And you can’t use these Ring sensors with other smart home devices. For example, you can’t use the Ring alarm motion sensor to turn on Hue lightbulbs. I want an alarm system that can talk to my other devices.
I will double check this, I believe the sensors can act like motion detectors.

I have the Ring Pro and I added it to Wink. I set up a Wink Robot command that if motion is detected or the doorbell is rung after sunset, my porch lights will turn on.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40746 posts
2133 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 6:29 am
Should be, as it has the z-wave protocol.
Based on previous discussions, third party sensors will pair but it won’t trigger the alarm, which renders it useless. This is designed because they can only “trust their own products” and don’t want false alarms from third party sensors.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23305 posts
9736 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:17 am
Based on previous discussions, third party sensors will pair but it won’t trigger the alarm, which renders it useless. This is designed because they can only “trust their own products” and don’t want false alarms from third party sensors.
We can try using webCoRE to setup pistons, where the sensor triggers a ring doorbell or camera that in turns triggers the alarm?
Feb 6, 2007
268 posts
68 upvotes
If you’ve waited this long might be worth waiting a bit longer to see if costco here will offer it. Or if you’re making a trip to the states. They have a good starter bundle that often goes on sale (in the us). Now that it’s finally coming here maybe we’ll get something similar.

Seen this for 199us earlier this summer
https://www.costco.com/Ring-Alarm-Wirel ... a8iG%2BV1w
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3045 posts
2065 upvotes
When Amazon bought Ring, primarily because of the development of this integrated security system, it looked like they were going to advance rapidly in capability and make a major impact. But they've done almost nothing in a year, and Google + Nest have left them in the dust. With Amazon's slow and belated rollout of features in Canada long after they arrive in the U.S., it doesn't seem like a good idea to make a major investment in a Ring security system at the moment.
Jan 31, 2009
214 posts
108 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've used their doorbell for about a year. Replaced once. I have gigabit internet with asus tri-band router and the door bell still has connection issues. Primarily, when the doorbell is pressed--the app takes forever to open (iphone X) as its stuck on "connecting". Often, its value is reduced to a video archive of passing cars and partial door approaches (cut off after 30 seconds). RING asked me if i had a brick, stone or EIFS cladded house and I said no, its made of straw. Apparently any hard surface challenges the Ring video door bell.

I get it, we're talking about the alarm system. However, if their doorbell has these much fun pissing me off, I wouldn't care to have RING look after the security of my home. I would scour the internet for all reviews before placing faith in this system.

However, this is a deal considering the new release in Canada and the OP gets a thumbs up.