• Apr 18th, 2019 8:47 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
vader_slri wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:43 pm
To hedge my chances, is it better to order online and have it shipped or buy it in store?
Several RFD members had success ordering it online.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
Daijoubu wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:31 pm
Ring Pro may be hardwired but it still have a small battery built-in, once it dies, it will cease to function.

FYI replacement may be needed in the future.
Still works if you bypass the indoor mechanical chime.
Dec 20, 2018
573 posts
469 upvotes
I'll get the nest hello deal

I have the ring pro and it's not very good in terms of motion detection or delay when someone rings doorbell. Video quality is very poor compared to what I've seen from nest

Wifi even with ring chime pro seems to be lackluster

If I could do it again, would not get ringpro
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
2879 posts
38 upvotes
if anyone interested, i have the ring pro and alexa that i can do $230. Both brand new
:eek:
[Location]Adelaide/Sherbourne
[Email]andy.chau@me.com
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2779 posts
1042 upvotes
GTA
I have a Ring Pro and several other cameras; all have been flawless in their operation.

Those having difficulty would seem to have wifi coverage issues moreso than issues with the Ring devices themselves.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1374 posts
46 upvotes
N8Magic wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 7:53 am
I have a Ring Pro and several other cameras; all have been flawless in their operation.

Those having difficulty would seem to have wifi coverage issues moreso than issues with the Ring devices themselves.
Same here!
Apr 21, 2012
76 posts
96 upvotes
Kitchener
For those who don't have a hardwired doorbell the ring 2 is a battery powered solution that's also on sale. Save $70 and free alexa. A coworker has one and said good things.

ring 2
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8230 posts
536 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 7:14 am
I'll get the nest hello deal

I have the ring pro and it's not very good in terms of motion detection or delay when someone rings doorbell. Video quality is very poor compared to what I've seen from nest

Wifi even with ring chime pro seems to be lackluster

If I could do it again, would not get ringpro
I will disagree. I had a pro then it died on me, the wifi stopped working. Then bought the nest and what I found about the nest was it was slow to notify compared to the ring. The nest has a lot going for it, like better resolution. But if it's late to notify me, what's really the point, as I've practically miss everyone who rings my doorbell. So I got the ring alarm and switched back to the pro, and not have to pay for any of my recordings with ring products
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
Only thing good about the Nest Hello, is facial recognition and 24/7 recording.
I prefer Ring's ecosystem, as it is the most cost effective at USD $100/year for unlimited connected devices.
Nest is actually robbing you with their high price...LOL
Nov 26, 2003
779 posts
98 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
ReaperEXE wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 9:42 am
Can anyone comment how this fares in the winter? I live in Winnipeg and wouldn’t want it to quit in the middle of winter. I’d rather wait until the durability improves.
Never had problem in 3+ year in Quebec with the 1st gen.
Feb 22, 2009
496 posts
156 upvotes
Ottawa
Daijoubu wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:31 pm
Ring Pro may be hardwired but it still have a small battery built-in, once it dies, it will cease to function.

FYI replacement may be needed in the future.
Just to be clear this is true for both this Ring Pro and the competing Nest Hello. So if you want a video doorbell that you don't want to constantly be recharging batteries for, there's currently no getting around this design at the moment. The reason it's required is for when you want your doorbell cam to ring your existing home doorbell chime. The doorbell cam needs to short the 2 transformer wires momentarily to send this signal. While it's shorting the wires, it must rely on the internal battery to continue normal operation (ie. to provide video feed, record, keep wifi up) until the short is released and power from the doorbell transformer is supplied again.

https://nest.com/ca/support/article/Do- ... wer-outlet

"Nest Hello is powered by your household wiring and uses low voltage wires that carry 14 to 30 V AC or a transformer labeled from 16 to 24 V AC. Your doorbell has an internal battery that is powered by your household wires, which other Nest cameras don’t have."
Last edited by stevewk on Apr 16th, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 4, 2009
210 posts
112 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
stevewk wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:16 am
This is the wired Pro so no issues with winter. The regular battery-powered Rings don't fare so well as you'll be constantly recharging them. My Pro's been through 2 Ottawa winters with no issues at all.
although this is wired, the Pro does have a battery inside, mine died after 1.5 years and two winters . i did get a free replacement. it worked fine for winters though.
Feb 22, 2009
496 posts
156 upvotes
Ottawa
sekjai wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 9:43 am
although this is wired, the Pro does have a battery inside, mine died after 1.5 years and two winters . i did get a free replacement. it worked fine for winters though.
See above. Is the warranty not only 1-year or is it 2-years? Just curious if they're willing to replace outside 1-year warranty if the internal battery happens to go.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
stevewk wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 9:49 am
See above. Is the warranty not only 1-year or is it 2-years? Just curious if they're willing to replace outside 1-year warranty if the internal battery happens to go.
Standard 1yr warranty, which doubles to two years if you subscribe to protect plus plan and decide to cancel the plan later.
Also, as long as you're a subscriber to the protect plus plan, all hardware is covered for free replacements for the entire duration of the subscription.