Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Samsung 28" 4K FreeSync Gaming Monitor U28E590D - $449.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2017 11:02 am
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1589 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Samsung 28" 4K FreeSync Gaming Monitor U28E590D - $449.99

looking for monitors and came across this, not sure if warm or hot deal but seems decent price for a 4k monitor.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3275 posts
2144 upvotes
Montréal, QC
very tempting as my 27" monitor starts showing pink lines :/
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
695 posts
958 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
I still think 28" is a tad small for 4K, but apparently Microsoft will be making some improvements to DPI scaling in their upcoming release.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY
Any deals on the 24" ones?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
695 posts
958 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
The BenQ I posted earlier gets rave reviews from just about everywhere and is considerably cheaper.
May 14, 2013
441 posts
517 upvotes
Edmonton
For a TN panel, this is an average price from a reputable brand. Samsung has one of the best monitor RMA policies from my experience. Personally, I'd take a hit on the refresh rate, and get an IPS or VA panel for better colors and viewing angles.
May 11, 2013
95 posts
84 upvotes
Waterloo
SuperDuperDeveloper wrote: The BenQ I posted earlier gets rave reviews from just about everywhere and is considerably cheaper.
And which BenQ would that be? I only see a 23.8" 1080p monitor in your post history, which is obviously going to be quite a bit cheaper than this one.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
695 posts
958 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
Yes you are correct that is the monitor, but like I was trying to get across earlier, the DPI on a 28" would be insanely small, Microsoft is coming out with a fix for Windows 10. And like the other poster stated this is a TN panel priced pretty close to a premium price. On a side note 4K looks awesome in Linux compared to Windows so hopefully there is some vision for them to get it fixed.

When you change the DPI scaling to make text, fonts, webpages, icons things don't look at crisp because it's not in it's native scaling.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
4026 posts
1858 upvotes
I have this monitor from boxing Day. Seems to come down to this price every so often so if you miss out, don't worry too much about it.

It's a great looking monitor. Maybe not as accurate as an IPS but gets the job done. As for Freesync, I can't comment as I have a GTX 1070 (which unfortunately can't take advantage of such a monitor). Of what I read, the Freesync is ok at increasing the refresh rate by around 10-15 Hz...so not too significant.

One thing to consider is the stand for this sucks for a lot of people. My monitor is slightly elevated so I don't have a problem with it but if it's levelled at desk table height, the wt of the monitor can cause it to angle downward a bit (for some, but not all people). I wouldn't right of the off the bat, but consider that you may have to get a separate monitor arm for this screen.

Otherwise, it's a great working screen and good for watching movies. For gaming, it's good but this is coming from a primarily console gamer (I've yet to go down the rabbit hole that is 144 Hz monitors...)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3275 posts
2144 upvotes
Montréal, QC
halcyon wrote: I have this monitor from boxing Day. Seems to come down to this price every so often so if you miss out, don't worry too much about it.

It's a great looking monitor. Maybe not as accurate as an IPS but gets the job done. As for Freesync, I can't comment as I have a GTX 1070 (which unfortunately can't take advantage of such a monitor). Of what I read, the Freesync is ok at increasing the refresh rate by around 10-15 Hz...so not too significant.

One thing to consider is the stand for this sucks for a lot of people. My monitor is slightly elevated so I don't have a problem with it but if it's levelled at desk table height, the wt of the monitor can cause it to angle downward a bit (for some, but not all people). I wouldn't right of the off the bat, but consider that you may have to get a separate monitor arm for this screen.

Otherwise, it's a great working screen and good for watching movies. For gaming, it's good but this is coming from a primarily console gamer (I've yet to go down the rabbit hole that is 144 Hz monitors...)
Do you use the PIP feature? How is it?
Would love to watch TV while working :)
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
4K monitors still do not support HDR (High dynamic range).
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
Source: I have this monitor
Clee wrote: Do you use the PIP feature? How is it?

PIP is not a gimmick for this monitor, it does work fine. It shows a 1080p~ picture at the corner of your screen. Just that making it show up is a little annoying since the control is at the back of the monitor. Also it has no speaker. So I'm not sure how you are going to get your sound. Might need some adapter.

The freesync is fine. It works only up to 60hz, and really at this resolution there are no alternative that does better anyway.

And yes this is not HDR / Freesync 2.

TN wise viewing angle is just okay. Really, 28" is the minimum size for 4k, any smaller you won't see a thing. for monitor, 28" is also the max I would go at TN panel, otherwise viewing angle really get in the way.

One thing about this monitor: The stand is the absolute worst. It wobbles at the slightest vibration, no VESA mount, and no adjustment on the stand whatsoever. Prepare to do your own solution to make it better.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
But Freesync 2...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
4026 posts
1858 upvotes
Clee wrote: Do you use the PIP feature? How is it?
Never bothered with PIP... I have a dual monitor setup so my netflix goes on to the smaller screen as I work usually two or so windows on this monitor.

That being said, the resolution has an intense effect on font. Unless you're using a good scaler, the text can come across as near unreadable because of how small it is. Some programs aren't designed for 4K and as such, they're downgraded in resolution which makes it look a little blurry (especially when compared to the crisp text found in a separate window). An example would be the Steam interface which is a bit blurry when compared to surfing on RFD in another browser.
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
ID01 wrote: Source: I have this monitor

PIP is not a gimmick for this monitor, it does work fine. It shows a 1080p~ picture at the corner of your screen. Just that making it show up is a little annoying since the control is at the back of the monitor. Also it has no speaker. So I'm not sure how you are going to get your sound. Might need some adapter.

The freesync is fine. It works only up to 60hz, and really at this resolution there are no alternative that does better anyway.

And yes this is not HDR / Freesync 2.

TN wise viewing angle is just okay. Really, 28" is the minimum size for 4k, any smaller you won't see a thing. for monitor, 28" is also the max I would go at TN panel, otherwise viewing angle really get in the way.

One thing about this monitor: The stand is the absolute worst. It wobbles at the slightest vibration, no VESA mount, and no adjustment on the stand whatsoever. Prepare to do your own solution to make it better.
You may have the U28D590. This is the U28E590 (Source: I have the E model) which has upgraded HDMI 2.0 4k @60hz and it now has VESA mount. Gaming isn't too bad, as I play Overwatch on it at 1440 @60hz with Freesync on. I find that there still is tearing, but I'm not sure if that's my graphics card or just the 60hz. Regardless, it's pretty damn good. If you're using a Mac, which I am also, you'll have to play around with the colours to get what you want. I had to raise the red quite a bit to match my retina display colour.

For what you're paying, it's fairly good. I was considering the IPS monitor, but at that price point, I couldn't justify it. Especially since I can drag my photo editing work to my Retina display to adjust the colour. I also agree that 28" is the max I'd go on a TN monitor, you start to see darker shades the higher part of the monitor when viewing at a lower angle.
Oct 12, 2013
449 posts
181 upvotes
Surrey
Ill wait for asus new monitors , hdr and 144hz Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face
Nov 30, 2007
822 posts
336 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you're not in a hurry, (I know, no time machine) this monitor went as low as 349.99 during Black Friday/Boxing Day when I was shopping for 4K monitors. I believe that was at Best Buy/Staples, so keep an eye out!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)