Jul 5, 2001
5274 posts
2212 upvotes

[Best Buy] Seagate 32GB 80MB/s MicroSDHC Memory Card - $14.99

20 replies
Apr 20, 2017
65 posts
40 upvotes
Would this be any good for a dash cam (assuming it's compatible)?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3006 posts
1075 upvotes
This is likely rebadged card from another manufacturer. It's also 1 year warranty which is very, very limited. Many are lifetime warranty. Price also isn't great
Dec 20, 2016
40 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver BC
foz240 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:19 pm
Would this be any good for a dash cam (assuming it's compatible)?
I wouldn't recommend it - dash cam use is extraordinarily hard on memory cards.

Don't cheap out on a Dash Cam memory card because a dash cam is mission critical. If it fails, it'll put you in a bad situation and potentially cost you thousands of dollars.

If you absolutely need to use a cheap card, go minimum 64GB. The Samsung Evo Select 64GB are on Amazon.com for $22.99 USD, I have had good luck with them but YMMV. They ship to Canada for an extra $5.00 or so including tax/duty. Do not, under any circumstance, use a Sandisk Ultra or Sandisk Extreme card in a dash cam. They have a historically high failure rate.
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2512 posts
1065 upvotes
Vancouver
Decent price. I wonder who makes this card.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3006 posts
1075 upvotes
By the way, the write speeds are up to 20megs/sec and read speed around 80megs. This is the same speed as my adata 32 gig, which failed at 3 year mark. I think it might be adata that makes this.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10730 posts
836 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
badOne wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:28 pm
Price also isn't great
Prices aren't the same as they were two years ago, when it was $10 for 32GB.
Nov 4, 2016
527 posts
311 upvotes
With 4k video becoming the norm, anything less than 64gb is kind of pointless. They are fine for just photos I guess.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Jun 25, 2012
96 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
drekitech wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:37 pm

Don't cheap out on a Dash Cam memory card because a dash cam is mission critical. If it fails, it'll put you in a bad situation and potentially cost you thousands of dollars.

If you absolutely need to use a cheap card, go minimum 64GB. The Samsung Evo Select 64GB are on Amazon.com for $22.99 USD, I have had good luck with them but YMMV. They ship to Canada for an extra $5.00 or so including tax/duty. Do not, under any circumstance, use a Sandisk Ultra or Sandisk Extreme card in a dash cam. They have a historically high failure rate.
There are now "high endurance" SD cards that are made for video surveillance such as security and dash cams. They are supposedly tuned for constant writes and extreme temps (like the inside of car on a summer day). They are of course, more expensive... eg. the Sandisk 64GB High Endurance is $45 @ Amazon.ca (link).

Other brands I've seen with high endurance cards are Lexar, Silicon Power & Transcend ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5433 posts
1504 upvotes
Cornwall PE
MLC or is it just TLC nand?
Don't see anything specifying either or.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Aug 23, 2011
27 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
drekitech wrote:

If you don't suggest it for dash cams, what about for ip camera ?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22879 posts
3241 upvotes
drekitech wrote:
Agreed but with converse reasoning. It's not so much that cams are "extraordinarily hard" on memory cards, it's more that memory cards are made extraordinarily cheaply/crappily, in general lol. People flocking to 128GB cards that cost like $30 or whatever is the main driving force here. That and not wanting them any larger than a fingernail. Nobody wants to pay the prices for quality NAND/controllers that would be useful in recording scenarios. Somehow though, people still think that buying bargain-basement cards and combining them with recording devices is a good idea :rolleyes:

I'm not all that opposed to lower-end but still "ok" cards like SanDisk Ultras, but if one has to ask, "is this good for my dash cam?" then it probably isn't. I.e. if it's not specifically sold as a video recording card for use in constant-record cameras? It's not good for it. Most "regular" SD cards are basically made where the floor is no limit when it comes to cheapness and low quality lol.

In any event this Seagate card doesn't look like it's anything special at all and it's not anything super cheap either. Looks basically the same tier as a Sandisk Ultra and while these do have their use, they are certainly not for video recording and not where high-speed or rugged reliability is desired.