Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Seagate STX Backup Plus 5TB 2.5" USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive $139.99

Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13898 posts
4100 upvotes
Montreal
DarkStarFTW wrote:
May 25th, 2018 8:26 pm
Yes, it's shuckable. These are the drives inside: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracud ... 01M0AADIX/
I really hate when Amazon combines reviews for a pile of different models with different specs, sizes, speeds, etc., as right at the top there are several "Perfect For PS4", "PS4 Pro Hard Drive Upgrade", etc. reviews (which are for the 2TB model).
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Oct 20, 2012
48 posts
125 upvotes
It is actually really annoying lol. It makes the rating very inaccurate imo.
Mar 10, 2008
454 posts
146 upvotes
Quebec City
lead wrote:
May 25th, 2018 9:13 pm
plug it into an rpi with gigabit usb ethernet turn on smb server in libreelec/osmc kodi and it becomes a nas media player(20Mb/s) that shares the whole library and scrapes to all kodi devices.
This might be a newb question, but are you sure the rpi usb ports provide enough juice to spin up a portable 5tb drive?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1082 posts
244 upvotes
Antarctica
Arky33 wrote:
May 29th, 2018 12:11 pm
This might be a newb question, but are you sure the rpi usb ports provide enough juice to spin up a portable 5tb drive?
You can always take it out and put inside an enclosure with separate power input. Or use a powered usb hub
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1803 posts
405 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote:
May 29th, 2018 12:16 pm
You can always take it out and put inside an enclosure with separate power input. Or use a powered usb hub
Yeah, a powered usb 3.0 hub is a must with these drives, I have an Aukey one that drives 4, 2 TB drives. If you don't, they will randomly drop out.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14709 posts
5875 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
May 29th, 2018 11:53 am
I really hate when Amazon combines reviews for a pile of different models with different specs, sizes, speeds, etc., as right at the top there are several "Perfect For PS4", "PS4 Pro Hard Drive Upgrade", etc. reviews (which are for the 2TB model).
In the reviews section you can filter out only the model you are looking for.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8609 posts
1490 upvotes
Winnipeg
Arky33 wrote:
May 29th, 2018 12:11 pm
it actually is the only device or stb I know of that has an option or config to allocate more than 1.2 amps to usb. So yes you can. Just be sure to use a 2.5 or greater amp psu

"Setting max_usb_current=1 sets the available current over USB to 1.2A, default is 600mA "
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14709 posts
5875 upvotes
My 5tb portable hard drive arrived today. Great service as usual from Staples. So far so good with it. It's thicker than a regular portable drive but it's still extremely portable considering it has a 5tb capacity. I'm moving files to it now. It's getting sustained write speeds of around 140MB/sec. Not bad at all. Once I hook it up to my new router it will be capped at around 100MB/sec anyways. Thanks again OP! This is a really great deal. The two year warranty is nice also. Typically the external drives only come with a one year warranty.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Apr 29, 2018
65 posts
85 upvotes
ON
I'm pretty sure these use shingled recording (SMR). Keep that in mind if you plan on installing applications on or using it for write intensive purposes.
Don't forget to like and subscribe