Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Sennheiser HD 558 99,97$ (Final Clearance)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 11:18 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2615 posts
789 upvotes
rui wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:35 pm
Does it work with Astro A30 amp? I got combo for my nieces but the headphone broken in a few months, is it good for replacement?
Yes if you are taking about the Astro mixamp. Its open soundstage make it great for the virtual surround gaming. Not as good as the full surround setup but good for distinguishing footsteps in FPS.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2615 posts
789 upvotes
mc_molineux wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:55 pm
An outright downgrade? No areas where the 558 is better?
If it is like the previous versions HD555/HD595 they sound be very similar except the 2 form pads in the lower model. People suspect they are exactly the same and Sennheiser put the pad in to make the lower end sound different. The reason for doing this is to sell 2 different models at 2 different prices and cut production cost by using same parts.

They pretty much charged people $100 more to remove the foam pads.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2795 posts
272 upvotes
WL1980 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
If it is like the previous versions HD555/HD595 they sound be very similar except the 2 form pads in the lower model. People suspect they are exactly the same and Sennheiser put the pad in to make the lower end sound different. The reason for doing this is to sell 2 different models at 2 different prices and cut production cost by using same parts.

They pretty much charged people $100 more to remove the foam pads.
Thanks.
Dec 27, 2011
893 posts
382 upvotes
Vancouver
johnnyboyo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:59 pm
I have these and although the sound is decent for the headphones, I honestly get better sound quality out of my apple earbuds.... I now rarely use them unless I'm walking around the house cleaning/plug them into my ps4 controller when my headset dies... and yes, the ps4 bluetooth headset provides better sound than these. When I first realized this I almost regretted purchasing them.. but for 100$... meh... now I never have to look into purchasing another pair of headphones like this, and as someone who has spent several hours researching and being confused by what headphones i should buy, its worth the price alone.

the 'buy them, get it over with and move on with your life' headphones.
You must have the worst ears of all time.
May 28, 2007
195 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
I tested 558 and 598SE side by side. 558 sound more neutral vs 598, yet I chose the latter. I doubt they use the same parts as high frequencies are audibly higher on 598 and you cant get that by moving foam pads in and out.
Yet my recent closed over ear favourite (as you can's use 598 at work) are B&W P3. Great sound for such a small package and fantastic design :)
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
2828 posts
133 upvotes
Sphynx wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:57 pm
I doubt they use the same parts as high frequencies are audibly higher on 598 and you cant get that by moving foam pads in and out.
The material of the grill makes a difference too as it is plastic on the 558 and is metal on the 598
Aug 18, 2005
683 posts
113 upvotes
Lol, I read the thread title as 558.97 and had to check out what headphones could be even more than a pair of BOSEs.

Thanks for reminding me to go to bed OP Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2615 posts
789 upvotes
Sphynx wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:57 pm
I tested 558 and 598SE side by side. 558 sound more neutral vs 598, yet I chose the latter. I doubt they use the same parts as high frequencies are audibly higher on 598 and you cant get that by moving foam pads in and out.
Yet my recent closed over ear favourite (as you can's use 598 at work) are B&W P3. Great sound for such a small package and fantastic design :)

This video explains why the foam pads were put in the lower end models. People in the comment section also have positive results after removing the pads. The grill material will make a difference but it won't be as significant as covering up half of the grill with foam pads to retard the sound. I removed the pads on mine and I prefer the sound without the pads. Too bad I don't have the higher model to compare to but I did notice an improvement after the mod.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2515 posts
279 upvotes
BC
johnnyboyo wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:59 pm
I have these and although the sound is decent for the headphones, I honestly get better sound quality out of my apple earbuds.... I now rarely use them unless I'm walking around the house cleaning/plug them into my ps4 controller when my headset dies... and yes, the ps4 bluetooth headset provides better sound than these. When I first realized this I almost regretted purchasing them.. but for 100$... meh... now I never have to look into purchasing another pair of headphones like this, and as someone who has spent several hours researching and being confused by what headphones i should buy, its worth the price alone.

the 'buy them, get it over with and move on with your life' headphones.
I had a similar experience with Sennheiser HD598's. Honestly, my PlayStation Gold headset was a little bit worst, but not a whole lot.

I have a much more expensive home theater as my reference. I ended up getting a pair of NAD HP50's to get the kind of clarity I was looking for. The Sennheisers are super comfy though.

If you're on a budget these could be good headphones, but don't let the MSRP fool you, there are much better options out there.
Last edited by Ren on May 19th, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1614 posts
747 upvotes
tigrbalm wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:01 pm
Lol, I read the thread title as 558.97 and had to check out what headphones could be even more than a pair of BOSEs.

Thanks for reminding me to go to bed OP Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Bose is only considered 'high-end' in consumer electronics. When it comes to professional grade headphones, you could easily pay $500-1000 for a high-end studio reference headphone and up to $2000+ for top-of-the-line stuff.
Mar 2, 2004
268 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
I use these almost every day and you don't need an amp. The impedence is only 50 ohms.

DanP wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:43 pm
This is a really good deal for these headphones and they get solid reviews. One warning though is alot of reviews recommend a Amp for these. Not supposed to be the best straight from a laptop or cell phone. Only reason I'm going to pass is the need for an amp.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2795 posts
272 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:14 pm
Bose is only considered 'high-end' in consumer electronics. When it comes to professional grade headphones, you could easily pay $500-1000 for a high-end studio reference headphone and up to $2000+ for top-of-the-line stuff.
I think tigrbalm was making an RFD-requisite "Bose is overpriced" joke.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel