Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Sharp 55 inch 4k LED with Roku Smart tv 539.98$

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 10:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
jackass_ca wrote: Also, is this similar to the N6000 or the N7000? THe N6000 is the 2016 one and the BB says it is the 2017 model. I understand that these stores can have exclusive units, but why can't Sharp or Hisense or whoever, cross reference to compare apples and apples?
Most likely its the same as the N6000, look at the frame and stand. But theres no documentation but its well known that Sharp US, Sharp Canada, and Sharp worldside may use different model names.

Sharp's 2017 lineup starts with a P, so the 2017 version of this TV would be the P5000, the P6000 doesn't seem to exist.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -ces-2017/
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
Duder71 wrote: So this TV goes on sale in the states for $179.99 USD at Best Buy on Black Friday, meaning its $230 Canadian. Which is half the price of this sale price.

I bought this TV last year on black friday at the best buy in Port Huron in the states. It was a 50 inch Sharp Roku TV but it wasn't 4k it was 1080p only last year but it cost me the same $230 Canadian. I crossed the boarder at Port Huron got to the best buy 20min before it opened. There was a line up but not a big one. A best buy employee was giving out "tickets" for the TV for the people that were in line. I got one went inside, paid for the TV and went around back and they loaded up the TV in my car and I drove back home crossed the boarder and didnt even have to pay duty on it.

Saved myself about $250 bucks.
Close but only 50" and honestly $250 sometimes, is worth it for me, for warranty, return, and keeping my fingers issues
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1241 posts
452 upvotes
Bought the Walmart one today. Overall happy with it. Says HDR on the box and setting lets you change the HDMI 2.0 to enhanced to support 10bit... I don't really care for HDR so haven't tested.

Sound is ok, not tinny and loud enough. Thought I had a dead pixel but after a few minutes it disappeared.

Walmart one is a different model number than this bestbuy one. I think they are pretty much the same tv, except bestbuy one uses Roku. Walmart one is not.. has random app which some look useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1241 posts
452 upvotes
Bought the Walmart one today. Overall happy with it. Says HDR on the box and setting lets you change the HDMI 2.0 to enhanced to support 10bit... I don't really care for HDR so haven't tested.

Sound is ok, not tinny and loud enough. Thought I had a dead pixel but after a few minutes it disappeared.

Walmart one is a different model number than this bestbuy one. I think they are pretty much the same tv, except bestbuy one uses Roku. Walmart one is not.. has random app which some look useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1241 posts
452 upvotes
YMMV.... but i wasn't charged Enviro fee at walmart store, total came to $607 after taxes.
Jul 10, 2009
99 posts
129 upvotes
Ontario
I was at BB on Monday to look at this exact TV. From 2 feet away I could see that it wasn't a great image, and we left without it. There is no chance this would ever sell at 900.00 or higher. In that price range 899, there is a nice Sony and LG 55 inch 4k TV that blow this out of the water.

But at 540.00, perhaps some will be OK with it since you'd normally watch from further back.

My 2 cents.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Thats why not speaking about it (omitting) serves no real purpose, as the misleading info is out there right in the manufacturer and retailer product pages, instead debunking it should be the way to go, most useful posts in this thread are posts saying why this TV isn't HDR, non of them would have been posted if the OP simply chose "not to mention it".
My post was more referring to horrible advertising practices and lack of oversight. Not this thread title.
jackass_ca wrote: I know that I would have to spend a lot more to get true HDR, I am not deceived. I am curious, if people say stay away from Sharp, but in other threads speak praises about Hisense... In the range we are discussing for a $500 to $600 I am looking for my best value 4K LED, don't really care if it's SMART but why not take it if it's there at a comparable price. Was considering the 55" 4K Haier but then started reading how people said the 55" Hisense for $650 or $699 is a better deal because of better panel and less bleed. WHen people on here are posting about $500 to $600 sale TV's, they are not, myself included, looking for the top of the top, but the best value in that price range, and hence where the confusion starts... then people say get TCL, can't get it here, it's $600 US, so $800 CAN or so...
I am fully aware that these TV's do not do HDR Premium, but from what I have read, isn't more of the importance also on the source, rather than the display, if the display can "fake" it somewhat to the NAKED eye and the average consumer, this is what people on these forums are talking about... The AV forums can get into more detail or higher end stuff I guess.
It can't fake it. Literally all it does is allow the signal to play but it appears in SDR. There's no faking.

Trust me when you see a true HDR display you will see a huge difference. This has nothing to do with savvy AV people. Go into Best Buy and look at all the different TVs. It's immediately obvious and that's why they put on these fancy displays to show it off to sell the more expensive models.

Of you just have $500 and that's what you want to spend, that's fine. We were mostly posting to note that this advertising is misleading and so people know they're not getting some out of this world deal for HDR which normally costs at least $800.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote: My post was more referring to horrible advertising practices and lack of oversight. Not this thread title.

It can't fake it. Literally all it does is allow the signal to play but it appears in SDR. There's no faking.

Trust me when you see a true HDR display you will see a huge difference. This has nothing to do with savvy AV people. Go into Best Buy and look at all the different TVs. It's immediately obvious and that's why they put on these fancy displays to show it off to sell the more expensive models.

Of you just have $500 and that's what you want to spend, that's fine. We were mostly posting to note that this advertising is misleading and so people know they're not getting some out of this world deal for HDR which normally costs at least $800.
I was in BB and took a look at this TV and the picture was pretty damn nice, bright, crisp...
Now I see that Leons has some HDR or so they advertise TV's, Samsung 58" for $999 this weekend
https://www.leons.ca/product/item/elect ... zc/2076590

This ones says HDR pro... so would that be? And what i was getting at, it's not about budget, but more so about whether the difference between the 4K TV's and HDR tv's is really that different, I'm asking, not challenging
Bestbuy has the same one, in their specs it says:
Picture so detailed, it looks real

58-inch, 4K Ultra HD screen with a native resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4 times that of Full HD 1080p) delivers crystal-clear visuals that will pull you into all of your favourite shows and movies with remarkable realism

UHD picture engines uses a 4-step process to convert non-4K content to near UHD quality, so you don't have to sacrifice picture quality when watching lower-resolution content

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Pro unlocks previously unseen details hidden in the brightest parts of the TV screen, so you experience incredible realism
Motion Rate 120 boasts an outstanding combination of high refresh rate, fast processing speed, and dynamic backlight technology that reduce motion blur, giving you crystal-clear images
Pure, authentic colours

4K Colour Drive uses a wider spectrum of colours and shades to for more true-to-life tones and imagery

PurColour dramatically increases the number of colour adjustment points by more than 7 times, so what you see is richer and more refined

UHD Dimming technology enhances contrast, colour, and sharpness so you can enjoy true-to-life image quality

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... 72308.aspx

I know that these are industry buzz words, but would this be a decent model to look at?
Last edited by jackass_ca on Nov 16th, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote: I was in BB and took a look at this TV and the picture was pretty damn nice, bright, crisp...
Now I see that Leons has some HDR or so they advertise TV's, Samsung 58" for $999 this weekend
https://www.leons.ca/product/item/elect ... zc/2076590

This ones says HDR pro... so would that be? And what i was getting at, it's not about budget, but more so about whether the difference between the 4K TV's and HDR tv's is really that different, I'm asking, not challenging
HDR Pro is just marketing speak. Check out rtings.com to see how they rate the model rather than bother combing through features and technical specs listed on the website. From what I gather it's standard colour coverage if I got the model number right (MU6100). It's better than average SDR TVs apparently but not great.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6100

As for the effect of HDR, this article captures things pretty well:

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-f ... -you-care/
Nov 21, 2016
60 posts
13 upvotes
So i bought the one at Walmart, I was really impress with the built and image quality compared to the Vizio 48'' 1080P that I bought last BF for 349 at amazon, BUT the first one I bought yesterday had backlight bleeding in the middle, I exanged it this morning and the new one is really good no problem at all.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
jackass_ca wrote: So understanding that this is not True HDR, what does it mean to say it supports, does it mean that it can play the signal? I never heard of HDR or cared until last week when my simple 1080P LED LG died... And understand that apparently my PS4 can play HDR? What else can? If this TV could not display or upscale it, would it still not play the PS4 signal in it's highest possible setting?
Lets say the panel is 10 bit capable (whether native 10 bit or simulated on 8 bit) that means you can now represent far more colors in each pixel compared to 8 bit panels (1 Billion vs 16 millions), SDR video is 8 bit encoded so can't really make use for that extended color range. Now comes a TV with a 10 bit panel that can read HDR metadata, it can drive all the 1 billion different shades for each pixels, now there is a good chance that such push in color range might be overshadowed by crappy brightness/contrast yet that doesn't mean its not there.

So this TV being "HDR capable" will present itself to devices (game console, media player, cable box) as an HDR device, so input devices will send it HDR signal, how it gets displayed afterwards and whether it can be displayed with a "distinguishable" difference over SDR version of the same feed is actually another story.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
Stopped by Costco tonight, I think I am going with the Vizio M55-EO... it's Rtings pick for budget 55" - Movies... and it's HDR 10, and has local dimming, again, none of this meant anything to me a few days ago, but after reading the countless discussions of different TV's, it's only $50 or $60 more than the Sony, or Samsung panels that are HDR Pro but mention nothing about HDR 10, etc. Plus, still under $1000 so only $60 for 5 year warranty! I can live with that.
Not really future proof I know, but at least I am tomorrow proof, and can enjoy the benefits of true HDR which I have a lot more reading to do about. As trivial as it sounds, the remote is awful looking. Time to set up the harmony's again!

I took pictures of all the models that London Costco has in in the range I was looking at, no Hisense in 55" just the 65R6107, no Haier in store anymore... Will be spending double over the Haier but I won't wonder and regret when watching.
Now just to wait and see if they are doing BF deals at Costco, or if there will even be $50 or so off the price.

Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
The real question is- does it support chroma 4:4:4 4k @ 60hz? Then we can use it as a pc monitor.

Anyone?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
OK, so one quick question for the HDR gurus here. I was thinking this TV but after lots of reading have decided to try the Vizio from Costco with HDR10, low dimming, etc... However, I run all of my devices through my receiver (HDMI in and out), then to the TV, so as long as I am using proper HDMI cables, will the HDR signal transfer through, for things like BR and my PS4? For me, it's the easiest solutions, rather than having to switch input on the TV, to switch for the receiver.
Or... since these units have so many HDMI inputs now, is the smarter move to go into the TV, then run optical etc out to the receiver for sound? I understand from reading that only HDMI 1 on the Vizio can do the HDR anyhow... thoughts?

Thanks

Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
Im in the same boat as alot of people here. We are all looking for cheapies but overall the reviews on Sharp are mostly "dead/issues after ~8 month" mark. Im not so sure now whether to proceed with a Sharp or not but this does look like a good deal compared to BF. Making me lean more towards the Costco Hisense at this point.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Dec 9, 2017
20 posts
2 upvotes
Does this TV have local dimming/wide color gamut? Really considering this tv...
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1990 posts
1047 upvotes
Winnipeg
jackass_ca wrote: OK, so one quick question for the HDR gurus here. I was thinking this TV but after lots of reading have decided to try the Vizio from Costco with HDR10, low dimming, etc... However, I run all of my devices through my receiver (HDMI in and out), then to the TV, so as long as I am using proper HDMI cables, will the HDR signal transfer through, for things like BR and my PS4? For me, it's the easiest solutions, rather than having to switch input on the TV, to switch for the receiver.
Or... since these units have so many HDMI inputs now, is the smarter move to go into the TV, then run optical etc out to the receiver for sound? I understand from reading that only HDMI 1 on the Vizio can do the HDR anyhow... thoughts?

Thanks
It would depend on what receiver you have. Btw the Vizio M55-E0 also has Dolby Vision support in addition to HDR10
Lorenzo
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
markie99 wrote: Does this TV have local dimming/wide color gamut? Really considering this tv...
I don't believe that it has either.
lorenzo1000 wrote: It would depend on what receiver you have. Btw the Vizio M55-E0 also has Dolby Vision support in addition to HDR10
I ended up going with the Vizio, got it for $749, so a couple hundred more, but from all the reading I did, it was more future proof for me, plus Costco warranty for the win.
Some hiccups in the beginning, but very happy with it so far, and yes, the Dolby Vision is a plus on top of HDR10, local dimming and Full colour Gamut

Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
RCSS has the 60 inch Sharp 4K UHD Smart TV in their next flyer.....699.99 ...... decent price?