Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9013 posts
1183 upvotes

Best Buy - Smartsilk Duvet and Pillow set $99.99 to $199.99

From $99 Twin to $199.99 Queen, looks like a premium duvet/pillow based on this review.

It is also on sale at Costco but from $165 to $289. FS/BB are about 35% cheaper than Costco sale price.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... ecure=True

Smartsilk Single Duvet and Pillow Set (5614)

Filled with 100% Smartsilk, this single duvet and pillow set ensures a comfortable night's sleep. The duvet contours to your body and can help keep you warm or cool throughout the night, while the Smartsilk pillow keeps your head and neck comfortable. Both are certified asthma and allergy friendly.

Product Features
Smartsilk duvet and pillows are all-natural bedding products filled with 100% Smartsilk silk fill

Smartsilk offers a barrier to allergens, including dust mites, allergens and pet dander

Tested for harmful chemicals and naturally processed and resistant to mold and mildew

The Smartsilk duvet contours to your body helping to regulate your body temperature by keeping you warm when cool and cool when warm

The Smartsilk pillow helps to keep your neck and head comfortable reducing the need to flip your pillow during the night

Smartsilk is the first all natural bedding to be certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma Society of Canada and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2795 posts
223 upvotes
Hamilton
doesn't say if its goose or duck down.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9013 posts
1183 upvotes
I assume it is silk or mixture of silk + other natural materials like cotton. Pure silk duvet is ridiculous expensive. If it is 100% silk with good fill, that's a lava hot deal

A bit more information about properties of silk as insulation material, it supposed to keep you cool in Summer, while warm in Winter. I used silk duvet when I was a kid, I remembered the duvet feels very cold at the beginning but once it is warmed up by body heat, it remains very warm for whole night. I guess that's why I disliked to go to bed but refuse to wake up in the morning ;-)

http://ezinearticles.com/?Properties-an ... &id=488797
Nov 21, 2006
79 posts
2 upvotes
82 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 10:46 pm
I assume it is silk or mixture of silk + other natural materials like cotton. Pure silk duvet is ridiculous expensive. If it is 100% silk with good fill, that's a lava hot deal

A bit more information about properties of silk as insulation material, it supposed to keep you cool in Summer, while warm in Winter. I used silk duvet when I was a kid, I remembered the duvet feels very cold at the beginning but once it is warmed up by body heat, it remains very warm for whole night. I guess that's why I disliked to go to bed but refuse to wake up in the morning ;-)

http://ezinearticles.com/?Properties-an ... &id=488797
If what op says about these being the same as the Costco ones (and they do have the same quilted look), then these are 100% silk. I have one from Costco at home and love it. I had an earlier silk quilt from China but it wasn't quilted and the quilting makes a big difference. No clumping! Finally, the price for a King at Costco is about $230 if I remember correctly and it doesn't come with the pillows like this deal at Bestbuy. I'm getting one for a future present.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2005
1030 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver
Best buy's website says the duvet is 100% silk filled and the pillows are a mixture of silk and polyester.

Is this warm enough for winter or is it more of a spring/fall duvet?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9013 posts
1183 upvotes
I just realize the Costco links above are from Costco USA, these are even higher in Costco Canada website. When did you purchased yours for $230? You are not talking about the silk blend in this one right?
http://www.costco.ca/Silk-White-Goose-D ... reId=10302

chat with friends who just bought a pure silk quilt from China, she said if these duvets have a decent fill rate (sold by weight in China), the price is really lava hot. As a side benefit, sine it uses cotton exterior, it may not feel as "cold" prior the warm-up stage.

big-boned wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 11:57 pm
If what op says about these being the same as the Costco ones (and they do have the same quilted look), then these are 100% silk. I have one from Costco at home and love it. I had an earlier silk quilt from China but it wasn't quilted and the quilting makes a big difference. No clumping! Finally, the price for a King at Costco is about $230 if I remember correctly and it doesn't come with the pillows like this deal at Bestbuy. I'm getting one for a future present.

did you order from Bestbuy or Futureshop?
lunik wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 8:01 am
Order one, thanks!
http://www.costco.ca/Smartsilk%E2%84%A2 ... 0104.html#

@lonelydriver, it depends. People in Canada are accustomed to down or down-alternative duvets. Silk duvets will definitely feel cold unless you have a electric heated mattress pad to pre-heat the duvet, so many will complain this is not warm enough for Winter use, but it is actually surprisingly warm after it is warm-up. I lived in HK when I was a kid and there was/is no heat in winter, it is not unusal for room temperature to fall below16C and obviously I survived the many winters with silk duvet.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2003
1299 posts
45 upvotes
do they have real ones for display in stores?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9013 posts
1183 upvotes
Unfortunately no, I checked FS/BB/Costco and there is none on display, it is an online only item. Since Smartsilk is certified by Asthma Society of Canada and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and is significant cheaper than Costco price, I figured can't go wrong, I ordered a twin and a queen.
hugewallet wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 9:21 am
do they have real ones for display in stores?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2679 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
why is bestbuy selling this crap?

arent they only suppose to have electronics
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1130 posts
202 upvotes
Looks interesting...
Duvet's at ikea are roughly 100 bucks but toss in 2 pillows that may or may not be good and it's not that bad a deal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7339 posts
667 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hdave wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 10:14 am
why is bestbuy selling this crap?

arent they only suppose to have electronics
why they are crap? elaborate?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1130 posts
202 upvotes
wlee wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 10:23 am
I think he means bestbuy should just sell electronics.

hdave they also sell whey protein!?!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9013 posts
1183 upvotes
I guess dave doesn't expect non-electronics stuff from Bestbuy. Smartsilk t is definitely target as a premium product. Whether it is a true premium silk product or a fake silk-like natural material, I will find out when I receive mine.

While I consider myself as an Ikea fan, I wouldn't touch their duvet and mattress since I have no clue what kind of recycled or "engineered" materials they use in their duvet.
wlee wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 10:23 am
× < >