• Feb 11th, 2007 4:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1326 posts
165 upvotes

Best Buy Sucks!!!!

I got the new best buy flyer and saw that they had a Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer for 19.99, and thought surely this must be a error. So i go online and check it out to see if there is any price corrections on it, none. So i add 2 of the subwoofers to my cart from the flyer link, as it was buy one get one half off. They went into the cart as 144.99 each, and because i saw that they would give me the lowest price for them in store, i didnt worry about it and said store pick up.

I go to the store to pick them up, a girl brings them up to me and i ask if i get them for the $19.99 and the second one for about $10, she says "if thats the price in the flyer then yes". She scans the one, it comes up as $119.99, and right away bells went off in my head. She then tells me that i will basically be getting 2 subwoofers for 89.99 each (after the BOGOHO), and i asked "why is it that high, it should be 19.99+10+taxes" and then she went over to someone i assumed was in charge (because he wouldnt look at me) and she went to the front security desk grabbed a piece of papar and came back. The paper said that its a pricing error, the sub is $119.99 after $50 savings, and once again, bells went off in my head saying, that the regular price of the sub is 149.99, and subtract 50 from that, is 99.99. So then i just said nevermind, i only wanted it because it was cheap, and left.

I go home call up my local best buy and ask to speak with someone in charge, i get put on hold for a good 10 minutes, and nobody in charge answers, so then i get sent to another person. I tell them the story, they go over and grab the paper, and tell me the same thing, then I tell her that the regular price is 149.99, and $50 off of that is still not 119.99. So she agrees to give me the sub for 99.99, i tell her thats not enough, its in the online flyer as 19.99, i want it for that price. She tells me to call the 1866BESTBUY number and talk to them, and then the call ends (16mins 52seconds long, and i got 20 bucks less than what i started at, and 80bucks more than it should be).

So i am going to call the number later (work soon)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... &langid=EN

thats the sub, and if you look at the E-Flyer, youll see it there STILL for 19.99

if you cant find it, i got a screenshot of it, with the date and time
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
I took a peek and saw that the error (at least for the first link) was corrected. I then looked at BB policies - just like Sears (and, I suspect, other companies), they have this section:

Fixing errors or misprints

We strive to prevent errors. How we fix them depends on the error. If we find that a product description is incorrect, for example, we'll correct it.

In general, you should know that prices and availability are subject to change without notice. Errors will be corrected where discovered. Best Buy reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, including after an order has been submitted, whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is canceled, BestBuy.ca will issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount of the charge. Individual bank policies will dictate when this amount is credited to your account.

While Best Buy takes steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of product and third-party services information provided, please refer to the originator of the information (e.g., the manufacturer) for complete product details.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2340 posts
26 upvotes
It was a pirce error, and they were neer legally required to sell it for that price. Hell, a store could decide to not sell something for the pricei n the flyer. Advertising under law is defined as "an invitation to treat" Basically an invitation to enter into a sales contract with them.

Price errors happen all the time. Trust me, when you left the store the people behind the counter were probably passing on stories about you. You are a retail workers worst nightmare and your persistent badgering of the staff will make your purchases/returns a lot harder. Trust me, they will remember and recognize you in the future.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
abu_sme wrote: It was a pirce error, and they were neer legally required to sell it for that price. Hell, a store could decide to not sell something for the pricei n the flyer. Advertising under law is defined as "an invitation to treat" Basically an invitation to enter into a sales contract with them.
Pricing certaninly is an invitation to treat however advertising it in a flyer becomes a matter of false advertising, not a matter of them being within their rights to refuse to sell at that price.

However, the bold print someone posted above is the disclaimer that protects them from their printing errors being construed as false advertising, so they've got that covered too. However that may not always protect them depending on how the ad is protrayed, produced or distributed. In this case it sounds like an error easily "caught" by the disclaimer though.

A lot of companies will honour pricing/advertising mistakes regardless, particluarly in the early part of the sale (before a correction was printed somewhere) and we've all seen Best Lie do that on previous occasions probably losing more money in those instances than they would have here selling that particular item at $19.99.

As for the OP, that's just tough luck that they didn't honour the pricing/advertising mistake and that's what it was a mistake. I mean if you got the subs even at $20 each (not even including the get one at half off) that would have been a steal of a deal, but you didn't. While you can't be rejoicing over the deal (because you didn't get it) you can't really complain either.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
ES_Revenge wrote: Pricing certaninly is an invitation to treat however advertising it in a flyer becomes a matter of false advertising, not a matter of them being within their rights to refuse to sell at that price.
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any legislation in Canada that forces a company to sell an item for its advertised price. Personally I would love to see it. My attitude is that the ads are (theoretically) proof read, and therefore if the proof was approved by a company representative, then they should be obliged to honor the published price.
Feb 6, 2007
74 posts
3 upvotes
I have to agree bestbuy sucks.

Go to bestbuysux.org for huge lists of cust complaints.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2006
1133 posts
7 upvotes
Yes, I agree that bestbuy sucks, but give me a break...this is getting ridiculous.

It was a mistake. Yes, I believe there are laws against false advertising, but this definitely doesn't fit the bill for false advertising...it's a mistake.
May 4, 2006
316 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Incorrect.

This is not Best Buy's fault, it's the company that printed the flyer... Windows Vista Ultimate is also listed as 199.99 not the 299.99 it goes for in stores. I don't know why you all blame Best Buy for the printing companies fault. If they post ad corrections at the front door it's perfectly fine and legal.

False advertisement would be if in store they has signs that advertised that price and then they refused to give it to you. Like wise with stickers that list the specific product for that price. It's the same thing as someone taking a PS2 game that costs 29.99 in the 9.99 bin and expects to get it for 9.99.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2915 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
what MDG does is false advertisement, what Best Buy did in this speakers case was a true/honest mistakes that they should not be held accountable for.

If you are that concerned about a company honoring their adversed prices walk into any MDG sore with one of their newspaper ads and ask the sales guy that you want to pick up one of the computer with all the advertised upgrades and extras asn see what he response you'll get. :cheesygri
HEATWARE & RFD feedback
I do not sell here to make money. I am simply selling stuff I no longer use. I am flexible with pricing as I want you to get good value for your money. If offering a lower than asking price please be reasonable with your offerings. Thanks.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
doctorofstyle wrote: Incorrect.

This is not Best Buy's fault, it's the company that printed the flyer... Windows Vista Ultimate is also listed as 199.99 not the 299.99 it goes for in stores. I don't know why you all blame Best Buy for the printing companies fault. If they post ad corrections at the front door it's perfectly fine and legal.

False advertisement would be if in store they has signs that advertised that price and then they refused to give it to you. Like wise with stickers that list the specific product for that price. It's the same thing as someone taking a PS2 game that costs 29.99 in the 9.99 bin and expects to get it for 9.99.
+1

In this suggested scenario, they would have to give it to you, plus $10 off due to the Scanning Code of Practise that BEST BUY participates in ;)
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
doctorofstyle wrote: False advertisement would be if in store they has signs that advertised that price and then they refused to give it to you. Like wise with stickers that list the specific product for that price. It's the same thing as someone taking a PS2 game that costs 29.99 in the 9.99 bin and expects to get it for 9.99.
No that falls under invitation to treat. That's not advertising at all. And yes in that case they can indeed expect you to pay $29.99 for it and refuse to sell it to you otherwise--that is within their legal rights (again under invitation to treat).

False advertising is what I said above. However as I also said (and many others have including yourself) is that in this case it can't possibly be considered false advertising and their advertising disclaimer easily "catches" the error which is what makes it not false advertising.
May 4, 2006
316 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
if a customer takes a product and throws them in the 9.99 bin, they do not get the product for 9.99

if you know of a business that honors that, please let me know and i will gladly go and find the most expensive thing, throw it in that bin and totally get **** for dirt cheap.

i'm well aware of the price accuracy code, however 9/10 this case wouldn't apply as 99/100 signs say "and up" to prevent that from happening.

price accuracy policy only applies if the product description/SKU/upc match... if i take a collectors edition of superman, let's say retail 29.99 and find a price tag for normal superman, 9.99 i don't get the collectors for 9.99

it's just common sense, and most of the time customers will just push to see if they can get a lower price.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2466 posts
788 upvotes
doctorofstyle wrote: if a customer takes a product and throws them in the 9.99 bin, they do not get the product for 9.99.
this has nothing to do
if they advertise wrong, well they should take a hit
imagine of people who don't have access to this great site
take time to drive down, deal with clown clerks and not be able to purchase whatever they're looking for ?

and it seems like they make mistakes on a weekly basis on their flyers
how come this mistakes are never like $1000 for an item which is worth $500 ?? it's always the other way around, because they know that nobody would bother going to the store to pay double for an item, but they'd acutally drag their ass down to the store to pay half

they're a bunch of scammers and they get around it...
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2882 posts
356 upvotes
GVR
basically when you see a product on the shelf, it is an invitation to buy and not you agreeing to the price and accepting the contract. It is when after the cashier scans it in and accepts the item without any problems, that an agreement is formed .
My Heatware - My Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)