Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] TELUS Motorola Moto G Play 16GB - $139.99 @ BestBuy prepaid/no contract

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2017 2:47 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
14940 posts
11012 upvotes
Toronto
Jaybeethakillahbee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 5:32 pm
Does it work with chatr after unlocking?
yup. Chatr/Fido/Rogers and more
Rex, eat the salad.
Jul 9, 2007
516 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Is it waterproof like the 3rd Gen? Only 1/8gb is very limiting. With marshmallow, can move very few apps onto SD card. No Google apps are moveable to SD card.
Apr 26, 2003
834 posts
213 upvotes
It's mildly water resistant like the previous ones. Not to say that it hasn't been tested but I would rather not test it. I got mine unlocked with mobifree and it was only $3. Good deals. Have it set up with a rogers sim and it works great.
Apr 28, 2013
133 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Picked one up almost a week ago. Build quality is okay, performance is snappy with no lag, battery life is amazing, size is good, the camera is kinda of shitty/meh (my iphone 5 was better). Still a very good phone for the price and probability better than others in its price range.

Only thing I'm concerned about is that I was planning on expanding the internal storage with an sd card( move apps over). I've been reading this requires adoptable storage to be set, which seems to sometimes kill sd cards.
Nov 29, 2013
81 posts
32 upvotes
gabe3366 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
Only thing I'm concerned about is that I was planning on expanding the internal storage with an sd card( move apps over). I've been reading this requires adoptable storage to be set, which seems to sometimes kill sd cards.
So it's not the fact that you set it as internal storage which kills the SD card. Imagine the phone is a keychain with a couple keys. In order to access storage, you have to open the locked door (storage). The door locks whenever you close the door. Now, If you want keep the door open (be able to use the SD card in another device), you need to take out the lock on the door. When you reset your phone, you throw away your keys and they disappear. If you forgot take the lock out on the door first, you won't be able to open it with your new keys.

So if you're using an SD card as internal storage, remember to format the SD card, before formatting the phone to be able to use your SD card again on the same phone or on another device.

which means if you want to reset the phone, you need to FIRST format the SD card so it can be used in other devices before resetting the phone. I've killed one too many microSD cards this way.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen (Selling....eventually), Huawei P9+, Essential PH-1
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
Jun 2, 2010
3 posts
Fort St John
Beginner question, with this work with Kodoo without unlocking?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3363 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
Trut wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 11:19 am
Beginner question, with this work with Kodoo without unlocking?
Yes.
Sep 21, 2007
309 posts
72 upvotes
Calgary
crayonhead wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 12:13 am

which means if you want to reset the phone, you need to FIRST format the SD card so it can be used in other devices before resetting the phone. I've killed one too many microSD cards this way.
Can you please explain that again? I am killing my SD card by not formatting it first? (And by "killing", does this mean you can't write to it any more?) Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5938 posts
2571 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
crayonhead wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 12:13 am
So it's not the fact that you set it as internal storage which kills the SD card. Imagine the phone is a keychain with a couple keys. In order to access storage, you have to open the locked door (storage). The door locks whenever you close the door. Now, If you want keep the door open (be able to use the SD card in another device), you need to take out the lock on the door. When you reset your phone, you throw away your keys and they disappear. If you forgot take the lock out on the door first, you won't be able to open it with your new keys.

So if you're using an SD card as internal storage, remember to format the SD card, before formatting the phone to be able to use your SD card again on the same phone or on another device.

I find it hard to believe that any device can lock, or "kill" a memory card and prevent it from ever being used again.
Can't you just stick it into an SDHC adapter and then reformat it on your PC?
Put the card into your card reader slot, right click on "This PC/My Computer", select "Manage", select "Disk Management/Storage", then CAREFULLY navigate to your mSDHC card, activate it and select "Format".
Pretty sure that would fix any "dead" memory cards.
Nov 29, 2013
81 posts
32 upvotes
gadgetman wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 11:54 am
Can you please explain that again? I am killing my SD card by not formatting it first? (And by "killing", does this mean you can't write to it any more?) Thanks.
By turning an sd card into internal storage, the phone ends up partitioning the memory into 2 separate partitions. 1 hidden partition (which is what android uses) and 1 public partition. The hidden partition is encrypted, marked as unusable (to other devices, except linux) and write protected.

You'll have a writable SD card with about 20ish megabytes of space.

So if you're going to factory reset your phone for any other reason, I'd recommend this process: pull photos, messages and anything else important onto your computer. format the SD card into a portable device (lets you use it on other devices), then factory reset it.

Woah! wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 12:11 pm
I find it hard to believe that any device can lock, or "kill" a memory card and prevent it from ever being used again.
Can't you just stick it into an SDHC adapter and then reformat it on your PC?
Put the card into your card reader slot, right click on "This PC/My Computer", select "Manage", select "Disk Management/Storage", then CAREFULLY navigate to your mSDHC card, activate it and select "Format".
Pretty sure that would fix any "dead" memory cards.
It ends up partitioning the memory into 2 separate partitions. 1 hidden partition (which is what android uses) and 1 public partition. The hidden partition is encrypted, marked as unusable (to other devices) and write protected. All you can see on your computer is the 1 public partition (unless you're running linux and have an intimate knowledge of how android encrypts it's partition, you should only see about 20ish megabytes worth of space).

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen (Selling....eventually), Huawei P9+, Essential PH-1
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3193 posts
832 upvotes
QC
Do you need to unlock to use it with koodo? I know it's not an issue with iPhone, but some Android are very picky about carrier lock.
Nov 29, 2013
81 posts
32 upvotes
jfmartel wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 8:31 pm
Do you need to unlock to use it with koodo? I know it's not an issue with iPhone, but some Android are very picky about carrier lock.
You shouldn't need to.

Apr 26, 2003
834 posts
213 upvotes
Anyone got any suggestions for cases? Giving this to my daughter and want to get something like an Otterbox but they're not too common. Any suggestions would be nice.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3524 posts
445 upvotes
jfmartel wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 8:31 pm
Moto unlocks are crazyyyyy cheap anyhow
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
10986 posts
2194 upvotes
VANCOUVER
exrcoupe wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 9:31 pm
Anyone got any suggestions for cases? Giving this to my daughter and want to get something like an Otterbox but they're not too common. Any suggestions would be nice.
You sure you want to get an Otterbox case for a $140 phone? Personally, I would just get something off of eBay for $5.