• Dec 8th, 2017 4:54 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2096 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:33 pm
From product page: Review, rewind, and download the footage for up to 2 hours after it was recorded

I guess my question is how do you download? whats the requirement?

Edit: Looks like you can download to your phone at least.
According to the Amazon page it says up to 3 event downloads per month:

https://www.amazon.com/Toucan-WIFI-OUTD ... B01DFIMFS8
Apr 23, 2014
718 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redkulat wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:12 pm
That is true. How well does it detect motion at night if the lights are off?
So far the motion sensor has kicked in every time I approach the door in the dark, and the lights come on. (and the camera captures everything with the lights on). So I don't miss the night vision so far.
Sep 22, 2009
50 posts
16 upvotes
pmorey wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:57 pm
Because of this, I believe the device will be useless to me and to most people without a subscription. I'd hope for at least the ability to review the last 24 hours. Otherwise I'd purchase this.
2 hrs of recorded time is useless to me. What if you are tied up doing something or on the road. At least Arlo gives you one week of recorded video. But then I read Arlo is not good with canadian winter...
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1019 posts
197 upvotes
z8008z wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:48 pm
2 hrs of recorded time is useless to me. What if you are tied up doing something or on the road. At least Arlo gives you one week of recorded video. But then I read Arlo is not good with canadian winter...
I may have this wrong but its not the last two hours of the current time, its total recording time of 2 hours. So if it only records when motion is detected, that's not bad.
Sep 22, 2009
50 posts
16 upvotes
jaigandhi5 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:22 pm
Is Arlo pro the same price?
Is Arlo pro discrete/does not stand out?
Looks like you need a "arlo" system and can't just buy a single camera.
Arlo- are they any good in canadian winters... ?
Aug 19, 2008
917 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:57 pm
I may have this wrong but its not the last two hours of the current time, its total recording time of 2 hours. So if it only records when motion is detected, that's not bad.
It's 2 hours elapsed time, not recording time.
Which means it's totally useless for overnight, which forces you to buy their package.
Upside is that for single camera, price is alright compared to other big name solutions.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3918 posts
863 upvotes
mxzas wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:03 pm
It's 2 hours elapsed time, not recording time.
Which means it's totally useless for overnight, which forces you to buy their package.
Upside is that for single camera, price is alright compared to other big name solutions.
Okay but doesn't it record only when there is motion detection?
Or are you saying it records for 2+ hours as soon as it detects something (even if that motion lasted 2 seconds)?
Aug 19, 2008
917 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Totoriko wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:16 pm
Okay but doesn't it record only when there is motion detection?
Or are you saying it records for 2+ hours as soon as it detects something (even if that motion lasted 2 seconds)?
1. Yes
2. No

it records 2 minute clips everytime there's a motion detected, you can only access videos taken within 2 hours ago right at this moment.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1833 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph
r_malvia wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:52 am
Totally agree with you. I picked up 4 Hikvision 3MP dome cameras at $110 each with a 2TB NVR at $279. This was on sale, so definitely YMMV. Yes, it's pricier than the Arlo, but no way is the Arlo cost effective. It's pretty cool that it's wireless, but wait till you need to replace the batteries. I remember a post about a cordless Bissell vacuum at Superstore for $120 (where everyone else was about $189). I got sucked in and bought it. It only lasted 8 months. I kept it on charge forever, but once I took it off, it ran for about 3 mins and died. Bissell wanted $110 for the battery pack plus shipping. It ended up in the garbage.

If you're handy with running the wiring (really just need to run 1 Cat5 to each camera and back to the NVR as it's POE) you'll save on the installation cost. Pretty much run all the Cat wires under the gutters, eaves, soffits, under the roof line, etc to the attic and drop it down inside a wall. It was painful, but it works great! An electrician quoted me $500 - $600 for the installation.

On 2TB, I have 16 days worth of video before the 1st day gets overwritten. 2 cameras record 24/7, 1 for 12hrs and the last one on line detection with 30s before and after detection. All set for 1080p at 20 fps. No need to run it at 30 fps (which it is capable).

http://www.jetviewcam.com/
Don’t see an nvr on that site that comes with 2tb, it still available.? Which one did you get?
Oct 28, 2008
144 posts
50 upvotes
jaigandhi5 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:11 pm
Apples vs oranges here.

With the electrician quote, you are looking at least $1000. This is a $100 camera that doesn't look ugly, doesn't require wiring to be run and converts you light in to a smart bulb.

Sure it only records for 2 hours, but you will get alerted and have 2 hours to see the footage. Most people are within 6 feet of their phones at all time.
No night vision, but the motion sensor turns the light on for you.

This is an entry level security camera. Good for deterring some break ins and for me I just want to be able to look outside from a different room sometimes or just see if a package has been left outside. Or take a look at the snow outside from another location.
You need to read it carefully again. I'm talking about the Arlo wireless system compared to a pro grade Hikvision system. Yes, it's probably the wrong thread to post this, but there seems to be some interest regarding the Arlo. When you factor in the possibility of buying lithium batteries vs. hard wired, the cost is comparable minus the installation or DIY. $100 for the Toucan cam is a good deal if you just want to see who's at the door or basic surveillance.
Oct 28, 2008
144 posts
50 upvotes
dtm252535 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:42 pm
Don’t see an nvr on that site that comes with 2tb, it still available.? Which one did you get?
I got the 4 channel with 1TB, but I upgraded at the time and had them swap out the 1TB for a 2TB. Cost was $50/TB. You can probably save a few bucks if you get a NVR hard drive from NCIX, Memory Express, etc. but I couldn't be bothered since I'm already there. Plus if you open it, I think it might void any warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1833 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph
r_malvia wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:23 pm
I got the 4 channel with 1TB, but I upgraded at the time and had them swap out the 1TB for a 2TB. Cost was $50/TB. You can probably save a few bucks if you get a NVR hard drive from NCIX, Memory Express, etc. but I couldn't be bothered since I'm already there. Plus if you open it, I think it might void any warranty.
They let you select hd size when ordering online? Couldn’t even get prices when I followed your link on here on the product pages.
Oct 28, 2008
144 posts
50 upvotes
dtm252535 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:41 pm
They let you select hd size when ordering online? Couldn’t even get prices when I followed your link on here on the product pages.
I live in the area. I went to the store and bought directly in person. You should look for an authorized Hikvision dealer in your area. I heard that the grey market ones on the web (possibly Amazon) can be "bricked" during a firmware upgrade. Be aware!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2409 posts
263 upvotes
Ajax
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:21 am
No local storage options.
That's gotta be the dumbest thing ever. I know it might work for some people, but really if you're going to get serious about security, why not go the distance and buy cameras that offer local storage? I've had a camera running in my front window for three years. If we had to base it on a subscription plan, I'd be -$300 give or take. I also don't trust any kind of system where it's maker can arbitrarily remove access to what is essentially my footage. (I understand there is a basic free option for 7 day storage)
So if I have my cameras 10 years down the line, I'm simply going to trust that they don't stop supporting my cameras and for reasons of technology advancement have to remove my free storage plan?
At what point do they need to dump the thousands of cameras dumping footage for free onto their servers?

This is like renting a water heater. If you have the opportunity to have your own storage, you should. Programs like ispy are really well made, and if you simply have to see what's going on at your house you can get the cloud storage they offer at $8 a month or worst case scenario if your dvr is a computer, you can teamviewer into it to get to the footage. I am sure there are other workarounds to access your footage remotely that doesn't involve paying cloud storage.

just my 2 cents. For a relevant argument see:

https://lifehacker.com/eye-fi-is-droppi ... 1782976294
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16243 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
Kuurgen wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:40 am
That's gotta be the dumbest thing ever. I know it might work for some people, but really if you're going to get serious about security, why not go the distance and buy cameras that offer local storage? I've had a camera running in my front window for three years. If we had to base it on a subscription plan, I'd be -$300 give or take. I also don't trust any kind of system where it's maker can arbitrarily remove access to what is essentially my footage. (I understand there is a basic free option for 7 day storage)
So if I have my cameras 10 years down the line, I'm simply going to trust that they don't stop supporting my cameras and for reasons of technology advancement have to remove my free storage plan?
At what point do they need to dump the thousands of cameras dumping footage for free onto their servers?

This is like renting a water heater. If you have the opportunity to have your own storage, you should. Programs like ispy are really well made, and if you simply have to see what's going on at your house you can get the cloud storage they offer at $8 a month or worst case scenario if your dvr is a computer, you can teamviewer into it to get to the footage. I am sure there are other workarounds to access your footage remotely that doesn't involve paying cloud storage.

just my 2 cents. For a relevant argument see:

https://lifehacker.com/eye-fi-is-droppi ... 1782976294
I agree.
These plug and a play cameras are marketed for those who want an "all in one" solution.
I would assume if these companies go belly up, they would release the api; so users can continue using the product.