Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2409 posts
263 upvotes
Ajax
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:44 am
I agree.
These plug and a play cameras are marketed for those who want an "all in one" solution.
I would assume hope if these companies go belly up, they would release the api; so users can continue using the product.
FTFY
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9214 posts
681 upvotes
Mississauga
Agreed with no local storage option. Curious to which camera have you been running for years now and if you would recommend it?
Kuurgen wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:40 am
That's gotta be the dumbest thing ever. I know it might work for some people, but really if you're going to get serious about security, why not go the distance and buy cameras that offer local storage? I've had a camera running in my front window for three years. If we had to base it on a subscription plan, I'd be -$300 give or take. I also don't trust any kind of system where it's maker can arbitrarily remove access to what is essentially my footage. (I understand there is a basic free option for 7 day storage)
So if I have my cameras 10 years down the line, I'm simply going to trust that they don't stop supporting my cameras and for reasons of technology advancement have to remove my free storage plan?
At what point do they need to dump the thousands of cameras dumping footage for free onto their servers?

This is like renting a water heater. If you have the opportunity to have your own storage, you should. Programs like ispy are really well made, and if you simply have to see what's going on at your house you can get the cloud storage they offer at $8 a month or worst case scenario if your dvr is a computer, you can teamviewer into it to get to the footage. I am sure there are other workarounds to access your footage remotely that doesn't involve paying cloud storage.

just my 2 cents. For a relevant argument see:

https://lifehacker.com/eye-fi-is-droppi ... 1782976294
Nov 27, 2014
196 posts
23 upvotes
North York, ON
Been contemplating to get this budget security cam. But now price has increased to $199
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2409 posts
263 upvotes
Ajax
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:44 am
Agreed with no local storage option. Curious to which camera have you been running for years now and if you would recommend it?
No, I wouldn't recommend mine. It's a foscam knockoff I got on ebay, works okay for recording the front during the day, but because it's inside the IR lights are useless because they reflect off a window. I'm also looking for a good camera for outdoors myself. While the inside camera does a decent job and gets my driveway and any movement, at night the images are useless. If you do decide to get a camera, try to pick one that has decent firmware support, for mine it's non-existent. I suppose I will be looking at Hikvision for outdoors.

Not really thrilled about running cables thru my attic and siding, but ultimately it's what will give me the best security layout.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16288 posts
4935 upvotes
Ottawa
Kuurgen wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:28 pm
No, I wouldn't recommend mine. It's a foscam knockoff I got on ebay, works okay for recording the front during the day, but because it's inside the IR lights are useless because they reflect off a window. I'm also looking for a good camera for outdoors myself. While the inside camera does a decent job and gets my driveway and any movement, at night the images are useless. If you do decide to get a camera, try to pick one that has decent firmware support, for mine it's non-existent. I suppose I will be looking at Hikvision for outdoors.

Not really thrilled about running cables thru my attic and siding, but ultimately it's what will give me the best security layout.
I'm using an Xiaomi Yi camera and one of them is pointing out the side window of my home and it has an option to disable the IR; which is actually better for nighttime view/recording.
Feb 15, 2011
232 posts
77 upvotes
Was going to purchase today, but also noticed the price increased. Thought it was going to be on sale until the 13th.

Ugh...Anyone buy one and not happy with it?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4559 posts
209 upvotes
Burnaby
tazz131 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:44 pm
Was going to purchase today, but also noticed the price increased. Thought it was going to be on sale until the 13th.

Ugh...Anyone buy one and not happy with it?
The site stated it was until Dec 6 which was yesterday.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Nov 27, 2014
196 posts
23 upvotes
North York, ON
Yeah same situation here. I only started looking at this thread yesterday
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16288 posts
4935 upvotes
Ottawa
neilcutter wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:09 pm
Yeah same situation here. I only started looking at this thread yesterday
Boxing Day ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2409 posts
263 upvotes
Ajax
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:40 pm
I'm using an Xiaomi Yi camera and one of them is pointing out the side window of my home and it has an option to disable the IR; which is actually better for nighttime view/recording.
Yeah my I can disable the IR, but ultimately I'd like to have a camera outside with IR
Apr 25, 2007
130 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
Now $119.99 (save $80) at BB! Ends Dec14.

I ordered 2 on Wed @$99.99 and received them this morning. Will try to install them on the weekend and see.
Thanks OP!