• Dec 8th, 2017 4:54 pm
Apr 23, 2014
719 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:45 am
Only up to 14 days :(
That's too bad...but can't complain I guess. I still think it was good value for $119.

If I hadn't installed it already- I would have tried returning it in store and rebuying it for the current price.
Jan 28, 2016
45 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wolfpack27616 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:49 am
That's too bad...but can't complain I guess. I still think it was good value for $119.

If I hadn't installed it already- I would have tried returning it in store and rebuying it for the current price.
You might be able, depending on when you bought it. It may be within the holiday return policy which normally starts in November and goes until Jan. Also the normal return policy is 30 days, so you can go in for a price adjustment if you are within 30 days.

Call them or go in store.
Aug 15, 2007
250 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Totoriko wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:39 pm
Yes, storing on your NAS is the safest way.
Also, you don't want your data to be kept in the US or China
What software or camera works with NAS, I haven't been able to find one.
Jan 31, 2008
366 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
should be able to price adjust..the last sale was in november...which lands in the holiday return policy
Apr 23, 2014
719 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bdkings wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:39 am
You might be able, depending on when you bought it. It may be within the holiday return policy which normally starts in November and goes until Jan. Also the normal return policy is 30 days, so you can go in for a price adjustment if you are within 30 days.

Call them or go in store.
Thanks for that suggestion. It worked for me. Gave them a call now.

They said the refund would hit my credit card in 3 business days ($40 since I bought 2). Much appreciated!
Dec 17, 2014
212 posts
113 upvotes
biggaroupa wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:49 am
What software or camera works with NAS, I haven't been able to find one.
Get an NVR (with Power over Ethernet with a Western DIgital Purple hard drive and some HikVision cameras. Best buy sells nothing serious for security from this decade. Just gimmicky overpriced consumer garbage. They have one decent brand, but they only carry the CCTV version.

You can also get a Swann kit from Costco. They go on sale from time to time and I believe are rebranded Hikvision products.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2847 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
Screw it, for $100 I think it' s worth risking it.

I like how it converts the existing light in to a smart light too. I've been wanting to buy a smart switch of light for that location anyways, so it saves me some $$ there as well.

Homedepot.com also has mostly positive reviews on this. Hope it holds up for a long time.
:arrow: :arrowl:
Jan 28, 2016
45 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wolfpack27616 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:16 am
Thanks for that suggestion. It worked for me. Gave them a call now.

They said the refund would hit my credit card in 3 business days ($40 since I bought 2). Much appreciated!
No problem, I'm happy you were able to get the adjustment. You will get approx $45, they will refund you $40 plus tax.
Apr 23, 2014
719 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jaigandhi5 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:35 am

I like how it converts the existing light in to a smart light too. I've been wanting to buy a smart switch of light for that location anyways, so it saves me some $$ there as well.
One reason why I bought this. Nice to not have to buy another smart bulb/switch or having to buy a motion sensor bulb and then replace batteries.

I have set this to turn on when it detects motion (and it then captures the video)- so I don't have to worry about walking to the door in darkness.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2847 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
wolfpack27616 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:51 am
One reason why I bought this. Nice to not have to buy another smart bulb/switch or having to buy a motion sensor bulb and then replace batteries.

I have set this to turn on when it detects motion (and it then captures the video)- so I don't have to worry about walking to the door in darkness.
How's it working for you so far?

any issues with motion detection etc? How is the app?
:arrow: :arrowl:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8497 posts
795 upvotes
i am curious where do you guys mount this camera? if not high enough, it will get stolen or ppl can use baseball stick and knock it down...?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 23, 2014
719 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jaigandhi5 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:57 am
How's it working for you so far?

any issues with motion detection etc? How is the app?
So far so good. I had to turn down the motion detection sensitivity to 50% to cut down the false alarms. It seems to notify me on the phone without any noticeable delay.

App is ok- My free cloud trial is over- so I am kind of missing the archived footages. But, I am pretty happy with the purchase so far.
Last edited by wolfpack27616 on Dec 6th, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 28, 2010
37 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Pulled the trigger on this one. This whole thread has been really valuable. Thank you everyone. RFD FTW!
Apr 23, 2014
719 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kiasu wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:18 am
i am curious where do you guys mount this camera? if not high enough, it will get stolen or ppl can use baseball stick and knock it down...?
I had mounted it just below the light. It doesn't stand out too obviously for somebody to notice it and try and break it.

I decided the mounting position/height based on ensuring I am able to see the person clearly. If i had mounted it too high, anybody wearing a cap and hoodie can just walk up with their heads down and I won't be able to capture their face.