• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 10:44 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17750 posts
4437 upvotes

[Best Buy US] WD 8TB External (Good chance of a Red) - $200USD

Usually I'm a fan of Seagate due to cost, but this is unshuckingly good.
Get it? Shucking? Cause you have to shuck it to get it?
Yeah that was bad.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

Proof it's a red:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/66br9n/yup_that_deal_at_bb_this_week_is_reds/

As with any external, YMMV.
32 replies
Mar 26, 2011
828 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
At first I was trying to figure out what was up with the downvotes, then I realized it's the US BestBuy.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2426 posts
315 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Does WD still encrypt their drives? so if you take the drive out of the enclosure all the data will be unreadable unless you go back to using the usb<->sata bridge inside the enclosure?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4251 posts
609 upvotes
i dont get the downvotes, its a great deal even if its limited to people who can pick it up from the US.
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
May 6, 2014
87 posts
30 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres, QC
Kevinck wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:49 am
Does WD still encrypt their drives? so if you take the drive out of the enclosure all the data will be unreadable unless you go back to using the usb<->sata bridge inside the enclosure?
naw i've already used an external WD HDD as a media drive (sata conected) in my rig
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1478 posts
241 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Its a huge risk, imagine buying this and not getting a red inside...

I am now building a Plex NAS so was considering the Red however the 5400rpm and higher price keeps me away. Looking into the Seagate 8TB Ironwolf NAS which is cheaper and is at 7200rpm...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17750 posts
4437 upvotes
BenK wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:54 am
i dont get the downvotes, its a great deal even if its limited to people who can pick it up from the US.
I hear ya. They're probably just bitter that they have no idea how to get the drive to Canada.

EDIT: Hey! There's metrics on why people are downvoting how.

Not a good price 11% - Last I checked, there isn't any better price or I'd have my credit card out.
Bad product/service 6% - I thought people liked WD over Seagate.
Poor merchant reputation 0% - They at least like Best Buy
Unable to get the deal 33% - Yup. As I figured. Even after reshipping it's still a pretty good price, especially if you're reshipping in bulk. Although there is a limit of 3.
Other (downvote) 6% - "I'm just generally bitter"

TurboTronix wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:17 am
Its a huge risk, imagine buying this and not getting a red inside...
I don't know... $270CAD for an 8TB is still pretty damn good.
The only thing that's ever been cheaper to my knowledge is that $200 8TB Seagate SMR external that Seagate was selling directly.
I'm not usually one for not using Seagates, but I will take a non SMR drive over an SMR drive.
I am now building a Plex NAS so was considering the Red however the 5400rpm and higher price keeps me away. Looking into the Seagate 8TB Ironwolf NAS which is cheaper and is at 7200rpm...
What? Where are you seeing it cheaper?
Lowest price in Canada I can find is like $380CAD.
Lowest price in the US (with 5 seconds of looking) is $270USD.
Last edited by death_hawk on Apr 20th, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3037 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto
Kevinck wrote:
Kevinck wrote:
Yes they do.
dukart wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:59 am
naw i've already used an external WD HDD as a media drive (sata conected) in my rig
The issues is removing the drive from it's original enclosure with data already on it. WD encrypts the data so that it can not be read by any other controller. You can always format the drive and use it in another enclosure/internal.
Jul 3, 2016
15 posts
3 upvotes
I bought a WD 8TB external hard drive only CAD 249.99+TAX in best buy few weeks ago. I saw the cheapest is seagate 8TB external hard drive in amazon.ca last year , it only sale CAD199 . I don't think this is a good deal for us in Canada, don't you need to pay taxes and exchange to USD?
Feb 6, 2015
60 posts
32 upvotes
Okotoks
lambertke wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:25 pm
I bought a WD 8TB external hard drive only CAD 249.99+TAX in best buy few weeks ago. I saw the cheapest is seagate 8TB external hard drive in amazon.ca last year , it only sale CAD199 . I don't think this is a good deal for us in Canada, don't you need to pay taxes and exchange to USD?
Did you get this one?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/wes ... 82140.aspx?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17750 posts
4437 upvotes
lambertke wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:25 pm
I bought a WD 8TB external hard drive only CAD 249.99+TAX in best buy few weeks ago.
I can't even claim to not have seen it because I posted in the thread.
I'm losing my marbles apparently.
Also that looks incredibly thick. Have you disassembled it to see what's inside? I kind of wonder if it's 2 drives taped together.

EDIT: Some googling says that some may even contain HGST Enterprise drives.
Although I've seen reports of everything from that to Reds to Blues.
I saw the cheapest is seagate 8TB external hard drive in amazon.ca last year , it only sale CAD199 . I don't think this is a good deal for us in Canada, don't you need to pay taxes and exchange to USD?
I picked up 4 of them when Seagate had them directly. Didn't realize Amazon had it too.
Some people will pay a premium for WD over Seagate and even I would in this case due to SMR vs non SMR.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1478 posts
241 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
On amazon the Seagates go for 334$ min with free shipping. But you are forgetting that this deal is a russian rollette, you might get a Red or you might not, its not 100% guarantee. So you'll have to disassemble it in the US making sure it's a red before coming back to Canada or else you'll be going back and forth...

I meant Seagate is cheaper than WD in general, this deal if you do end up with a Red is cheaper of course...
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:08 pm
I hear ya. They're probably just bitter that they have no idea how to get the drive to Canada.

EDIT: Hey! There's metrics on why people are downvoting how.

Not a good price 11% - Last I checked, there isn't any better price or I'd have my credit card out.
Bad product/service 6% - I thought people liked WD over Seagate.
Poor merchant reputation 0% - They at least like Best Buy
Unable to get the deal 33% - Yup. As I figured. Even after reshipping it's still a pretty good price, especially if you're reshipping in bulk. Although there is a limit of 3.
Other (downvote) 6% - "I'm just generally bitter"

I don't know... $270CAD for an 8TB is still pretty damn good.
The only thing that's ever been cheaper to my knowledge is that $200 8TB Seagate SMR external that Seagate was selling directly.
I'm not usually one for not using Seagates, but I will take a non SMR drive over an SMR drive.

What? Where are you seeing it cheaper?
Lowest price in Canada I can find is like $380CAD.
Lowest price in the US (with 5 seconds of looking) is $270USD.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17750 posts
4437 upvotes
TurboTronix wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:57 pm
On amazon the Seagates go for 334$ min with free shipping. But you are forgetting that this deal is a russian rollette, you might get a Red or you might not, its not 100% guarantee. So you'll have to disassemble it in the US making sure it's a red before coming back to Canada or else you'll be going back and forth...
Yeah that's the gamble with externals.
There's no point in disassembling in the US anyway because it doesn't matter what you get because I highly doubt you're going to be able to return it disassembled.
Plus you void the warranty.
But considering these are $200 vs like $400 for the actual drive, it's still a decent gamble.

I meant Seagate is cheaper than WD in general, this deal if you do end up with a Red is cheaper of course...
It's hard to compare bare drives to externals.
It's the same drive, but for some reason they fire sale externals. The gamble kind of makes it worth it sometimes.
Apr 12, 2017
35 posts
6 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:45 pm
EDIT: Some googling says that some may even contain HGST Enterprise drives.
Although I've seen reports of everything from that to Reds to Blues.
I thought Western Digital didn't make 8TB Blue drives. Is there any report you can link to about someone not getting an 8TB Red drive after shucking? I'd be curious to see what they got. I didn't see one in the reddit link you posted.
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:45 pm
that looks incredibly thick.
That's what she said
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel