Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] [Warm] Seagate Expansion 10TB Desktop External HD (STEB10000400) $229

[OP]
Sep 28, 2009
151 posts
467 upvotes
Leduc,AB

[Best Buy] [Warm] Seagate Expansion 10TB Desktop External HD (STEB10000400) $229

Lowest price was $199 on Black Friday.
Current price still represents good value for those interested in removing the drive.
Inside: 10TB BarraCuda Pro ST10000DM0004, CMR drive

1% Cashback on Rakuten BestBuy link:
https://www.rakuten.ca/best-buy

Video on how to "shuck" drive:
52 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1945 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Still waiting for it to go back at $199 or lower.
Apr 13, 2004
198 posts
96 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
Have been running 4 of these in a FreeNAS since they went on sale for BF. Ama
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2004
2735 posts
337 upvotes
Montreal
Decent price.
Might not see $199 again till next Black Friday.
An RFDer and his credit card number are soon parted.
Banned
Feb 15, 2020
22 posts
37 upvotes
Got 2 of these over BF and then a WD elements.

Shucked a Seagate and WD. Got the 7200 rpm barracuda pro and white label 5400 rpm.

Seagate performs great.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1052 posts
600 upvotes
AB
Shucked a bunch during Black Friday, love the barracuda pro drives.

Will wait until under $200 to buy more
Oct 24, 2019
9 posts
2 upvotes
Guessing these drives are B stock some how. They are not the same quality/reliable as the main drives, do not test as well or refrubuised returns (I know companies need to state if it is refrub). So instead of junking the drive they can use them in an enclosure where they know people will just be writing to the drive and just storging the data. Since the drive is not being used all the time, no problem. I know lots of people have had great luck but I think I will just wait and buy the real drive. There has to be a reason as to why the price is so much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2162 posts
485 upvotes
MahlerMusic wrote: Guessing these drives are B stock some how. They are not the same quality/reliable as the main drives, do not test as well or refrubuised returns (I know companies need to state if it is refrub). So instead of junking the drive they can use them in an enclosure where they know people will just be writing to the drive and just storging the data. Since the drive is not being used all the time, no problem. I know lots of people have had great luck but I think I will just wait and buy the real drive. There has to be a reason as to why the price is so much cheaper.
It is quite poetic but you are in the wrong forum. Please go here.
Oct 24, 2019
9 posts
2 upvotes
andreid wrote: It is quite poetic but you are in the wrong forum. Please go here.
I'm sad you would group me in with those people.
Aug 28, 2005
34 posts
Toronto
Has anyone noticed that these drives are quite loud at startup?
Jul 14, 2019
315 posts
519 upvotes
MahlerMusic wrote: Guessing these drives are B stock some how. They are not the same quality/reliable as the main drives, do not test as well or refrubuised returns (I know companies need to state if it is refrub). So instead of junking the drive they can use them in an enclosure where they know people will just be writing to the drive and just storging the data. Since the drive is not being used all the time, no problem. I know lots of people have had great luck but I think I will just wait and buy the real drive. There has to be a reason as to why the price is so much cheaper.
You would be incorrect in guessing that - there is a 7200 RPM PMR Helium filled Barracuda Pro inside, which is a $550 standalone drive. This is an excellent deal whether it's $199 or $229, there are no other drives that come close for the money. Seagate doesn't even have an entry level 10TB SKU. Takes about 20 seconds with a flathead to get it out of the case.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1081 posts
1265 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Maybe someone can chime in...

I got the 8TB version (STEB8000100) of this drive from Staples about 2 years ago to upgrade my Plex server. I've now learned (or so I understood) that the 8TB drive inside is a SMR drive and only 5400 RPM. From what I got from @EternalKobe (great name BTW) is that this 10TB revision would have a 7200 RPM Barracuda Pro in it?

Would there be any point in upgrading to this for a Plex server? I don't quite need the space now...but likely will not too far down the road.
Nov 23, 2004
316 posts
412 upvotes
Ontario
ChippewaBarr wrote: Maybe someone can chime in...

I got the 8TB version (STEB8000100) of this drive from Staples about 2 years ago to upgrade my Plex server. I've now learned (or so I understood) that the 8TB drive inside is a SMR drive and only 5400 RPM. From what I got from @EternalKobe (great name BTW) is that this 10TB revision would have a 7200 RPM Barracuda Pro in it?

Would there be any point in upgrading to this for a Plex server? I don't quite need the space now...but likely will not too far down the road.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?