Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Wemo Mini Smart Plug $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 4:48 pm
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one of these last week, and I'll be returning it. Garbage. When it works it's fabulous, however it loses the connection to the router once a day and needs a reset. Do a search online and see how many people complain about this (including all the Best Buy reviews which have mysteriously been rated at 5 starts because their site is broken.) Needing a manual unplug and reset once a day renders it pointless. So I'll be returning mine and buying a TP Link or some other brand of smart plug. Wemo just isn't worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
The Canterbury Tail wrote: I bought one of these last week, and I'll be returning it. Garbage. When it works it's fabulous, however it loses the connection to the router once a day and needs a reset. Do a search online and see how many people complain about this (including all the Best Buy reviews which have mysteriously been rated at 5 starts because their site is broken.) Needing a manual unplug and reset once a day renders it pointless. So I'll be returning mine and buying a TP Link or some other brand of smart plug. Wemo just isn't worth it.
Are you talking about the wemo mini specifically?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2862 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
The Canterbury Tail wrote: I bought one of these last week, and I'll be returning it. Garbage. When it works it's fabulous, however it loses the connection to the router once a day and needs a reset. Do a search online and see how many people complain about this (including all the Best Buy reviews which have mysteriously been rated at 5 starts because their site is broken.) Needing a manual unplug and reset once a day renders it pointless. So I'll be returning mine and buying a TP Link or some other brand of smart plug. Wemo just isn't worth it.
FWIW I've found the tplink smart plugs to be rock solid.
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
Wiseman wrote: Are you talking about the wemo mini specifically?
Yes the Wemo Mini. Haven't tried any of their others, and based off my experience with the mini I won't be.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3740 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
GeeCee wrote: FWIW I've found the tplink smart plugs to be rock solid.
Tplink will be 30% off come Black Friday!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Yes the Wemo Mini. Haven't tried any of their others, and based off my experience with the mini I won't be.
I've had the regular wemo switch, light switch and insight for over 2 years no problem. I guess the issue is just with the minis.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
some1not wrote: Tplink will be 30% off come Black Friday!
TP-Link WiFi switches, plugs and bulbs have been 50% off at BB/Amazon.ca a couple of times over the last month. They've been rock-solid for me. Easy setup, reliable operation.

But if you're planning to get into home automation beyond a few experimental devices, you might want to consider future cost and deployment strategy and end up going with Zigbee or Z-Wave instead of WiFi.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I'm thinking of getting a SmartThings hub and connecting a load of stuff up that way, including my Hue's.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: FWIW I've found the tplink smart plugs to be rock solid.
I agree. Bought Wemo before tried it for a week, kept dropping, problems connecting, one of them didn't even wanna connect at all. Returned them all to Lowes.

Bought TP Link from Best Buy and it's AMAZING. Works flawlessly.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
Exp315 wrote: TP-Link WiFi switches, plugs and bulbs have been 50% off at BB/Amazon.ca a couple of times over the last month. They've been rock-solid for me. Easy setup, reliable operation.

But if you're planning to get into home automation beyond a few experimental devices, you might want to consider future cost and deployment strategy and end up going with Zigbee or Z-Wave instead of WiFi.
Can you elaborate a little? I'm about to buy a bunch of switches, just deciding which brand to go with. I have also preordered an amazon echo for the voice control. What will I not to able to do with the tp-link switches + amazon echo?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: Can you elaborate a little? I'm about to buy a bunch of switches, just deciding which brand to go with. I have also preordered an amazon echo for the voice control. What will I not to able to do with the tp-link switches + amazon echo?
The TP-Link Wifi switches and plugs work great, and they're a smart buy if you only need a few because they're on sale cheap and they don't need a bridge. But if you get into home automation and you decide that you are going to automate your whole home with smart plugs, switches, bulbs, dimmers, motion detectors etc., you need to consider two things:

1. WiFi devices are a little more expensive than Zigbee/Z-Wave devices on average due to needing more complex chips with more power. Eventually that makes up for the cost of a hub if you are buying a lot.

2. While WiFi networks can technically handle up to 256 devices, the home router manufacturers never really expected that you were going to clutter up your home network with dozens of devices, and you may start running into capacity and interference problems. Protocols like Zigbee and Z-Wave were designed for this, and they offer extra benefits like lower power consumption and built-in mesh support to extend the range throughout your house.
Nov 9, 2006
475 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
adblink182 wrote: Can you elaborate a little? I'm about to buy a bunch of switches, just deciding which brand to go with. I have also preordered an amazon echo for the voice control. What will I not to able to do with the tp-link switches + amazon echo?

TP-Link switches will not be able to form a mesh network, If you plan on doing lots of home automation, it will be smarter if you plan out most of your devices in advance. You should know the pro's and cons of all the different standards out there. Personally, I would not be using any wifi devices for low bandwidth tasks if you plan on expanding, go with zigbee and/or z-wave.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
Can you define expanding? Like right off the bat I want to go with 2 plugs for the 2 lamps in the living room, a switch for the light over the sink and a switch for the upstairs bedroom that faces the street.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)