[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2320 posts
3318 upvotes
Laval

Best Buy won't accept returns after Jan 06 for items stuck at Canada Post

Be warned with the upcoming Boxing Day sales starting soon,

I bought some Black Friday deals from Best Buy on Nov 24 and they haven't moved on the Canada Posts tracking, they are still in Vancouver at Canada Post waiting to be shipped out to Montreal by ground, Best Buy said that if Canada post delivers them after Jan 06 they won't accept the items returns, even though there where at stuck Canada Post for all this time. If Best Buy also decides to use CP again for Boxing Day deals you will most likely receive you item past the 14-30 day return window with CP current backlog.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1545 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
That is pretty stupid. They can clearly when you receive the item by checking the tracking #.

Return policies and such should be effective from the date you receive the item not the date you placed the order.

Maybe the rep you got was just bad?

I'm fairly certain if you were to receive the item after the 6th, and called CS, they'd be able to help you out. It's black and white. If they say no, escalate to a manager.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13069 posts
3387 upvotes
Montreal
The Posties are now firmly on the top of the Canada's Most Hated List.

I was getting my hair cut yesterday and that's all anyone was talking about - how much they despise the Posties and their union. "F-ing Grinches!"
FourDollarama Shut Down My Thread!
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14047 posts
6456 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
2Riskit wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 12:07 am
Best Buy said that if Canada post delivers them after Jan 06 they won't accept the items returns, even though there where at stuck Canada Post for all this time.
Who at Best Buy told you this?

Here's Best Buy's official position:
My advice:
1. Never trust random BB (or any other) employees. If it's important to you then always get it in writing.
2. Print out BB's official position from the link above.
3. Print out CPC's tracking info to record when you received your order.
4. Learn to use Google. It took me less time to find BB's policy than it did to create this post.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13069 posts
3387 upvotes
Montreal
It's more than likely that BB is just trying to keep as many people away from returning as possible and this is just a front-line defense, like those tickets at amusement parks that state you cannot sue them - it weeds out the feebs.

If you want to return, as stated above, you can return.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2320 posts
3318 upvotes
Laval
bylo wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:22 am
Who at Best Buy told you this?

Here's Best Buy's official position:

My advice:
1. Never trust random BB (or any other) employees. If it's important to you then always get it in writing.
2. Print out BB's official position from the link above.
3. Print out CPC's tracking info to record when you received your order.
4. Learn to use Google. It took me less time to find BB's policy than it did to create this post.
This what I read on BB official page and and your blog link last sentence says " For full details about our extended holiday return policy, please see our Returns and Exchanges Policy." I called CS said they confirmed the same when I called.

btw I know how to use Google you don't have to be rude check out BB link and Google link.

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/blta74f ... ca9a494151

https://www.google.ca/search?q=best+buy ... e&ie=UTF-8

Extended Holiday Return Policy
For items purchased after November 2nd, we’ll gladly give you a refund or exchange on your purchases until Jan. 6, 2019 OR 14-30 days* from purchase date, whichever is longer.
Please note:

The extended holiday return policy does not apply to cellular/wireless devices or purchases from Best Buy Marketplace
A store credit will be issued for any gift receipt returns.
To ensure quality service, returns and exchanges won't be processed on Nov. 23, 2018, and Dec. 26, 2018.Stores in Sault St Marie (Ontario), and all stores in Quebec and Atlantic provinces won't be able to process returns and exchanges on Dec. 27, 2018. Some conditions apply.
*See product specific return policies for more information
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14047 posts
6456 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
2Riskit wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 10:29 am
This what see on BB page and the CS said the same when I called
So why start this thread if you already had your answer regarding stuff you've ordered from BB during BF weekend?

And why title the thread, "Best Buy won't accept returns after Jan 06 for items stuck at Canada Post" and claim, "Best Buy said that if Canada post delivers them after Jan 06 they won't accept the items returns" if you already knew that's not the case?
btw I know how to use Google you don't have to be rude check out BB link and Google link.
I wasn't trying to be rude. I was simply pointing out that answers to these sorts of questions can be easily answered using Google.

Why didn't you post those links or reference them in your OP? Why didn't you make clear what your real concern is?

I had to re-read the "If Best Buy also decides to use CP again for Boxing Day deals you will most likely receive you item past the 14-30 day return window with CP current backlog" in your OP to infer that perhaps what you're trying to say is that if stuff that's bought on Boxing Day week and shipped by CPC should arrive more than 14-30 days after 06Jan19 that BB won't let you return it.

But that seems to make little sense. It's based on several assumptions and speculation that may or may not be true:
1. That BB will continue to use CPC even if lengthy delivery delays continue.
2. That BB won't further extend the return period as they did for BF orders.
3, That CPC's backlog won't be reduced by Jan19 as shoppers avoid relying on them and resort to other shipping methods or buy stuff in B&M stores.
4. That other online stores will have more liberal return policies that BB's.

Why not ask what's going to happen to BB's return policies if CUPW decides to resume striking illegally in defiance of back-to-work legislation or if there are bombs or fires at their warehouses, etc...?

My point is that so far BB has extended return periods in reaction to delays beyond their control as a result of CUPW's labour [in]actions. There's no reason to suppose they won't revise those policies again if, as or when the situation demands it. What reason do you have to suppose otherwise?
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4097 posts
728 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
To be fair, the returns policy on the main website wasn't updated to reflect the postal disruption. The part where you see it's from delivery date instead of purchase date is just mentioned on the blog post.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14047 posts
6456 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dmxlite wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 2:48 am
To be fair, the returns policy on the main website wasn't updated to reflect the postal disruption. The part where you see it's from delivery date instead of purchase date is just mentioned on the blog post.
When I go to BB's website, click Help Centre, then click Returns, it takes me to Returns and Exchanges Policy. This states prominently, "Extended Holiday Return Policy: For items purchased after November 2nd, we’ll gladly give you a refund or exchange on your purchases until Jan. 6, 2019 OR 14-30 days from purchase date, whichever is longer."

That said I find Google to be a faster way to find this sort of stuff because it eliminates the need for me to navigate each site's unique flow. So I did a Google search on best buy canada post strike returns. The first result is to General Shipping FAQ which in turn leads to Canada Post Service Disruption FAQ. That includes "For items ordered after Nov. 2, we’ll gladly give you a refund or exchange on your purchases until Jan. 6, 2019, OR 14-30 days from the delivery date, whichever is longer."

The second result leads to Canada Post Service Disruption FAQs. This is the link I cited upthread. While it may be on BB's blog it contains the same info as on their website.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1350 posts
311 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I'm going to boycott Best Buy.

Err, well, I guess it won't make any difference, since I have not bought anything there in about 2 years.

Last time I went there, I was looking for a case for a Galaxy S5, and they did not have one, since I believe the S7 was the latest phone at that time. I'm not a big consumer of electronics.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9144 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:11 am
The Posties are now firmly on the top of the Canada's Most Hated List.

I was getting my hair cut yesterday and that's all anyone was talking about - how much they despise the Posties and their union. "F-ing Grinches!"
And yet everyone continues to use them.

People should actually grow a spine and start using alternate shipping companies, and not just a few people... EVERYONE. Put them out of business, let's see what their union does for them once that happens...

Just like how everyone should boycott GM and refuse to buy any and every vehicle they make from now on considering we bailed them out in 2008 then they pull the whole crap they're doing now.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3445 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rkjredflag wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 8:49 am
I'm going to boycott Best Buy.

Err, well, I guess it won't make any difference, since I have not bought anything there in about 2 years.

Last time I went there, I was looking for a case for a Galaxy S5, and they did not have one, since I believe the S7 was the latest phone at that time. I'm not a big consumer of electronics.
I wouldn't boycott them, but I'll be happy to reward them by giving them my business only when they have price errors.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13069 posts
3387 upvotes
Montreal
XtremeModder wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 8:55 am
And yet everyone continues to use them.

People should actually grow a spine and start using alternate shipping companies, and not just a few people... EVERYONE. Put them out of business, let's see what their union does for them once that happens...
The problem is that the government is legally bound to bail them out using TAX DOLLARS, like they have done multiple times in the past, most recently when the crown corporation was in danger of shuttering up due to their inability to pay pensions (which are like $20 billion in arrears). Mark my words, but if this continues for another decade without privatization, CP pensions are going to bankrupt the country.

CP is run by social science-educated children using monopoly money.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9144 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 12:29 pm
The problem is that the government is legally bound to bail them out using TAX DOLLARS, like they have done multiple times in the past, most recently when the crown corporation was in danger of shuttering up due to their inability to pay pensions (which are like $20 billion in arrears). Mark my words, but if this continues for another decade without privatization, CP pensions are going to bankrupt the country.

CP is run by social science-educated children using monopoly money.
So you’re saying if people literally 100% stopped using them the government would just keep bailing them out indefinitely?
Mar 26, 2005
741 posts
715 upvotes
St Clements, MB
All my Black Friday & Cyber Monday orders with Canada Post have been delivered or are actually in transit after being processed.

I highly doubt that there is still any major backlog of domestic expidited parcels from Black Friday or Cyber Monday left in trailers for Canada Post to process.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)