• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2019 12:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes

best call/text forwarding service to the US

already have a t-mobile number for years now but finally thinking about giving up my koodo 5gb/$48 sask/mb plan

wanting a plan where I can receive calls/sms with a flat rate, with a decent app in iOS, to my US number

already aware of voip.ms..anyone using it or have other suggestions?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1730 posts
1288 upvotes
Bay Area
If you're going to be using a US number anyway, I suggest porting to Google Voice as it simply has the best integration right now. MMS and group texting work flawlessly, and calling anywhere within the US and Canada is completely free as long as you have a data plan or wifi connection.

With voip.ms, you still get charged per minute rates for inbound and outbound calls. Granted they're typically less than 1 cent/min but still it's not free. Plus you'll still need a data plan for 24/7 connectivity, so the end result is it's not quite as convenient as using Google Voice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
i thought GV does not port Canadian numbers?

voip.ms' flat rate does not charge by the minute for incoming, outgoing i'll be using the US number

it says something about 2 channel, not sure what that is. Also read on reddit the SMS in-app on iOS sucks
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1730 posts
1288 upvotes
Bay Area
Hang on, so do you intend on using the US number for outbound calls only, and will use a Canadian number for inbound calls? Or do you want to use your US number for both outbound AND inbound calls? Because in your first post you mentioned wanting to receive calls/SMS on your US number as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
i'm up for anything as long as it's a flat rate and not a hassle

i'm hoping to retain my Canadian number, so people in Canada cab still call/text me should they not use iMessage/WhatsApp etc.
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1730 posts
1288 upvotes
Bay Area
VoIP by its very nature will involve a bit of hassle especially if you want to keep both a US and Canadian number on the same phone, so let's break it down step by step.

- If you port your US number to Google Voice, then all calls and texts (SMS/MMS) to Canada and US become 100% free with no rates of any kind to worry about. There is a one time $20 USD fee to port your US number to Google Voice though

- If you want to retain your Canadian number, you're going to have utilize another voip service that allows porting in a Canadian number. There's a VoIP megathread you can check out to get an idea of the various providers and their pros and cons. If we use voip.ms as an example, there's a $8.75 USD fee to port in your Canadian number

- Unless you port both your US and Canadian number to voip.ms, you'll need two separate SIP apps for managing the US and Canadian numbers -- Google Voice/Hangouts for the US number, and another of your choosing (typically Groundwire/Bria for calls, and voip.ms SMS for texts, OR Fongo's own app for both if you end up using Fongo) for the Canadian one

- However you decide to port your numbers, you will still need a data-only plan if you'd like to have any kind of connectivity at all when on the go
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
i dont need to port my US number, as it's already ultd talk/text with 5GB data anywhere in NA (Can/US/Mex)

so those who port a Canadian number to VoIP usually run two apps, one for talk one for sms?

why wouldn't they consolidate with Fongo unless the quality is poor? I recall call quality was barely passable when I tried it few years back and it would disconnect when switching from data to wifi. Guesst hat has not changed? Didn't get to try the texts. Can Fongo call/text out using my Canadian number?
Russell wrote: