• Sep 24th, 2017 11:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1043 posts
35 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 9:58 am
If you think your Iphone takes better pics than your 60D, I would respectfully suggest that you learn to better use your camera gear. Learn to adjust the aperture to say F7.0 or higher values, so your depth of field is huge and everything is in focus. When you want bokeh / background blur, switch your aperture to lower numbers. Learn to use the Av mode on your camera.

I remember being a newbie using the 50mm f1.8 in Auto mode on my T2i, and being confused as to why my shots were not in focus. I didn't know what depth of field was, or understand aperture. Once you figure this out, your photography will improve 500%.

But agreed that the 60D is a fairly large and bulky camera by today's standards. A 6D is a very powerful camera but even bigger, so probably not what you want. I own a 60D and have used it for paid portraits. It's a very powerful semi-pro camera, and upgrading to something else won't necessarily give you better pictures. Improving your skills will.

If you want a small, light setup that's good for travel and high ISO, I would suggest moving to the Sony A6000 and getting the Sigma 19mm or 30mm f2.8 lens. You should be fine up to ISO 6400 with that setup.

If you want to stick with Canon and use your existing lenses, look at the Rebel SL1 or the brand new Rebel SL2, they are pretty much the smallest DSLRs you can buy.
I think I'm well versed in photography, but tell me if I'm missing something. On 50mm 1.8 lens on a 60D even at f/22 my background is still blurry and I'm still getting a bokeh effect. Am I doing something wrong?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13209 posts
3776 upvotes
Toronto
tripleflip wrote:
Jun 30th, 2017 11:01 am
I think I'm well versed in photography, but tell me if I'm missing something. On 50mm 1.8 lens on a 60D even at f/22 my background is still blurry and I'm still getting a bokeh effect. Am I doing something wrong?
That shouldn't be. Maybe you're missing focus? f/22 is way too high anyways for that lens and you will get all sorts of diffraction issues. f/7.1 or so should be all you need, especially on a crop body like 60D. I doubt you're actually shooting at f/22 anyways because that would be letting in so little light that your photos should be extremely dark and underexposed.

It could be that your 60D or lens has issues properly changing aperture. Sounds like your camera or lens may have issues. Maybe aperture blades aren't properly moving?
Pull the lens off the camera and reattach it, see if that fixes things. Try another lens on the 60D and see if you have the same issue. That's how you diagnose a body vs lens problem.

Otherwise you may wanna take it to a camera repair place to have it inspected.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1154 posts
428 upvotes
tripleflip wrote:
It just means you are focusing on something too close. The closer you get, the thinner the depth-of-field. I try your set up into this website and with a subject at 3 feet, there's less than a feet that's within the limit of acceptable sharpness at F22.
To get everything in focus, don't use a 50mm on an APS-C body. Use a wide-angle lens.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3843 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
tripleflip wrote:
That's weird - maybe your lens is faulty and while you think you're getting f22 it's actually stuck at a much lower fstop? What are your iso and shutter speed values that you're able to take photos at f22 on a crop sensor that are well exposed?
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3307 posts
1148 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 10:07 pm
From the bold:
1. Whichever camera you choose, price out their standard f/1.8 portrait lens, DSLR lenses are cheap, comparatively. Also a 50mm on a full frame such as 6D is different than on APS-C or MFT, consider crop factor and focal length.

2. Travelling, you generally want lighter, I don't mind my iPhone 7 Plus during the day. Photo editing is powerful (and free) on a phone now:

So is video editing in iMovie, 4K edited on my phone here. Vids provide richer memories than still photos, I'm not making production value clips anyway, just family stuff like when my wife had to work and missed this, we bought her some :)

3. If you think "iPhone pics generally look better", are you talking practicality? IQ wise, they're not, compared to a big sensor camera and if you use manual controls, shoot in lowlight, shoot in RAW, or view them on large monitors/print them.

Maybe you mean you compose better using a screen over a viewfinder, or you like the already processed iPhone jpg's, and you only view/share them socially on small mobile screens, so IQ and noise differences aren't as noticeable.

50mm f/1.8 STM on 6D is a pretty good combo, albeit heavier for travelling http://www.popphoto.com/hands-canon-50m ... prime-lens, 6D bodies can be had used for $1200-1400, maybe less now that 6DII is being released.
How much is an X-T20 and comparable 50mm Fujinon? Or an A6000 and Sony's 50? If I could afford it, I'd love a mirrorless+lenses for travelling. Maybe an MFT is in my future, I don't know.
Off topic, but I was at that rib fest. It was fun (and tasty) :).
Sep 17, 2017
42 posts
28 upvotes
f/22.......

Check if you aperture is working properly. Just look at front of lens as you change F value. You will need to hold exp sim button while rotating dial on canons.